Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

the rate at which this car chews thru tires is insane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
just stopped at america's tire today to get my tires rotated and a small leak fixed on one...I'm below replacement level on all four tires. hankook ventus s1 noble. only about 18 months and 21k miles on them (so I'm getting a nice credit on the new set, given the 50k mile warranty).

this comes after I only got roughly 12 months and 24k miles on the OEM Goodyears. those too i believe are rated for 40-50k miles (but no warranty on factory tires).

is this normal? granted I've never had a car like this before, but I've never had a car run thru tires like this before either...

Reactions: Gasaraki
What is your motor/trim config, driving style and use of the car?

Seems rather unusual to need replacements at just 20K odd miles each time, but perhaps roads around 92530 are either mostly concrete or high silica content asphalt/bitumen/tarmac?

That, coupled with a heavy right foot, zest for acceleration (especially in a RWD or Performance) would help unlock this achievement.

Otherwise even the craptastic OEs should last 30-40K miles, easy.

What is your motor/trim config, driving style and use of the car?

Seems rather unusual to need replacements at just 20K odd miles each time, but perhaps roads around 92530 are either mostly concrete or high silica content asphalt/bitumen/tarmac?

That, coupled with a heavy right foot, zest for acceleration (especially in a RWD or Performance) would help unlock this achievement.

Otherwise even the craptastic OEs should last 30-40K miles, easy.

2018 LR RWD, a lot of miles over 2+ years but mostly on road trips / day trips (such as 70 miles to SD and back, or 80+ miles to LA and back). also includes a 4k-ish round trip to KC and back, and a 6k-ish trip to PA and back. i work from home, so pretty much all of the miles are longer trips, actually. a smaller percentage are normal running around / errands. i definitely have a heavy foot on the freeway, but i don't think i jump on it from a dead stop all that often...i use autopilot as often as possible on the freeway too, to try to prevent myself from getting myself a ticket.

Performance cars eat tires for breakfast. I'm not seeing any more tire wear than I used to see on my previous hi-powered cars. People switching from 140hp FWD hatchbacks to 300-400-500 + AWD/RWD cars would notice this too.

that's more what i was getting at, and why i asked the question. my three previous cars before this were a chevy volt, chevy cruze and vw jetta. nothing this level of performance / power.

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
We're replacing our 3 AWD (with acceleration boost upgrade) OEM Michelin MXM4 tires at a little over 15k miles. Just called today. And that was about 1.5k later than we should have. We rotated them once at a little more than 7k miles. Very even treadwear except the backs wore much faster.

That seems like a short life, but we do use the performance and challenge the occasional corner traction. I think the 3 spends way more time at full throttle than most cars because it's so quiet, hardly ever squeals the tires, and has great traction control. So the tires still wear fast without all the ICE performance car drama. It's just too easy!

We're trying Michelin Pilot All Season 4's for the new set. We'll see how that goes.

that's more what i was getting at, and why i asked the question. my three previous cars before this were a chevy volt, chevy cruze and vw jetta. nothing this level of performance / power.

Yeah, it's a 4000 pound car on 235's with the acceleration of a mclaren. If it weren't for the ridiculously amazing traction control system, we'd be putting new tires on every 5,000 miles instead of rotating them.

Mmm, tires...

Performance cars eat tires for breakfast. I'm not seeing any more tire wear than I used to see on my previous hi-powered cars. People switching from 140hp FWD hatchbacks to 300-400-500 + AWD/RWD cars would notice this too.

Yep, my Ariel Atom wears through a set of rear tires in 1,500 miles of street driving. It’s just a cost of such a high-performance vehicle. It’s just like my Honda VFR 750F motorcycle from a couple decades ago, where the per-mile tire replacement cost on the Atom is higher than the per-mile gasoline cost. :)

Also, I’ve got 45k on the original set of tires on my 2018 RWD Model 3. It’s needing new tires soon, but the it’s not quite to the wear bars yet. I did a fair amount of quick starts originally, but not as much now that I’ve had the Model 3 for 2.5 years.

Man, you guys must drive/push your vehicles hard. After 18 months and 14K miles on my OEM tires (Conti ProContact RX), I have not noticed any significant tread wear. At this wear rate, I wouldn’t be surprised if I get over 60K on these tires. Not that it really matters too much when you have a dual motor performance powertrain, I have been rotating my tires (front-to-rear only) every 6K.

While I don’t track or race my vehicle, I also don’t drive it like a grandpa either (no disrespect intended to the elder community :)). Pretty much every drive I take involves at least 1 hard, pedal-to-the-metal launch at some stoplight and some “spirited” (but not hard) cornering. I do feel bad for any poor soul (especially those in any ICE sports car) who is unlucky enough to end up beside me at the front line of a stop light. :cool:
Even after 18 months of ownership, I still look for and take every opportunity to launch from a stop light.... that feeling never gets old! :D

sadly it is to be expected with a performance car - and one that makes it so easy to use the performance.
If you want to feel better about that previous set, put on a set of summer performance tires and see if the last a full summer :cool:
I managed 30k out of my MXMs but its was really slippy with any hint of moisture on the road, thank god for that superb traction control.

just stopped at america's tire today to get my tires rotated and a small leak fixed on one...I'm below replacement level on all four tires. hankook ventus s1 noble. only about 18 months and 21k miles on them (so I'm getting a nice credit on the new set, given the 50k mile warranty).

this comes after I only got roughly 12 months and 24k miles on the OEM Goodyears. those too i believe are rated for 40-50k miles (but no warranty on factory tires).

is this normal? granted I've never had a car like this before, but I've never had a car run thru tires like this before either...

driving style man. I’m on my oem and have 4K miles on it lol

Yep, my Ariel Atom wears through a set of rear tires in 1,500 miles of street driving. It’s just a cost of such a high-performance vehicle. It’s just like my Honda VFR 750F motorcycle from a couple decades ago, where the per-mile tire replacement cost on the Atom is higher than the per-mile gasoline cost. :)

Also, I’ve got 45k on the original set of tires on my 2018 RWD Model 3. It’s needing new tires soon, but the it’s not quite to the wear bars yet. I did a fair amount of quick starts originally, but not as much now that I’ve had the Model 3 for 2.5 years.

off topic but how does one obtain an Ariel Atom in the US

off topic but how does one obtain an Ariel Atom in the US

i purchased mine used off eBay. Have had it for a little over 10 years now. Mine is titled as a kit car in Kansas with an assigned number out of Colorado. Titling it in Kansas was the normal out-of-state title process where they basically just check the VIN against a stolen vehicle database. Depending upon which state you live in, there are different rules for getting them tagged for the street. In many cases, you have to go the kit car route. California has some really stringent rules because they rarely have catalytic converters on them.

Agree it is the weight in this car. As also mentioned if it did much spinning of the tires this would be worse. My last car had wider tires in a staggered set up (no rotation) and was RWD with near 500hp. Tires, ha.

Also if you have the pilot 4s, then 20k is just what you are looking at. At least you are taking those off for part of the year in climates that get below 45 degrees F.