Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The rational solution for the break in issue.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's put the irrational ideas aside and look at the break in issue from a pure rational way, and figure out the solution:

The reason anything happens in large scale, is that the benefit is bigger than the cost/risk. This is just simple economy and everyone, stupid or smart, eventually follows the same rules when in large scale.

For Tesla break in, we just need to find the solution from 2 side: reduce the benefit, and increase the cost/risk.

Reduce the benefit:

1. Don't ever put stuff in back seat, or truck, visible or not, unless you are with the car 100% during. Meaning it is for sure okay to use it to carry a table from Ikea to home or carry your skis to Tahoe and ski, but don't leave it in the car while you're gone. Even it is true that until they break in, they don't know if you have anything there, for long term and large scale, this is the most effective way to reduce the benefit. You're benefiting the community.

2. If you have to, the frunk IS safer. I know that you can break in the frunk with a 9v battery within 10 second, just as people can break in normal resident locks with foil within 10s. It is just simply more work to do beforehand, and less people are able to do it. Remember We're talking about large scale. Don't ask people to not use the frunk if they have to.

3. Put the rear seats down.
Increase the risk:

1. (+Risk) If possible, add car alarm, camera. Again, it is not about whether the police will act on it or not, but about the overall risk. Any increase in chance of risk will result in better situation.

2. (+Risk) If we are united enough, let's start a few honey pot operation, pm me if you're interested. This is effective until Bob jump out and say "you can't do that, because ***" in the comments, don't be like Bob.

3. (+Cost) 3M safety film may not be a bad idea. Making it harder to break.
It is not true that it cost NOTHING to those people to break in. It cost at least their time. I know you'd say that for those scumbags time is worthless, no it is not, in large scale.

As long as we reduce the benefit to be lower than the risk, people will stop do that in scale, definitely faster than legislation change or police funding change.

If still, break in happen to you, and you followed the rule here, you should be proud and report here, as you helped providing a valid point to them that "it is not worth it to break in a Tesla". If you read about this, (god-forbid), didn't follow, got break in and stuff stolen, shame on you because you provided a data point for "it is worth it to break in"

Context: I got break in 2018/6/2 in Mountain View century cinema, with nothing in the trunk.

Let's put the irrational ideas aside and look at the break in issue from a pure rational way, and figure out the solution:

The reason anything happens in large scale, is that the benefit is bigger than the cost/risk. This is just simple economy and everyone, stupid or smart, eventually follows the same rules when in large scale.

For Tesla break in, we just need to find the solution from 2 side: reduce the benefit, and increase the cost/risk.

Reduce the benefit:

1. Don't ever put stuff in back seat, or truck, visible or not, unless you are with the car 100% during. Meaning it is for sure okay to use it to carry a table from Ikea to home or carry your skis to Tahoe and ski, but don't leave it in the car while you're gone. Even it is true that until they break in, they don't know if you have anything there, for long term and large scale, this is the most effective way to reduce the benefit. You're benefiting the community.

2. If you have to, the frunk IS safer. I know that you can break in the frunk with a 9v battery within 10 second, just as people can break in normal resident locks with foil within 10s. It is just simply more work to do beforehand, and less people are able to do it. Remember We're talking about large scale. Don't ask people to not use the frunk if they have to.

3. Put the rear seats down.
Increase the risk:

1. (+Risk) If possible, add car alarm, camera. Again, it is not about whether the police will act on it or not, but about the overall risk. Any increase in chance of risk will result in better situation.

2. (+Risk) If we are united enough, let's start a few honey pot operation, pm me if you're interested. This is effective until Bob jump out and say "you can't do that, because ***" in the comments, don't be like Bob.

3. (+Cost) 3M safety film may not be a bad idea. Making it harder to break.
It is not true that it cost NOTHING to those people to break in. It cost at least their time. I know you'd say that for those scumbags time is worthless, no it is not, in large scale.

As long as we reduce the benefit to be lower than the risk, people will stop do that in scale, definitely faster than legislation change or police funding change.

If still, break in happen to you, and you followed the rule here, you should be proud and report here, as you helped providing a valid point to them that "it is not worth it to break in a Tesla". If you read about this, (god-forbid), didn't follow, got break in and stuff stolen, shame on you because you provided a data point for "it is worth it to break in"

Context: I got break in 2018/6/2 in Mountain View century cinema, with nothing in the trunk.
I think the rear seat down is probably the best thing for us to do right now. These idiots just associate Teslas with people who are rich and they think they will find something valuable in the car.

I've used a visual indicator like this: https://youtu.be/kogvx43coqY since my rear window was broken 11 days after ownership back in August in Oakland and I'm still paranoid. Been still parking on the street in the same area every week now and haven't had any problems (knock on wood). Paired with the blinking LED for the rear windows, Sentry mode and w/ rear seats down I feel more confident now parking around these parts. Sad it's come down to this but with what I have in place should be enough visual warning for the perps to skip to the next easier target, good luck to all moving forward and stay vigilant.