TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

The Persistent and Elusive Dream of a Diesel Hybrid

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by dpeilow, Jan 10, 2010.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Aug 20, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, and what about CNG hybrid? You can get one or the other but not both together. I can't think of any technical reason why you couldn't do this.
  2. mt2

mt2 Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Chicago Area, Northwest Burbs
    I was looking for a link to back this up, but couldn't find any from a "reputable" source. One of the big hurdles to the adoption of diesel anything, let alone hybrids, is the California emissions rules. As I recall it, diesel is measured in emissions per gallon whereas gasoline is measured in emissions per mile. This creates a real issue for hybrids since smaller diesel hybrids may easily pass the emissions per mile measure, but fail according to the emissions per gallon measure.

Plus, the diesel emissions standards are more strict than the gasoline standards, which is why VW pulled most of their TDI vehicles out of the US market in 2008 and are slowly reintroducing them with tighter emissions controls. Personal experience there, I was considering a diesel Passat and they discontinued them.