Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The quest for wider wheels and tires, 295, 305 and beyond...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I forgot to add it to this thread - the MPP Euro M3P!

Aspira AF10 19x10.5 +30 effective offset
305/30/19 Nankang AR-1 all around with OEM bodywork

View attachment 791118
Jesse, can you please email me your dope pics from Spain? I don't think I ever got to see the lot of them. I'd love to share them with Aspira.

BTW, I just got my Aspira AF-10 18x10.5 and 275 RS4's installed and aligned today.

AP Racing BBK with extended studs
10mm spacer front, effective +25: -2.9 camber
12mm spacer rear, effective +23: -2.5 camber
370mm hub to fender ride height.

1649389799489.jpeg

This was moments after you called me on my lunch break.
1649389846816.jpeg

Last edited:
Jesse, can you please email me your dope pics from Spain? I don't think I ever got to see the lot of them. I'd love to share them with Aspira.

BTW, I just got my Aspira AF-10 18x10.5 and 275 RS4's installed and aligned today.

AP Racing BBK with extended studs
10mm spacer front, effective +25: -2.9 camber
12mm spacer rear, effective +23: -2.5 camber
370mm hub to fender ride height.

View attachment 791198

This was moments after you called me on my lunch break.
View attachment 791199
That's the kind of car you look back at when you're walking in the parking lot.

That'd be highly unlikely. The 3 is not traction limited on launch, and wider tires will have higher rolling resistance. The effect is likely small though.
One's 0-60 times *might* benefit from wider tires that also happen to be smaller in the overall diameter.
Pedantic note:
Wider tires do not tend to have worse rolling resistance. Rolling resistance is not caused (to any significant degree) by interaction of the tread sticking to the surface such that a larger contact patch causes more resistance. (nor does contact patch area necessarily increase with a wider tire!) The primary source of rolling resistance is the energy required to deform (squish) the tire as it rolls along. While you have more tread that has to deform with a wide tire, each bit has to deform less, approximately proportional but rolling resistance may even improve a bit.

Going to be a big aero penalty of course though!

Reactions: Ren.OG
Pedantic note:
Wider tires do not tend to have worse rolling resistance. Rolling resistance is not caused (to any significant degree) by interaction of the tread sticking to the surface such that a larger contact patch causes more resistance. (nor does contact patch area necessarily increase with a wider tire!) The primary source of rolling resistance is the energy required to deform (squish) the tire as it rolls along. While you have more tread that has to deform with a wide tire, each bit has to deform less, approximately proportional but rolling resistance may even improve a bit.

Going to be a big aero penalty of course though!
The energy required to deform the tire is later largely released/recovered as the tire/tread rolls forward and undeforms. The real cause of the majority of the rolling resistance is the energy lost in the process of deforming/undeforming. Think friction of the belts etc. It's called hysteresis damping.

Another chunk of the energy loss is the aero resistance of the tire itself. I think the current thinking leans toward 'wider tire = more resistance.'
Here, of course, we're not really talking just wider tires, we're talking wider and lower profile tires that roughly preserve the overall diameter. The effect of the aspect ratio on rolling resistance appears less certain, so I ignored it. But I guess it's possible that the lower aspect ratio would help more than the wider tread would hurt.

A random recent reference.

The energy required to deform the tire is later largely released/recovered as the tire/tread rolls forward and undeforms. The real cause of the majority of the rolling resistance is the energy lost in the process of deforming/undeforming. Think friction of the belts etc. It's called hysteresis damping.

That feels a bit like performative pedantic one-upsmanship!
I'll allow it.

• Funny
Reactions: dsgerbc
….I didn’t realize you can fit an 18” 315 A7 on a 9.5” wheel! I’m racing a couple of corvettes with that on front and 345 on rear. I think I’m gonna put a 315 at lleast on my koni when the 295 are done and test fitment….I’m on my nexen practicing and matching their best lap times BTW. They are fast drivers too. Both have a few KOTH’s.

Coming back in with some thoughts. I want to run a wider tire, and I'm torn.

Staggered 245f/285r on 19x9f/19x10.5r
Square 275 on 19x10 all around.

This is my daily driver that I'd like to track every so often (yeah, I thought I wasn't going to do that. But here we are). That means wh/mi is pretty important. I'm worried that 275 will be too much aero drag up front compared to a sweeping 245/285 f/r setup. I know. Nothing is free, so what would you guys do?

Thoughts?

The only reason for a non-square setup on a AWD car with a 50/50 weight distribution is looks. If you are actually going to track it, go square.

I run 265 daily. Yep, a lot more energy use, but more grip and a nice balance. Not sure a 245/285 would be less than 275 overall. Why are you focused on 275 as the only option?
Maximizing grip without crazy camber up front to fit.

265 might be it for me then to keep it a daily driver. What wh/mi do you get on 265? I'm at 275 wh/mi on 255 DSW 06 Plus square

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
The only reason for a non-square setup on a AWD car with a 50/50 weight distribution is looks. If you are actually going to track it, go square.

I run 265 daily. Yep, a lot more energy use, but more grip and a nice balance. Not sure a 245/285 would be less than 275 overall. Why are you focused on 275 as the only option?
I'm planning 295/315 A7 on 10.5". I've managed to spin a couple of times on square 295 A7 so...

Coming back in with some thoughts. I want to run a wider tire, and I'm torn.

Staggered 245f/285r on 19x9f/19x10.5r
Square 275 on 19x10 all around.

This is my daily driver that I'd like to track every so often (yeah, I thought I wasn't going to do that. But here we are). That means wh/mi is pretty important. I'm worried that 275 will be too much aero drag up front compared to a sweeping 245/285 f/r setup. I know. Nothing is free, so what would you guys do?

Thoughts?
18" ..my 275 nexen on 10.5 square are fast... during practice my laps were 2 seconds faster than my older A9 295s on a 55 s course. I didn't think they'd be toast after 2 hills, 1 enduro and a couple of 1/2 auto x days. ..they were I guess
I was matching SSP Z06's on 315/345 A7s
they need camber all around though w/ the 25. & Road wise they are loud as hell between 55 and 85mph
I have 4 sets of wheels now :rolleyes:

18" ..my 275 nexen on 10.5 square are fast... during practice my laps were 2 seconds faster than my older A9 295s on a 55 s course. I didn't think they'd be toast after 2 hills, 1 enduro and a couple of 1/2 auto x days. ..they were I guess
I was matching SSP Z06's on 315/345 A7s
they need camber all around though w/ the 25. & Road wise they are loud as hell between 55 and 85mph
I have 4 sets of wheels now :rolleyes:
My BiL has 4 sets of wheels for his Lotus. So, I hear you on the rabbit hole with this hobby.

I'll probably get my feet wet with 265 to start since this is my double duty car, unless I hear that 275 aren't much of a penalty on efficiency. Once I get more into this (and have the space for it!) I'll venture down the wider wheel/tire pathway.