Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The quality of my P85D sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok I get it, this will be my last post on this thread.

I can handle myself fine and I really can work this out on my own. I only posted here because I thought it might be interesting to this forum how things are handled at Tesla. We can agree to disagree on how the damage occurred but that is really not the point. Yes I did trust the Raleigh SC to deliver a perfect car. They were very nice, picked me up from train station, met me on a Sunday, and if it wasn't for the damage it would have been outstanding. The store there is pretty dark and the lighting is poor. I did not take the car outside to peer at every nook and cranny. I think bringing this to light might help someone else in the future. That what I am posting about. I don't need help handling the problem.

In addition, it might be helpful for some poor sole who may have to go through the same ordeal on what the expectations might be from Tesla. Although after reading all the posts here, most everyone (expect me) had a perfect warm and fussy experience. Congratulations I am happy for you. I will move on and the mods can close this thread. I do apologize to those who feel my posts to be inflammatory. Thanks to those who tried to offer constructive assistance.

Other $100k+ cars?

I don't compare Model S with $100,000 cars. I compare it with cars in the $50,000-$60,000 range because those are the most equivalent in terms of build, interior quality, etc. Also, I am speaking with an eye towards Model 3. I don't think most Americans are going to want to order their car online without being able to drive it and look at it first, but hopefully I'm wrong. :)

- - - Updated - - -

That concern pops up now and again on all car forums and it's completely overblown. A good paint job is more than good enough and is sometimes superior to the factory paint. I realize you've had a difficult time of it and I'm sympathetic to your complaint in chief that a purchaser of a $132k car should not have to deal with problems like this, but don't make yourself crazy worrying about the impact on resale value if the car ends up being put under a microscope by a prospective purchaser. 9 out of 10 purchasers won't do anything like that (especially commercial purchasers) and it is a fact that most pre-owned cars (and a significant number of new cars) have had some minor cosmetic repair work that, if done properly, should not detract from value.

I have a feeling your opinion might be a little different if you were in OP's shoes. I think it's easy to dismiss OP's complaint if you don't share the concern. I can tell you that if I was facing a repaint on a brand new car due to the manufacturer's error, I would be livid and beside myself. That is just not something that a customer of a new vehicle should be asked to tolerate and forgive. There is no wiggle room here, at least not with me. My fondness for Tesla is vast, but there are limits.

How do we know that the service center was acting in OP's best interest? The reason I ask this is because, who knows... maybe the service center dropped the ball on pre-delivery inspection and doesn't want management to find out. Maybe they are trying to protect their own butts. There may be other issues at work here, and when something like this happens that seriously disappoints or upsets a customer, it's always a good idea to escalate up the management chain if the resolution does not satisfy. Those in the trenches may not necessarily have the courage to risk admitting a failure and suffer the consequences. This is just an aspect of human nature, nothing to do with Tesla specifically. Of course I'm just speculating.

For all we know the damage was caused after delivery and you're just trying to pin it on Tesla.

Not saying that happened, but the information available fits the possibility. If I were Tesla this would be something considered as a possibility as well.

th.jpg

Come to the Charlotte SC meet Friday. Drinks on me.:biggrin:

For all we know the damage was caused after delivery and you're just trying to pin it on Tesla.

Not saying that happened, but the information available fits the possibility. If I were Tesla this would be something considered as a possibility as well.

I wasn't going to respond to any other comments but I could not resist. It was reported 2 hours after delivery or as soon as I got home from Raleigh and looked at it in the sunlight.

Last edited:
I personally think the factory new hood and fender is a great option.

Agree. If that's what they did then there is really nothing to worry about.

I got the parking sensor upgrade on my car. I didn't even ask if the new bumpers were factory painted or not but they look perfect. I wouldn't worry about it. Sure, better if this had never happened but maybe time to enjoy the car and move on.

Ok I get it, this will be my last post on this thread.

I will move on and the mods can close this thread. I do apologize to those who feel my posts to be inflammatory. Thanks to those who tried to offer constructive assistance.

We very rarely close threads but people will eventually stop replying and it will fade away.

I don't think your posts were inflammatory in any way. It's understandable to not get a perfect car however it happened. Did you take any pictures of the car at delivery? That might help you show Tesla how the car was delivered. I really wouldn't worry about resale value if Tesla did indeed replace hood and bumper with factory painted replacements.

Is the dent different from the hood crease? Is it a frunk closing dent/crease? Did you take delivery of it with the dent and crease and then notice it later, or did it occur later by the manner in which the frunk was closed? And does the paint problem result from fixing this dent or crease? That also seems to be a service issue rather than a quality issue with the car itself.

The dent was in the driver front quarter panel. It was there at delivery and I did not see it in the dealership. The frunk crease was there on delivery but once again I did not see it until I got home. I picked up in raleigh and drove the charlotte. The Raleigh store is pretty dark but when I got home in the sun it was obvious. I emailed them immediately on the delivery day. The paint problem was bc the repair shop did a horrible job. They left scratches all over the hood. Scratched the passenger quarter panel and left a few dings on the bumper. I would never use the shop in raleigh again.

I think he's talking about this type of hood crease. I had it too. Basically, where the Hood's under supports are Glued to the outer hood, over time and use (usually) the hood starts to bend and crease at these glue joints.

Last edited by a moderator: