Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The price on tesla in us is not even close to reasonable now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that trim is 410 miles, it is different

No, its actually not. Its the same car as the US AWD, it just uses a different (even more unattainable) mileage scale. I mean, your original point "I think they are too expensive now" is perfectly valid. I dont have any issue with that, and I think they are expensive.

I am not a fan of something being over exaggerated though. Its not double, and its not 60% with the same features.

You're comparing the Chinese standard range RWD, with a government subsidy deducted already in that price, to the price of the US long range AWD before the $3750 discount. Absolutely not the same car.

MSRP to MSRP the LR AWD in China is still 20% cheaper than in the US so you have a point but your numbers aren't even close.

A model y is selling for close to 70k or even more than 80k with options, and model s for 11k? That is just crazy. The Model Y is sold for 35k out the door price now in China, and they are doubled here in US. same configuration, and fsd is also cheaper for like 8k usd. On the other side, For brands like BMW, benz or porsche, The price is actually 30-60% cheaper in US compared to China. So what is Elon trying to do? Stealing money out of our pocket and making huge benefits here?

One thing I had to point out is that, Tesla has much less competitors in the US EV market. Many EVs like NIO or BYD in China are not allowed to sell here and they are just as good or even better than tesla.
correction: after checking the model y is 41.3k in China compared to 66k here in US, so it is 60% more expensive here.
minus $7.5k in jan

The Model y with 545km range which is 330 miles is sold for 288900 rmb which is 41.3k usd, and the US model y is sold for 66k.
These cars aren't direct comparisons at all. The Standard Range MY in China uses an LFP battery pack. The CLTC rating cycle used in China yields about 35% more (imaginary) miles than the EPA test cycle, so the Chinese car has about 215 miles of range when tested to the same standard as US cars.

It's also rear wheel drive instead of AWD and has much slower acceleration.

Your comparison is bogus.

These cars aren't direct comparisons at all. The Standard Range MY in China uses an LFP battery pack. The CLTC rating cycle used in China yields about 35% more (imaginary) miles than the EPA test cycle, so the Chinese car has about 215 miles of range when tested to the same standard as US cars.

It's also rear wheel drive instead of AWD and has much slower acceleration.

Your comparison is bogus.
The comparison may be bogus but you can’t deny that an S or X has been priced out of many Americans grasp. For a short time years ago now you could get an S for 60k, the 3 and Y have now moved into the pricing that used to be the S and X range! Prices need to come down or a more compact car needs to be produced to help more Americans get into an EV.

The comparison may be bogus but you can’t deny that an S or X has been priced out of many Americans grasp.
The S/X was never intended to be attainable for “many Americans”. It never will be.

For a short time years ago now you could get an S for 60k
You mean $70k. $69,420 plus a mandatory $1200 destination fee to be exact. Still wish I would have bought one TBH.

, the 3 and Y have now moved into the pricing that used to be the S and X range! Prices need to come down or a more compact car needs to be produced to help more Americans get into an EV.
Agree. But also you can buy a Chevy Bolt for $26k tomorrow if you want to - before incentives.

I’d be curious to find out how much it costs to manufacture a model 3/y in China vs California.
That could also be another reason for the higher price of a US model y vs China.
If I I remember correctly, more than 80% of parts of 3/Y build in Shanghai are now sourced locally, on top of lower labor cost and higher factory efficiency. Cost should be much lower than those built at Fremont and Austin.

That’s the point isn’t it? Nobody wants to.
I really wasn't trying to buy a status symbol when I bought a car but I feel like that's exactly what it is today. My second car is an I5 and it is superior to Tesla in many ways. Tesla's big draw, other than "I drive a Tesla" is it's charging network. Just my opinion though. It's ok to disagree with me on this and I'm sure many will.

A model y is selling for close to 70k or even more than 80k with options, and model s for 11k? That is just crazy. The Model Y is sold for 35k out the door price now in China, and they are doubled here in US. same configuration, and fsd is also cheaper for like 8k usd. On the other side, For brands like BMW, benz or porsche, The price is actually 30-60% cheaper in US compared to China. So what is Elon trying to do? Stealing money out of our pocket and making huge benefits here?

One thing I had to point out is that, Tesla has much less competitors in the US EV market. Many EVs like NIO or BYD in China are not allowed to sell here and they are just as good or even better than tesla.
correction: after checking the model y is 41.3k in China compared to 66k here in US, so it is 60% more expensive here.
Whoah! Look at that! Tesla heard you! Yay!

Congrats and don't forget to post your pics when yours is delivered.

Reactions: Cheburashka
Whoah! Look at that! Tesla heard you! Yay!

Congrats and don't forget to post your pics when yours is delivered.
Wait, you will see another price reduction soon. Tesla is still making huge profit at current price point still compared to the other auto makers. If you don’t buy it, you get discount. Now look back at their December 7500 and 10000 free supercharge discount, a joke, right? So 6month later, the price now will be a joke again. And feel so bad for the tesla flippers or people who wanted to sell their used Teslas recently. They might think after December, they can get more money as the promotion gone, but guess what, another bigger promotion. And the whole used market crashed now, and carvana could be bankrupt.

Reactions: Cheburashka