Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The quest for wider wheels and tires, 295, 305 and beyond...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pics?! I’m curious if the 275/35/18 RT660 looks small or stretched on 275.
Sorry I don't have a direct side shot of the car, but here are a couple that hopefully give you an idea - I think they look awesome (I have received many comments from ICE drivers who said the same)...Also, the action shot is from the race this past Sunday....Was more like a rally than autocross!

1631536413996.png

1631536384485.png

One other thing I'll add on efficiency (for those who care ha) - Compared to the Goodyear Eagle Supercar 3's, in 265/40/18 (larger diameter), these were around 330wh/mi compared to 300wh/mi for the Supercar 3's at freeway speeds (it was a bit windy though so that may have played into the numbers).

Reactions: Lindenwood
One other thing I'll add on efficiency (for those who care ha) - Compared to the Goodyear Eagle Supercar 3's, in 265/40/18 (larger diameter), these were around 330wh/mi compared to 300wh/mi for the Supercar 3's at freeway speeds (it was a bit windy though so that may have played into the numbers).

Didn't know you tried supercar 3's. I was debating those vs BFGs. Local competitor and guy I'm battling for championship runs the supercar 3's on his BS 'Maro. Says he prefers them to RE-71Rs when he backed to back them. Ultimately I chose the BFG due to much more data on them.

Didn't know you tried supercar 3's. I was debating those vs BFGs. Local competitor and guy I'm battling for championship runs the supercar 3's on his BS 'Maro. Says he prefers them to RE-71Rs when he backed to back them. Ultimately I chose the BFG due to much more data on them.
I really think the Supercar 3 is a great tire- I think it is probably 9/10ths the tire a Yoke/Falken/RE is. The really great thing about the SC3's is the durability, especially on the shoulders. When I was running in SS trim, these things just took an absolute beating and still have a lot of life in them (and most races are on abrasive concrete). Also, these things handle heat well - Which is why I think a lot of people like them in heavy/high HP cars.

Reactions: Theraven and GAGT
So would 265/35/19 RT660's on a 19x9.5 et 35 with a 5mm spacer work on a stock camber setup? Having coilovers installed, but will be stock camber until the FUCA's are finally done. Would love to run the new setup on Sunday for autocross.

So, I happen to own a set of brand new 275/40/20 Nexen SUR4G that were intended for a previous car. Present car is a dead stock 3P with the 20” überturbines.

275s will go on the 9” wheels…they’re the widest that’ll fit. But will they fit on the unmodified car? Anyone out there tried a similar size? I’m going to run the Pirellis til I need to change em but I’d hate to waste four good tires.
Absolutely not going to fit.

I was more thinking of maximizing performance in a slalom/autocross or even drag strip.
I would not drive with such a soft and wide tire on the street anyway (reduced range and fast wear).

(The torque advantage would be bigger here than with an ICE car because it only has one gear, so there would be more torque available at any speed, but max speed might be reduced).

I was more thinking of maximizing performance in a slalom/autocross or even drag strip.
I would not drive with such a soft and wide tire on the street anyway (reduced range and fast wear).

(The torque advantage would be bigger here than with an ICE car because it only has one gear, so there would be more torque available at any speed, but max speed might be reduced).

This has been gone over in some other threads in more detail, but basically there is no advantage to going to a smaller overall diameter tire. The 295/35 is already on the smaller side. For Road Course it is most preferable to go with a larger tire.

Maybe, a slightly larger side wall is advantageous, since it might increase the longitudinal contact patch.

I did notice though that TeslaTexasRacing is on 285/30 R18 but with Hoosiers.
In order to fit them, one needs 18x10.5 ET25 rims and significant camber.
In the front and rear the camber can be set using after market upper control arms such as these?
MPP Corkscrew Model 3/Y Front Upper Control Arms - Mountain Pass Performance

One option that could also work would be 295/30 R19 in the front and 335/30 R18 in the rear - if 335 would fit at all, of course (possibly not without significant fender rolling).
The higher grip in the rear could be offset with a stiff rear sway bar.

Maybe, a slightly larger side wall is advantageous, since it might increase the longitudinal contact patch.

I did notice though that TeslaTexasRacing is on 285/30 R18 but with Hoosiers.
In order to fit them, one needs 18x10.5 ET25 rims and significant camber.
In the front and rear the camber can be set using after market upper control arms such as these?
MPP Corkscrew Model 3/Y Front Upper Control Arms - Mountain Pass Performance

One option that could also work would be 295/30 R19 in the front and 335/30 R18 in the rear - if 335 would fit at all, of course (possibly not without significant fender rolling).
The higher grip in the rear could be offset with a stiff rear sway bar.
Staggered tires is silly and pointless.

295's square fit, we know that. You may be able to squeeze 305's in the stock wells, and of course tire width's vary from tire to tire.

You need FUCA and rear camber arms to get enough clearance. -2.5+ in the front is required. 18x10.5 or 19x10.5 ET25 is a good fit.