TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The Prestige - 2006 - Christopher Nolan and Nikola Tesla

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gabzqc, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Gabzqc

Gabzqc Member

#1 Gabzqc, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Watched this film again today, wanted to suggest it here.

Good story about Magicians that try to one up each other eventually using Nikola Tesla Coil Technology for Teleportation. I dont think he managed this in real life, but perhaps drew up plans for it?

"A friendship that became a rivalry, a rivalry that turned deadly"

Scarlett Johansson

Christian Bale

Michael Cane

Hugh Jackman

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482571/

2. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Great movie. I remeber it came out almost exactly at the same time as the Illusionist with Edward Norton which was set in Austria in the same era, so for me (movie buff) I kept confusing the story-lines :)

The Illusionist (2006) - IMDb

Also, as much as I admire Tesla for his inventions and foresight I don't think a Tesla coil could somehow support teleportation :)

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I will rent that movie on iTunes and check it out.

Teleportation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Teleportation, or Teletransportation, is the theoretical transfer of matter or energy from one point to another without traversing the physical space between them."

Pretty certain that Tesla never managed to accomplish that.

4. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant

i too enjoyed The Prestige though the plot twists seemed a bit contrived at times. But that's Hollywood. Killer casting.
    Regarding The Illusionist, I've wondered if the pendant on the necklace was real or a series of props.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but the book "14" by Peter Clines is a fiction/sci-fi/fantasy novel that isn't about magic. But it does have something in common with the original poster's intent. I recommend it as an audiobook because the narrator does a great job.

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

The Prestige isn't a bad movie, and that's saying something given that I can't stand Christian Bale.