Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The quest for wider wheels and tires, 295, 305 and beyond...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If all you are trying to adjust is looks, and the actual width of the tire is not really important to you, then you can get any flush/aggressive look you want with just offset, and without giving up things like the huge hit to efficiency. If you think the look comes from the actual tire width, then no reason not to run the right wheel for the tire, and 285 is pretty wide for a 9.5" wheel.

Lots of people run 15mm spacers with the stock wheels and think it makes the car look a lot better. This is like having a +20 offset on a stock 235 tire. You don't even need to change wheel or tire width to look a lot different.

The picture above is a 275 tire. That adds +20mm on the outside even with stock wheel offset. Exactly the same as running a 20mm spacer. That picture also has a lot of camber, which does add to the aggressive look.

If all you want to focus on is an aggressive look with a bit of "poke," I would pick 245 tires on a 9" wheel to not mess up your efficiency, and then run +20 offset either directly on the wheel or with spacers. At least in the USA you can pick up 4 spacers for about $80 USD total and try it out with your stock wheels before you commit to other options.

Reactions: Lindenwood
If all you are trying to adjust is looks, and the actual width of the tire is not really important to you, then you can get any flush/aggressive look you want with just offset, and without giving up things like the huge hit to efficiency. If you think the look comes from the actual tire width, then no reason not to run the right wheel for the tire, and 285 is pretty wide for a 9.5" wheel.

Lots of people run 15mm spacers with the stock wheels and think it makes the car look a lot better. This is like having a +20 offset on a stock 235 tire. You don't even need to change wheel or tire width to look a lot different.

The picture above is a 275 tire. That adds +20mm on the outside even with stock wheel offset. Exactly the same as running a 20mm spacer. That picture also has a lot of camber, which does add to the aggressive look.

If all you want to focus on is an aggressive look with a bit of "poke," I would pick 245 tires on a 9" wheel to not mess up your efficiency, and then run +20 offset either directly on the wheel or with spacers. At least in the USA you can pick up 4 spacers for about $80 USD total and try it out with your stock wheels before you commit to other options.
Is the ultimate setup 18x9 +20 with 245/35 or 40s?

would +20 be the best for front and rear or staggered offsets?

Is the ultimate setup 18x9 +20 with 245/35 or 40s?

would +20 be the best for front and rear or staggered offsets?
Since we're no longer talking about actual wide tires for performance, you should look around. There are plenty of discussions on TMC about spacers and offset to get the look you want.

I think it somewhere around a +20, with 18's there is some grinding needed on the upright to clear the inner barrel. And you'll need somewhere around -3 degrees of camber, but this all depends on the tire. You may also have to roll fenders. Like @MasterC17, this makes no sense for a daily driver. 9.5" is plenty for street use.
18x9.5 ET38, wiiiide 275 all seasons over here for daily use. 265 R1R summer use. No grinding or mods needed to the upright.
MPP sport coils
MPP rear camber and toe arms
No magic 3* camber
Added MPP FUCA, no mega stance camber for daily use.
Efficiency on 275’s@43psi - 268Wh/mi with no HVAC, 80mph hwy cruising speed. 265 R1R @ 33psi -well into the 400Wh/mi at same cruising speed, but the added grip is worth the range loss for us.

18x9.5 ET38, wiiiide 275 all seasons over here for daily use. 265 R1R summer use. No grinding or mods needed to the upright.
MPP sport coils
No magic 3* camber
Efficiency on 275’s@43psi - 268Wh/mi with no HVAC, 80mph hwy cruising speed. 265 R1R @ 33psi -well into the 400Wh/mi at same cruising speed, but the added grip is worth the range loss for us.
I was referring to 10.5" wheels for fitment issues, if that wasn't clear.

MPP sport coils
No magic 3* camber
Any pictures please

@TacoSteve - What use case brought you to the Nexen Sur4G's? AutoX, Road Course, or Street? Not a common tire to hear about.
$800....I ran 275 nexen and my 295 A7 in auto X I still won by about the same. Doubt either heated up
10.5 already requires different offset front and rear. That is not something I would do with DD.
requires? which 3 are we talking about (understand not doing 10.5 on a DD ..sort of) +25 all around works dandy w/ 295 A7 or 275 Nexen(3p-)

Last edited:
$800....I ran 275 nexen and my 295 A7 in auto X I still won by about the same. Doubt either heated up
That's an interesting observation. The whole point of the A7 is that it needs almost no heat to get going, and the Nexen seems to be pretty much the same from what I read. Were you running on asphalt or concrete?

Where are people getting Nexen's cheap, or was this in the past? I can't find them for less than a Yoko A052 or a Falken RT660 anywhere (275/35R19, and $800 less would be more than half off a set of $1400 tires)

That's an interesting observation. The whole point of the A7 is that it needs almost no heat to get going, and the Nexen seems to be pretty much the same from what I read. Were you running on asphalt or concrete?
The Nexen is a drift tire designed to take a ton of heat, so of course its going to take a lot to heat up. If people are running them in AutoX with success that's great, but I doubt it is anywhere near the full potential of the tire unless you are using tire warmers.

The Nexen is a drift tire designed to take a ton of heat, so of course its going to take a lot to heat up.
No expert for sure, all I know is that people on the Reddit AutoX forum mention them now and then and say they are just under RE71's in performance, and don't need a lot of heat up time. A aliens people have won prosolos on them. AutoX nationals doesn't allow tire warmers, so they can't require that to be interesting.

No way I'd pick them for more money, but if they were actually way cheaper it might be worth considering.

Where are people getting Nexen's cheap, or was this in the past? I can't find them for less than a Yoko A052 or a Falken RT660 anywhere (275/35R19, and $800 less would be more than half off a set of $1400 tires)
really crappy old asphalt mixed with little bits of concrete patch and potentially some cold mix/cement torched stuff 🙃
some parts of the HMA are ok though & we try to make the turning and braking on the better stuff without holes(also less cleanup and damage to the crap surface)
The Nexen I got last July & they seemed pretty decent in auto X with no heat. but I don't notice heated tires being a difference ever (except go karting and run to run when the sun is out and ground gets warm) I just try to drive to the limits. Laguna seca I doubt I ever go them warm, I almost spun on turn 4 on my last hot lap attempt. I figured they were greasy already but maybe not warm?..& I also had no front sway bar connected that day

The Nexen is a drift tire designed to take a ton of heat, so of course its going to take a lot to heat up. If people are running them in AutoX with success that's great, but I doubt it is anywhere near the full potential of the tire unless you are using tire warmers.
FWIW those were the first tires I ran on my 3 in 2019 at a cost of $700/set. They weren't too bad. Heat up much quicker than Hankook R-S4's for example. I doubt they are the fastest, but they were decent for the money. I actually preferred the Federal 595RS-PRO's, which were even cheaper at ~$600/set.

Unfortunately, the era of very cheap track tires seems to be gone.

Unfortunately, the era of very cheap track tires seems to be gone.
I think you can just update that to "the era of very cheap seems to be gone." Holds for used cars, new cars, video cards, houses, gasoline, etc.

In an era of demand crushing supply, that's what you get. I tried to order Yoko A052's earlier this week and was told "Yokohama has none in the country and has no idea when they will have more" (obviously for a specific size). At that point why would anyone sell them to you "cheap" once they do exist?

Last edited:
Yeah drift tires….. 😵‍💫

Attachments

• 0D8A06F2-89FB-402B-93A3-811805F49418.jpeg
    0D8A06F2-89FB-402B-93A3-811805F49418.jpeg
    551.4 KB · Views: 213