Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Performance Upgrade Package Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ronin

Jul 24, 2018
USA
I was all set on the non-P AWD until finally convincing myself I needed the P. So I have a Midnight Grey P3D Aero on order.

I've been mulling over whether I should have gotten the PUP (which now I'm scared to upgrade to in light of losing my place in line).

Is this package worth it? I can't figure this out. I do like the aesthetics of the red calibers and the spoilers. But that can be done aftermarket for cheaper. I also do like the 20" rims (although wish they came in gun metal), but I've been told that its less efficient and may not actually help acceleration issue.

That leaves the increase top speed (practically not useful), tighter suspension and lowered ride. Is that worth the $5k?

Keep in mind, I'm not a track racer, but I don't want to compromise handling on crazy turns, etc.

Overall, the price is similar to what BMW would offer for a performance package for their M3. So doesn't seem unreasonable.

Please convince me that I don't need this so I can save my wallet. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Robotpedlr
All of the benefits of upgrade are cheaper, and potentially better, aftermarket. That coming from someone that will gladly pay for the upgrade. I'd rather the semi small savings go to saving me the time and hassle of going aftermarket. Additionally this allows me to roll the upgrade into my loan, which is easier to justify with the spouse than extra charges post purchase. Lastly, the setup is well tested by Tesla, so I feel better than using some aftermarket setup. These cars are very heavy and generate incredible forces, and those trying to be cheap with light rims may very well end up paying more in the long run.

Edit: If all you care about is fastest straight line performance for the least cost, the choice is simple, aftermarket staggered sticky tires. Shaving a tenth or two isn't worth the aftermarket pains to me.

All of the benefits of upgrade are cheaper, and potentially better, aftermarket. That coming from someone that will gladly pay for the upgrade. I'd rather the semi small savings go to saving me the time and hassle of going aftermarket. Additionally this allows me to roll the upgrade into my loan, which is easier to justify with the spouse than extra charges post purchase. Lastly, the setup is well tested by Tesla, so I feel better than using some aftermarket setup. These cars are very heavy and generate incredible forces, and those trying to be cheap with light rims may very well end up paying more in the long run.

Edit: If all you care about is fastest straight line performance for the least cost, the choice is simple, aftermarket staggered sticky tires. Shaving a tenth or two isn't worth the aftermarket pains to me.

@khraiv,

^^^^This whole post. Although I’ll still prob add MPP Coilovers if the performance and drop of the PUO is not enough.

Ski

Outside of a track the brakes are worthless

The bigger rims still run narrow tires so 1k to put PSS 4s on Aeros will be better than 5k for the 20s

The suspension hasn’t been shown to be tighter at all, it’s a 0.39 inch drop which sounds more like correction of geometry for the 20s than different springs and shocks which would’ve likely been more of a drop

The extra ten top speed again useless but fir certain track situations

So nope sure doesn’t seem worth 5k at all unless you’re going to track the car decently often

Outside of a track the brakes are worthless

The bigger rims still run narrow tires so 1k to put PSS 4s on Aeros will be better than 5k for the 20s

The suspension hasn’t been shown to be tighter at all, it’s a 0.39 inch drop which sounds more like correction of geometry for the 20s than different springs and shocks which would’ve likely been more of a drop

The extra ten top speed again useless but fir certain track situations

So nope sure doesn’t seem worth 5k at all unless you’re going to track the car decently often

Yeah, I'm more than likely not going to track the car. I'll be totally honest, its more about the looks haha. Maybe I'll just wait for the gun metal wheels and upgrade to those in the future.

I'm also worried Tesla might do something annoying like give later extra modes to the PUP cars only instead of the P3D aero ones.

I'm also worried Tesla might do something annoying like give later extra modes to the PUP cars only instead of the P3D aero ones.

This helped with my decision. I liked the aesthetic bits enough that I was leaning towards it, but the unknown of what Tesla may (or may not) add (track mode) to those equipped with the performance upgrade was made me commit the extra $5k. I basically traded EAP for it, since I personally would get more use out of the performance upgrade than EAP.

Reactions: Gavyne
Please convince me that I don't need this so I can save my wallet. :)

This assumes your originally ordered yesterday or earlier: One thing to keep in mind is that, as of this morning, changing your order to include the PUP will result in an additional $700 price increase as both the paint and delivery fee have increased by $500 and $200, respectively. So it's now a $5,700 upgrade.

This assumes your originally ordered yesterday or earlier: One thing to keep in mind is that, as of this morning, changing your order to include the PUP will result in an additional $700 price increase as both the paint and delivery fee have increased by $500 and $200, respectively. So it's now a $5,700 upgrade.

Oh man, I didn't realize that. It's like a brand new order then? Hah, well, that made my decision a little easier. P3D aero it is!

Oh man, I didn't realize that. It's like a brand new order then? Hah, well, that made my decision a little easier. P3D aero it is!

IMO, the PUP is about appearance and convenience. It's having factory upgraded brakes and tested wheel/tire combo.

The same wheels outside the package would cost you $2k once you account for the loss of the 18s.

I don't know what the value of the brakes is? Just having your calipers painted will be 100s of dollars - so that alone say is 400-800. Add in the actual upgraded brakes - 1500? 2000?

Spoiler and pedals can be done cheaply aftermarket. So you're paying somewhere around $1000 to have factory upgrades. That will be worth it to some people, not to others. Although now with the price increase, I think it's going to be worth it to a lower number of people.

The only video I've seen about the lowered suspension was a guy who used a coffee cup sleeve to measure a LR RWD wheel gap vs a non-pup 18" aero P3 - the P3 seemed a hair lower even with the 18 wheels - obviously this is about as unscientific as it gets, so who knows.

I won't track the car so for me there is no point. I'm just going to put better tires on the aeros. If i were to get aftermarket wheels, they would probably be 18's as well. For me I don't want the hassles of the larger wheel and shorter sidewall, although I do agree they look much better than the smaller wheels.

The brakes will be less of an issue given the 50% stronger regen once you enable track mode. So I'd expect that a P3D (without the $5k performance package) and aftermarket performance tires will do quite well on the track, unless for some reason Tesla decides to restrict Track Mode only to cars with the $5k upgrade, which would suck.

Reposting a pic from FlyNavy01. The wheels and brakes look great.

Attachments

• 1EDF2983-5300-4756-8809-C2EE89F82A69.jpeg
    1EDF2983-5300-4756-8809-C2EE89F82A69.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 144
Reposting a pic from FlyNavy01. The wheels and brakes look great.

Man, does look nice.

I heard you can’t put the 18” on there with the upgraded brake calibers, which is annoying because I was considering the $2000 aero/winter wheel combo. If I want another set of wheels for winter tires, would the 19” work? Unfortunately that combo is $3500.

Man, does look nice.

I heard you can’t put the 18” on there with the upgraded brake calibers, which is annoying because I was considering the $2000 aero/winter wheel combo. If I want another set of wheels for winter tires, would the 19” work? Unfortunately that combo is $3500.
I have heard that the 19s work. You might be better off buying aftermarket