Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The quest for wider wheels and tires, 295, 305 and beyond...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually have 24 in the garage, I just only have 8 of them stacked to the roof. (look carefully, a stack of 4 by the garage door, 4 more on the wall, 4 more on the car, 4 more somewhere else...)

But I also work from home, so can I claim I have 24 at my office? ;)
Tires on the car shouldn't count toward this metric of tire/wheel hoarding. Every car has 4.
And I only see three by the garage door...

Is there problem in the rear or in front? or both?

I know UPP sells wider fenders for the front that might help you.
Definitely the front, I think they would be OK in the rear but would have to test to be sure. They're honestly too large for the 10.5" wheels nonetheless. Would need to step up to 11's or 11.5". The UP fenders are pretty sweet, but I don't have the budget for them!

That would be 18'-20' tall... If you can do that indoors, I really want to see it!
Yeah, I was gonna do it outdoors, my pole barn/2nd garage ceiling is only like 12' or maybe 14'. My concern is that 19 wheels/tires would weigh around 800-900lbs. My gut tells me that's quite a bit of load for the bottom sidewall to carry, but I couldn't quite work out the physics of what's gonna happen. I think the tires will deform under the weight until there's rim-to-rim contact. And if the latter isn't perfectly aligned, the whole thing would start tilting. So, I'd need some sort of rigid layers at least for the few tires/wheels at the bottom.

Reactions: Lindenwood
My concern is that 19 wheels/tires would weigh around 800-900lbs. My gut tells me that's quite a bit of load for the bottom sidewall to carry, but I couldn't quite work out the physics of what's gonna happen. I think the tires will deform under the weight until there's rim-to-rim contact. And if the latter isn't perfectly aligned, the whole thing would start tilting. So, I'd need some sort of rigid layers at least for the few tires/wheels at the bottom.
If you have to do this kind of analysis before you stack your tires on top of one another, you're officially not a poser hoarder.

(That said, 30+ PSI in a tire already means thousands of pounds of internal stresses. An extra 900 lbs won't do anything to the sidewalls. Which means I think you should do it)

Yep, really need to know your goals. If your goal is actual handling, 265 square is a perfect street setup (you'll give up noticeable range though). Doing this on a 9.5" or 10" wheel with a 35mm offset looks and works great.

If you are focused on looks, then a 285 rear can be done for sure with some work. People have fit 295 square on the car, and even 305 with a lot of careful tweaking.

But going 285/40? That's a 28" diameter tire when Tesla's largest supported tire is 26.75". That's just a monster diameter tire, and I'm not sure what you think it will gain you. For sure, a 285/40R20 combined with a 265/40R19 front will annoy the traction control (2.3% diff front to rear is way too big), and there is zero way to fit a 28" diameter tire on the front without a custom upright.

Even custom uprights wouldn't be enough.
And since the door was opened, these should be on the 5 axis soon.
Its a 2 piece design which should allow stepped, coarse adjustments up to 2.5deg additional camber and 30mm additional inboard clearance. Geometry correction to compensate for 1.5" drop, and increased camber gain. The design has already been tweaked beyond these renderings which are superimposed over the factory upright.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230322-130152_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230322-130152_Facebook.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 146
  • Screenshot_20230322-130141_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230322-130141_Facebook.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20230322-130133_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230322-130133_Facebook.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 65
  • Resized_Screenshot_20230322-130211_Facebook.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20230322-130211_Facebook.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 78
So I did a thing over the past couple weeks. Now bear in mind, this is all for autox.

18x11 +40 Konig Hypergrams and 295/35/18 RE71RS. Rears went on as is, but the front required some shaving of the upright and a spacer. In this case the 17mm MPP spacer worked perfect, as well as MPP extended studs.
I'm running Redwood Ohlins Race/HPDE coilovers and sways, and MPP for everything else.
I've lowered the front to 26.25" ground to fender, but will likely bring it back up to 26.5" next time I'm in the wheelwells.
I haven't done an alignment since lowering the car, but was at about -2.5* camber and then lowered it 20mm. So I'm guessing somewhere around -3* currently.
We used a couple different spacers for fitment to see where we needed to be, then put on the 17mm MPP spacer for a semi-perm install.
The shaving was to get the wheels to fit, not so much the tires. Although I don't know if I could go wider up front. The extra width of the rim causes the tire to be a hair wider. I'll throw on a 315/30 from a friend's car who's got 18x11s to see if it could possibly fit, but I doubt it. Rears could probably take a 315 no problem.
20230527_172621.jpg

20230531_212907.jpg

The rears were just plug and play. I still need to install MPP camber arms and then lower. Currently it's about 27.25" ground to fender. Camber is only at -1.1* at the moment. And yes, I know that's not nearly enough for autox.

I drove it around a bit seeing if there was any rubbing. There wasn't from wheel or tires, but the factory mud flaps up front had a bit of self clearancing to go thru. After that I drove it 120mi to the first big autox of the summer season (Packwood, WA).

20230602_190227.jpg

autox went really well, but I'll post that in the autox thread.

Ya, a couple mm. I had mounted the tires already which made it difficult to tell just where it was rubbing. Ended up putting electrical tape on the upright, mounted the wheel and rotated it back and forth to get witness marks. Then would grind down across the face. We used one of those flap pad wheels for the grinding. Had to repeat that several times so it would just barely clear with a 15mm spacer knowing that I'd use a 17mm spacer.

I did not test the wheel motion before running them on the streets. I was pretty confident it would work based on everything I've seen others do between this thread and the autox thread. Fortunately it all worked out.

Oh, i just remembered i also had my front fenders rolled. I didnt have them pulled.

Just went and measured, it's currently at approx 335mm hub center to fender. It also settled a bit so it's currently about 26" ground to fender. The tires just start to tuck. I'll raise it about 5mm or so to get a little more travel.

The attached pic is my 19x9.5 wheels with 265/35/19 PS4S. Also attached is the willtheyfit calculation between the two wheel/tire combos.

Attachments

• 20230611_213248.jpg
    20230611_213248.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_20230611_220154_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230611_220154_Chrome.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 81