Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The phone "key" and proximity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the arrangement of my house is such that my phone is close enough for the 3 to detect it as a key whenever I'm in my office or bedroom. Anyone think this a problem? I noticed when walking around my garage doing some work that the 3 kept unlocking and locking itself (mirrors closing and opening, contactors connecting and disconnecting with loud clunks). Seems suboptimal.

Interesting ok!
I found that when you have trouble unlocking your door (if there is no response with while pulling the door nob) Insure your phone is in direct alignment with the car Bluetooth home, which I believe is in the front of the car. It works like a charm. ( if you have your phone in your right pocket while facing the driver side to open the the door Bluetooth may not read it because your body is blocking the connection) if it’s in the right pocket it’s in direct alignment. have fun!

I found that when you have trouble unlocking your door (if there is no response with while pulling the door nob) Insure your phone is in direct alignment with the car Bluetooth home, which I believe is in the front of the car. It works like a charm. ( if you have your phone in your right pocket while facing the driver side to open the the door Bluetooth may not read it because your body is blocking the connection) if it’s in the right pocket it’s in direct alignment. have fun!

Do you have any idea that you replied to a post that's over 15 months old from January 2018 and that your response really doesn't have anything to do with the concern of the original post?

While helpful, your observation about phone key/Bluetooth signal strength has been covered ad nauseum in other relevant threads. This post was referring to an old behavior where the car once had auto unlock on approach. If you were at home and walking in and out of BLE range, the doors would unlock and side view mirrors would unfold all the time. This was removed with a firmware update about 1 year ago.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: outdoors