Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"The Philosophical Car"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On page 56 of Yuval Harari's book, "21 Lessons", Harari starts talking about how AI might, in some ways, be 'better' at ethics than humans and suggests that Tesla may come out with different models to conform to human ethical preferences. The model names are "Altruist" and "Egoist". Harari devotes over five pages to this and the ideas presented are messin' with my head. As an FSD participant, I can’t tell whether I’m driving Altruist or Egoist because I keep exiting FSD whenever things get dicey. Any other FSD drivers have an opinion?

Reactions: BitJam
We all know that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. But when it comes down to live or die, most humans' instinctual self preservation kicks in, and the needs of the one suddenly outweigh the many. Computers will think logically and 100% kill you to save the group of pedestrians. And that's the right call for society.

Reactions: pg3ttt
My son and his dogs were out in front of my car, unlocking a gate for me to escape the donkey (head home, actually), and I saw the dogs displayed on the screen being displayed sometimes as dogs, but also morphing into children. I wouldn't mind FSD driving into a tree to miss a child, but I would not be okay with that manuver to miss a dog or a coyote. Seeing this reinforced my commitment to keep attentive when using FSD.