Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The quest for wider wheels and tires, 295, 305 and beyond...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A dedicated autox set to smoke the locals. ;)
A noble cause!
I will say that unless you are already sure you are a really top tier driver, wider tires won't pay off that much. Wider has diminishing returns, so unless you are already constantly running within a tenth of the top cars, it's not going to save you. The 9.5" on 265/275 and 10" on 295's is pretty well proven.

If you're new to AutoX, just AutoX what you got. I run FTD most of the time at my group and I run on 265's, and I run 2-5 seconds faster than other Teslas that show up. Upgrade the driver first if you aren't already sure you have.

A noble cause!
I will say that unless you are already sure you are a really top tier driver, wider tires won't pay off that much. Wider has diminishing returns, so unless you are already constantly running within a tenth of the top cars, it's not going to save you. The 9.5" on 265/275 and 10" on 295's is pretty well proven.

If you're new to AutoX, just AutoX what you got. I run FTD most of the time at my group and I run on 265's, and I run 2-5 seconds faster than other Teslas that show up. Upgrade the driver first if you aren't already sure you have.
My driving skills probably topped out years ago, so I need all the grip I can get to keep up with some half-competent C8 drivers on Hoosiers on concrete...

So, it sounds like if one doesn't want to run 3 degrees or more of rear camber, these ETs are still a good target to shoot for?

Anyone aware of 19x10.5 wheels by reputable manufacturers in that offset range that don't take months to ship and don't cost an arm and a leg? The cost/benefit winner offerings from Konig don't seem to come in those offsets. I see some ESR/Savini offerings, of which I know next to nothing, and couldn't even find their weights.

Bumping the price range up:
I see some JDM Enkei RS05RR +32 on ebay....
And then there's a "Shelby" forged CS21 +30 wheel. It's ugly, but in-stock.

Yeah I still believe strongly that the ideal range for a 10.5" wheel is ET30-ET35, but an ET40 works fine too.

Unfortunately, Konig HAS options for staggered fitment (25 front, 40 rear) in 18's, but not in 19's (I think it's just 25 square).

As it stands, I think your best options are either the new Martian Wheels MW05 Race setup or the Aspira AF-10's. But, neither of those qualify anywhere as being "cheap".

That all being said, a 19x10.5 ET25 square wheel setup fits no problem, and you should be fine running up to 285's on them. It's when you go bigger on the tire that it becomes a problem.

I think that is the literal "splitting hairs" definition of fitting. o_O

May your lap times be very low!
These seemed to 'fit'...staggered wheel would be better surely
IMG_4337.JPG

IMG_4336.JPG

Reactions: Lindenwood
315?! Nice.
That's plenty of poke tho. But the section width of those Hohos seems to match @MasterC17's RT660s, so both 'fit.' I take it the front clearance is about as tight?
front is just 295 and fits really nice.
I wouldn't have thought the 315 on 10.5"+25 would go under the rear without seeing this picture. No one said anything about the fit so I assume it is ok for ASP? ...I'd probably get a pair of 11" +40 if anyone complains that these poke but they do fit so not sure someone could argue? I'd like to go SM and fit these on front w/ 335 on the rear since there is lots of room inside
(a few cone marks from spring auto x's 🙃)
285803227_5238044869591751_3572616859349887385_n.jpg

Any of you guys with wide setups getting any rubbage on inner fender liners?
I got me some 305 RT660, inspired by @MasterC17 . Will spend most of the day tomorrow checking for clearance under hard compression and figuring how little camber I could get away with in the rear.

I did run the tires today to them through the initial heat cycle, which allegedly helps with grip later, and I'm getting some rubbing while maneuvering with lots of steering angle. I suppose I could try to get back to stock caster to regain some clearance. Just wondering how common is this for our car?
IMG_20220624_195312_721.jpg

Also, run these @70mph on my regular commute route. Surprisingly non-horrible. And I don't think there was much tailwind either.
IMG_20220624_202837_571.jpg

Any of you guys with wide setups getting any rubbage on inner fender liners?
I got me some 305 RT660, inspired by @MasterC17 . Will spend most of the day tomorrow checking for clearance under hard compression and figuring how little camber I could get away with in the rear.

I did run the tires today to them through the initial heat cycle, which allegedly helps with grip later, and I'm getting some rubbing while maneuvering with lots of steering angle. I suppose I could try to get back to stock caster to regain some clearance. Just wondering how common is this for our car?
View attachment 820775

Also, run these @70mph on my regular commute route. Surprisingly non-horrible. And I don't think there was much tailwind either.
View attachment 820776

If I'm looking at this correctly it appears you have less caster than stock? I did not have any rubbing issues, but I am using the adjustable caster bushings. What size specifically did you end up getting - 305/30/19?

If I'm looking at this correctly it appears you have less caster than stock? I did not have any rubbing issues, but I am using the adjustable caster bushings. What size specifically did you end up getting - 305/30/19?
Yeap, the same size.
My extra caster is from FUCAs, which moves the wheel/tire a bit to the rear relative to stock. MPP bushings move it forward (if dialing extra caster).

• Helpful
I'm probably gonna add the MPP bushings at some point. A bit of slow-speed rub at high steering angles I only use on parking lots doesn't bother me much. Just thought I'd ask.

Working on rear fitment right now. I'll have plenty of clearance to sheet metal, but it looks like my rear fender liners are a mess and aren't anywhere near flush with metal and I'm gonna rub on those under full compression. Any ideas how do deal with those other than cutting half an inch or so off? I doubt something like glue or double-sided tape would hold long-term...

IMG_20220625_113507_312.jpg

IMG_20220625_114612_118.jpg

• Helpful
I'm probably gonna add the MPP bushings at some point. A bit of slow-speed rub at high steering angles I only use on parking lots doesn't bother me much. Just thought I'd ask.

Working on rear fitment right now. I'll have plenty of clearance to sheet metal, but it looks like my rear fender liners are a mess and aren't anywhere near flush with metal and I'm gonna rub on those under full compression. Any ideas how do deal with those other than cutting half an inch or so off? I doubt something like glue or double-sided tape would hold long-term...

View attachment 820952

View attachment 820953

Yeah those are often not the best fitment. Cutting off half an inch is probably the best option. Not a lot of ways to secure it long term.

• Informative
Reactions: dsgerbc
@dsgerbc what is your goal with the car? Are you actually going to track it a lot? These really wide tires are a huge hit to range and other daily use.
and just like tire stretching, you CAN go overboard the other way getting TOO wide of a tire as well ...and cause all kinds of stupidness....slower acceleration, harder steering, increased battery consumption.....blah blah yada yada....looks freaking dope though...

and just like tire stretching, you CAN go overboard the other way getting TOO wide of a tire as well ...and cause all kinds of stupidness....slower acceleration, harder steering, increased battery consumption.....blah blah yada yada....looks freaking dope though...
On a 4000lbs car, I think too wide of a tire may be well into mid- 300mm widths...

Does anyone here have a source for thin spacers? Like 1-2, or 4 mm? A 3mm spacer I have leaves no margin for lower tire pressures, and a 5mm spacer is a waste of valuable knuckle clearance. A 4mm spacer would be ideal, if 1mm or 2mm are available those would work too.

Does anyone here have a source for thin spacers? Like 1-2, or 4 mm? A 3mm spacer I have leaves no margin for lower tire pressures, and a 5mm spacer is a waste of valuable knuckle clearance. A 4mm spacer would be ideal, if 1mm or 2mm are available those would work too.
Amazon, I'm using a simple 5mm spacer. Looks like not available anymore but as long as you have extended studs something like this will work fine. Try and find a solid one like this not those kind with holes all over them. You want as much surface area contact as possible. The other option is get custom made spacers. Amazon.com Here's the custom spacers Truck Spacers & Adapters | Custom Built & Hub Centric | Custom Offsets

Edit: I had to drill the holes out for the 14mm studs also, easy with a stepped drill bit.