Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Performance Upgrade Package Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, does look nice.

I heard you can’t put the 18” on there with the upgraded brake calibers, which is annoying because I was considering the $2000 aero/winter wheel combo. If I want another set of wheels for winter tires, would the 19” work? Unfortunately that combo is $3500.
Much cheaper aftermarket for the wheels and tires. The winter package listed for the 18” isn’t too bad, but the 19” is almost $1000 over what it should be.

Reposting a pic from FlyNavy01. The wheels and brakes look great.

That’s my pic! And I love my performance-package P3D ... the stance is still a bit high, but the larger rims appear to fill the wheel well better... plus the red calipers really pop. The grippier tires are the biggest difference in performance on the street, but honestly they still could be fatter... fine for hoonage, but definitely a compromise between performance and efficiency . Brakes are rarely used for daily driving because of regen... so unless you track, they just look awesome. Spoiler and badging have not been installed yet, but I hear they’re good for at least 20hp combined.

That’s my pic! And I love my performance-package P3D ... the stance is still a bit high, but the larger rims appear to fill the wheel well better... plus the red calipers really pop. The grippier tires are the biggest difference in performance on the street, but honestly they still could be fatter... fine for hoonage, but definitely a compromise between performance and efficiency . Brakes are rarely used for daily driving because of regen... so unless you track, they just look awesome. Spoiler and badging have not been installed yet, but I hear they’re good for at least 20hp combined.

Ooops sorry got the name wrong! Do you have an imgur/gallery with more pics? :)

Agreed, for the performance oriented folks the tires need to be fatter. Really looking forward to the first P3D that puts 255 PS4s on their 18s or 20s to see the improvement in performance (not range).

Ooops sorry got the name wrong! Do you have an imgur/gallery with more pics? :)

Agreed, for the performance oriented folks the tires need to be fatter. Really looking forward to the first P3D that puts 255 PS4s on their 18s or 20s to see the improvement in performance (not range).

No imgur gallery, but I attached a few more pics from my delivery -

Attachments

• 54A39322-1BAF-4F87-BFFD-849B51BF7A1F.jpeg
    54A39322-1BAF-4F87-BFFD-849B51BF7A1F.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 6E3462E7-76AE-4AC7-AF41-FB72028A94E0.jpeg
    6E3462E7-76AE-4AC7-AF41-FB72028A94E0.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 0C83EF4D-2A72-4B2B-96C7-2D1198D355B2.jpeg
    0C83EF4D-2A72-4B2B-96C7-2D1198D355B2.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: favo
Beautiful man. The white really looks great on this car.
Haha yup, same config as mine but different owner! I like your style.
Thanks!
The white on white just feels like driving the future... i was waffling on colors for awhile but I’m glad I went with this. I need some tint because of the harsh Vegas sun, but I’m considering going lighter than I might normally just because it’s so cool in a clinical sort of way... there’s something interesting about the transparency with white on white.

You call a Tesla agent, if you could wait an hour and get through, and see if they would change your order without paying the increased fee...

Good advice. And it worked!

After mulling it over, I decided to go with the PUP. I know its vain, but there's gonna be a lot of Model 3's coming out, including the SR one next year. Couldn't shake it that I have the performance version that I dropped $70k for, and it would look no different than the 35k version. So for $5K, it made me feel like I have the legit performance version (like a BMW M3 vs a conventional 3 series).

Yeah, it's probably not a financially wise choice or as mentioned before, more about vanity versus practicality. But hey, might as well!

Now, any advice for cheap 19" aftermarkets for winter tires?

I was test driving the P3+ at Tesla Headquarters yesterday and had the opportunity to ask the sales folk whether the 19" would fit over the PUP brakes. They went and found one of the product engineers who told me that "they certainly will". It looked to me like there was plenty of room as well, and i did try to see from all angles. Now trying to decide if i keep the 20s and get another set of 19s for winter.

Guy from the coffee sleeve video here - I can confirm that the P3D I have (18") has a lowered suspension vs. the RWDs in the delivery center parking lot. We didn't really feel like scientifically measuring it, but it was substantial and obvious. You can tell with your hand right away. 10mm seems like the right number. When I ordered my P3D, however, the performance package didn't mention a lowered suspension as one of its features. So I wonder if my car is a weird outlier - a non PUP, but with lowered suspension - and that new non PUP cars will have the same suspension tuning as RWD/AWDs.

Good advice. And it worked!

After mulling it over, I decided to go with the PUP. I know its vain, but there's gonna be a lot of Model 3's coming out, including the SR one next year. Couldn't shake it that I have the performance version that I dropped $70k for, and it would look no different than the 35k version. So for $5K, it made me feel like I have the legit performance version (like a BMW M3 vs a conventional 3 series).

Yeah, it's probably not a financially wise choice or as mentioned before, more about vanity versus practicality. But hey, might as well!

Now, any advice for cheap 19" aftermarkets for winter tires?

YOLO (yeah, I said it). The 20" wheels and big brakes look and feel great. Tires are a lot better [for performance] than the 18" all seasons. Spoiler is sweet. The 20's don't ride rough at all despite the low profile tires. And the slight height drop is an added bonus. :)

Last edited:
I know its vain, but there's gonna be a lot of Model 3's coming out, including the SR one next year. Couldn't shake it that I have the performance version that I dropped $70k for, and it would look no different than the 35k version. So for $5K, it made me feel like I have the legit performance version (like a BMW M3 vs a conventional 3 series).

Exactly how I felt when I made the decision to switch to the performance upgrade package.

Not paying an additional $11k for a “sleeper”

Exactly how I felt when I made the decision to switch to the performance upgrade package.

Not paying an additional $11k for a “sleeper”

Solid plan until the SR Tesla adds an after market spoiler for 500 bucks.

When I was ferrying groceries in the X I ran into a white Model 3 with white seats.

Under no uncertain terms was I not going to get my ass kicked.

Was not disappointed in the 3 driver. :D

You know the real deal today. Tomorrow.. maybe not so much.

My problem with PUP is I can do the spoiler, painted calipers, pedals and summer tires for under $2k. So you really have to love the 20s and plan on tracking the brakes to justify it.

True, but as I was pricing it out, plus the time it will take me to get those things done, the opportunity cost made it seem OK to just go with this.

Now my concern is, by changing my specs, will it delay me to 2019... because that would really really suck.

That's my config!

So bigger question: Leaving it stock, or chrome delete? :D

One of the things I like about the white is that the chrome doesn’t stand out too much... so with the silver wheels, I think I’m keeping the chrome and doing a moderate window tint.
On the other hand, a chrome delete looks really good if you go full stormtrooper with powder coated wheels and dark tint.

No, the total price is recalculated based on the then current price of all options regardless of whether you change them or not.

Called Tesla support today regarding pricing when adding performance upgrade package. Was told that pricing for items like paint and destination fee will be based on order date. So if completed order before night time on 8/2, price will remain the same. It doesn’t reflect that on their system whenever updating “because of a glitch”, but destination advisor will have appropriate billing statement.