TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The puzzle of the iPhone dock

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jeff-6293, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Jeff-6293

Jeff-6293 Member

I must've failed "puzzles" in third grade because I look at the collection of pieces and cables that came with my model S for the iPhone dock and I cannot figure out how to install it. Does anyone have good pictures of how it gets installed or what it looks like once it has been installed?

Thanks

2. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Took a little head scratching on my part as well but it's not too bad in the end, and it works really great (the guides help slide the phone right into position without even looking).

3. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

Depends on your phone case if the phone will plug into it. I have to remove my case to charge my phone. They should have made the connector a little longer.

4. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

If it's like the one on the Model X I had delivered last week, the SvC gentleman removed a fair number of "floor" parts, with his fingers - no tools, en route to routing the cable from guggle to zatch. Not complicated...if you know what you're doing. Good luck.

5. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

Here's a video of someone taking it apart to put in a USB-C so you can see how it gets assembled

• Informative x 1
  6. Joe F

Joe F Member

IMG_2390.JPG Just make sure to hand thread the screws. Whoever tried to install mine cross threaded one, and then spun the piece it threads into in the plastic, so it was really tough to remove.

As stated, if you use a case on your phone the side guide pieces that snap into the side and bottom slots may not accept the phone. Also the phone may not slide down low enough to seat the power connector. There are a few threads here that have workarounds, but not helpful if using the guides. I wound up using a Dremel to plow out the plastic to sink the cable lower rather than cut part of the strain relief away.

Don't do what the picture shows :mad:

7. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

I hate cases, always had the phone "naked" so no issue here. :p

8. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

With a little delicate Dremel work to extend the charging spade, I got mine to fit with the case on.

9. Joe F

Joe F Member

I did too, but the side guide spacing isn't deep enough to accept my case.

Did your case fit, or are you going without the guides in place?

10. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

My IPhone 7 is pretty skinny and so is my Otter case, so it fits snugly in the guides.

11. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Almost impossible to plug it in while driving. The sweet spot is harder to get than something that I won't mention!o_O