Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Perfect Tesla Raffle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh. That's quite interesting. I wasn't thinking about re-queuing failing transmissions. Thank you for pointing that out!

As for time zones... yeah, really, the story just gets better the farther west we go.

Thanks,
Alan

Yup.

Quite a back story, song and closing verse!

By the way, please allow me to point out, in defense of my own modesty, as it were, that I didn't choose the title of this thread and have never described the Climate XChange raffle as "perfect". Others have done that... and very kindly so... and I am grateful to them! But also embarrassed, and conscious that like anything else, this raffle isn't perfect. :-( It takes a strong stomach to watch the sausage being made... :)

Nothing is perfect, but this is probably the best Tesla raffle I've seen!

Pollux

Long story, but in short, as a hobby I raise poison dart frogs (not poisonous). I also brew beer for a hobby, and thus have the Poison Dart Brewery. However to make a living I own a plastic recycling business in western Massachusetts where we recycle 25-30 million pounds a year. Trying to help the planet the best we can in that way.

VIN 2970! And a 40, too! Wow, you have committed big time.

Thanks for the confidence in Climate XChange, too!

Alan

In for one. Supporting a good cause and having a chance to win a Tesla is bonus.

- - - Updated - - -

We just had a huge Tesla party at my house in Wellesley on Sep 26... did we somehow NOT INVITE YOU?!?!?! I cringe in shame!! I am pretty sure that we didn't have anyone else at all from the poison dart frog, plastics recycling and/or Whateley communities. :-( Probably a few brewers, though.

Very sorry if we didn't get an invitation out to you for the party... I did try to get attention for it here on TMC... but I don't remember issuing an invitation to Poison Dart Brew.... :-( :-( :-(

Pollux

Long story, but in short, as a hobby I raise poison dart frogs (not poisonous). I also brew beer for a hobby, and thus have the Poison Dart Brewery. However to make a living I own a plastic recycling business in western Massachusetts where we recycle 25-30 million pounds a year. Trying to help the planet the best we can in that way.

Pollux,

I was browsing the Climate XChange website. Is the organization's basic strategy for reducing carbon emission the same or similar to this podcast on the Planet Money?

Economists Have A One-Page Solution To Climate Change : Planet Money : NPR

No, there is a rebate involved:

“This bill would amend the Global Warming Solutions Act to require economy-wide carbon pricing, potentially in the form of a cap-and-trade system. It would rebate 80 percent of the revenues to households and businesses, while using 20 percent of the revenues for climate-change related programs, such as energy efficiency and public transit.”

Huge hearing at MA State House today re S.1747 and a couple of alternatives re carbon pricing.

There are many environmentally-minded folks who would like to take the money that comes in from carbon pricing and do the 80/20 rebate described by @EdA: 80% rebated to households, 20% used to fund climate-change related programs.

Climate XChange itself advocates that *all* revenues from a carbon fee be rebated back to the households and businesses of Massachusetts, with the exception of administrative overhead (which I think is 3% or less).

“This bill would amend the Global Warming Solutions Act to require economy-wide carbon pricing, potentially in the form of a cap-and-trade system. It would rebate 80 percent of the revenues to households and businesses, while using 20 percent of the revenues for climate-change related programs, such as energy efficiency and public transit.”

Pollux,

Unlike many of the more higher-income folks on this forum, I make "Model 3 money." :smile: So I can promise you that if the one ticket I was able to dig deep for and buy turns out to be the Grand Prize winner, the Model S would go to the most grateful, enthusiastic home possible: mine. :biggrin:

Best of luck with this great-cause raffle!

Listen to the podcast again. At ~2:43, they start to talk about a income tax refund for the total amount of the tax collected.

Hi, @ryanjm,

I will be beside myself with joy when someone wins the Tesla! But I confess I will be even besider myself -- more beside? besidedest? -- with joy should someone win who otherwise would have had to turn the car down and settle for the alternate cash prize!!

Thank you for your kind words... and good luck to you, sir!

Alan

Pollux,

Unlike many of the more higher-income folks on this forum, I make "Model 3 money." :smile: So I can promise you that if the one ticket I was able to dig deep for and buy turns out to be the Grand Prize winner, the Model S would go to the most grateful, enthusiastic home possible: mine. :biggrin:

Best of luck with this great-cause raffle!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, @Madartist,

It's late and I'm tired and should be sleeping rather than posting. But I need to ask: are you talking about S.1747? Or one of Pacheco's bills and, if so, which one?

Thanks,
Alan

Listen to the podcast again. At ~2:43, they start to talk about a income tax refund for the total amount of the tax collected.

Alan,

My original question was about the similarity between the idea described in this Planet Money podcast which I referenced above and the Climate XChange's strategy for reducing carbon emissions. I remember when I first heard this podcast 2 years ago, I thought this seems like a great idea. I only wished that our politicians have the guts to try it in real life to see if it can actually work. I'm glad that your organization is taking the initiative to try it in MA. Anyway, I'm glad to contribute to a worthy cause. Tickets brought. Best of luck in your fundraising and this important initiative.

Steve

Hi, Steve,

Thank you for the pointer to the Planet Money podcast. I haven't had time to listen to it yet but looked at the written summary on the web page, which amounted to "carbon tax + income tax reduction". We have had extensive discussions about this possibility and here's where we're currently at from a Climate XChange perspective.

First, putting a price on carbon absolutely could be done with a tax. But there are political problems with a tax. After decades of people feeling like government is ripping off their money (and, sadly, so many cases of genuine waste, of money redirected from the purpose voters approved to purposes closer to particular politicians' hearts, etc.), taxes are hard for people to sign up for. Even if the tax is small, or the overall burden is less than 40 years ago, or, or, or. In MA in particular, the Republican governor, Charlie Baker, doesn't want to be involved with a new tax.

That said, there is a legal and real difference between a tax and a fee. Although in the public mind they may all be conflated as "tax". So in MA, S.1747 proposes a fee rather than a tax. The fee is paid by the importers of fossil fuels into Massachusetts.

Now, what to do with this money? The cynical among us -- including even me -- would argue that the pot of money is too tempting. We'll start off with a discussion of all the good things we could do with this money and wind up allocating money to feel-good make-work projects. While I'm actually a person who believes that unions serve a useful purpose for their members and society, I'm not enthusiastic about diverting money to the traditional labor agenda, which appears to me to always involve dubious infrastructure projects that are required to hire union-only staff. So Climate XChange advocates -- and S.1747 implements -- a rebate program that returns all of the carbon fee revenue to the individuals and businesses of Massachusetts. OK, all except an administrative program overhead, which we expect to be very small (e.g., around 1% or less).

When we looked at changing the income tax rate downwards, we found that the overall impact on people was very small. It's hard to move the income tax rate downwards in a significant way when the money we're talking about here is small relative to the overall economic pie in MA. I'm making these numbers up but let's say for example that today's income tax rate in MA is 5.95%; maybe we could move it down to 5.90%. That's hardly emotionally or even financially appealing.

So that means that in MA we are pairing a carbon fee with a rebate. Checks will get cut to the residents and to the businesses.

I hope this answer helps.

Also... thanks for your kind words! And thank you for supporting Climate-XChange and our Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle!

Alan

Alan,

My original question was about the similarity between the idea described in this Planet Money podcast which I referenced above and the Climate XChange's strategy for reducing carbon emissions. I remember when I first heard this podcast 2 years ago, I thought this seems like a great idea. I only wished that our politicians have the guts to try it in real life to see if it can actually work. I'm glad that your organization is taking the initiative to try it in MA. Anyway, I'm glad to contribute to a worthy cause. Tickets brought. Best of luck in your fundraising and this important initiative.

Steve