Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The price on tesla in us is not even close to reasonable now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A model y is selling for close to 70k or even more than 80k with options, and model s for 11k? That is just crazy. The Model Y is sold for 35k out the door price now in China, and they are doubled here in US. same configuration, and fsd is also cheaper for like 8k usd. On the other side, For brands like BMW, benz or porsche, The price is actually 30-60% cheaper in US compared to China. So what is Elon trying to do? Stealing money out of our pocket and making huge benefits here?

One thing I had to point out is that, Tesla has much less competitors in the US EV market. Many EVs like NIO or BYD in China are not allowed to sell here and they are just as good or even better than tesla.
correction: after checking the model y is 41.3k in China compared to 66k here in US, so it is 60% more expensive here.

Last edited:
Reactions: DM 216443
Looking at its qualities and finishes on the cars. why not just buy a benz or porsche with that amount of money?
That's the problem. Teslas are in high demand here for a reason. Those cars are lacking something - software & infrastructure. If you want an EV now, there's only one place to get it.

The Limiting Factor is batteries. The others are just barely starting...

(Edit)
The dealerships don't make it any better. It may look cheaper, but that "market adjusted price" makes Tesla's no hassle direct-to-consumer sales a very appealing option.

Why don't you save up & wait for the price to come down?

No, they arent double for the same configuration. Hyperbole like that makes the rest of your points somewhat difficult to pay attention to.
The Model y with 545km range which is 330 miles is sold for 288900 rmb which is 41.3k usd, and the US model y is sold for 66k.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-19 235838.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-19 235838.png
    516.2 KB · Views: 95
You're showing us Tesla's numbers. Why don't you show us the numbers on what you're cross-shopping them to?
Iphone is manufactured outside of US but they are still cheaper here. I know car might be different, but should that be 60% more expensive. Is there really a supply chain problem or material problem now? Or the truth is that there is only some extra charge for shipping. I would love to buy a car there and then ship it here to US, but I think it is not allowed

Iphone is manufactured outside of US but they are still cheaper here. I know car might be different, but should that be 60% more expensive. Is there really a supply chain problem or material problem now? Or the truth is that there is only some extra charge for shipping.
There's a supply problem. If you're waiting almost a year to get your car, that's a supply problem. If you want to look at it from a different perspective, there's a demand problem. That demand problem isn't limited to Tesla, it's EVs in general.

Put wheels on those iPhones and see where that price goes to.

That's the problem. Teslas are in high demand here for a reason. Those cars are lacking something - software & infrastructure. If you want an EV now, there's only one place to get it.

The Limiting Factor is batteries. The others are just barely starting...

(Edit)
The dealerships don't make it any better. It may look cheaper, but that "market adjusted price" makes Tesla's no hassle direct-to-consumer sales a very appealing option.

Why don't you save up & wait for the price to come down?
Yes. I agree, and I am waiting now. The tesla is talking advantage of us, and I am happy to see more and more traditional auto companies are now in the ev market. And guess what, instead of making progress on fsd, new batteries and cybertruck. Elon is sleeping in twitter headquarter and update some useless features like steam in model s/x. Like I am really gonna play some games in my car at my garage instead of my pc equipped with the newest graphic card.

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Yes. I agree, and I am waiting now. The tesla is talking advantage of us, and I am happy to see more and more traditional auto companies are now in the ev market. And guess what, instead of making progress on fsd, new batteries and cybertruck. Elon is sleeping in twitter headquarter and update some useless features like steam in model s/x. Like I am really gonna play some games in my car at my garage instead of my pc equipped with the newest graphic card.
No, Tesla isn't taking advantage of you, but the business is pretty good at positioning themselves well in the marketplace considering the circumstances.

Make a checklist on what you think FSD progress should look like and post your reasoning along with it here, please. Same for the batteries and Cybertruck. I think you'll find that Tesla might be late to their aspirational target, but they are way ahead of the industry.

You'll find that Steam upgrade is akin to Tesla building the Supercharger network. It shows Tesla's ability to work well with other companies and software integration. It may be useless to you, but not to those traveling with children.

Okay, I make a correction, the price is 60% more expensive here. Thanks for pointing this out

The car you are highlighting is also not the same trim as the AWD being sold here (it would be that middle trim in your screenshot). That is, unless somehow china is selling a model Y that gets greater than 400 miles range that is only available there for that second car in your screenshot that is 357,990.

There are other options...

I mean, the Ioniq5 has 270 miles of range and mid-trim is $48k. Contrary to popular belief, you can find them for MSRP...usually requires a non-refundable deposit of ~$500 and a 4-12 week wait list. (Source: My experience). However, it's not eligible for the federal tax rebate anymore. I got lucky and got mine before the cut-off.

IMO, the included Hyundai's Highway Driver Assist (HDA2) is noticeably better than Tesla's Autopilot. It's soooo smooth with zero phantom braking. Acceleration feels equivalent to my 2017 MS75D.

I love my MS, and I love my 2022 Ioniq5. But I would never pay the prices Tesla is asking these days. If something were to happen to my Tesla today, I'd be buying a 2023 I5 Limited without question.

• Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS
There are other options...

I mean, the Ioniq5 has 270 miles of range and mid-trim is $48k. Contrary to popular belief, you can find them for MSRP...usually requires a non-refundable deposit of ~$500 and a 4-12 week wait list. (Source: My experience). However, it's not eligible for the federal tax rebate anymore. I got lucky and got mine before the cut-off.

IMO, the included Hyundai's Highway Driver Assist (HDA2) is noticeably better than Tesla's Autopilot. It's soooo smooth with zero phantom braking. Acceleration feels equivalent to my 2017 MS75D.

I love my MS, and I love my 2022 Ioniq5. But I would never pay the prices Tesla is asking these days. If something were to happen to my Tesla today, I'd be buying a 2023 I5 Limited without question.
Will have tax rebate next year?

Supply and demand will dictate prices. Elon can sell the Model Y in the US for as much as he wants as long as people are willing to pay for it.

Any sustained dip in demand or real competition will trigger price reductions (like the $69,420 Model S two years ago).

Full disclosure, we are taking delivery of a Model Y, my second (third) Tesla on Friday for my wife and yes, they are definitely overpriced at the moment.

Reactions: Cheburashka