TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The real cost of gasoline

Discussion in 'Video' started by TEG, Jun 22, 2011.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#1 TEG, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Security costs

One significant cost the video left out is the significant cost we have spent in Iraq (over $1 trillion) and the money now being spent in Libia. Again that easily adds $.50/gal to the hidden cost of gasoline.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Nice. I think it might actually underestimate energy consumption for refining, though.

4. zack

zack Member

I've found estimates online surpassing a $4 per gallon "war tax" since our original invasion of Afghanistan.

5. zack

zack Member

One gallon of gasoline weighs about 6 pounds, yet it creates 25 pounds of CO2. No wonder we've changed the planet forever in just the last 100 years.

It's as if aliens arrived and pre-programmed us for self-destruction with a CO2 fun-time atmosphere perfectly suited to their needs.

6. JRod0802

JRod0802 Member

That was a very good video. I very much support reducing / eliminating our need for oil (foreign or domestic). That being said, I don’t think mentioning wars in a video like that would help very much. It would probably cause the conversation of the video to stray to deep political arguments and away from the purpose of the video, which is that burning gasoline is bad.

I think we can get everyone (well, almost everyone) to agree that burning gas is bad. Politics on the other hand… well… it’s much harder to reach an agreement.

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I'm surprised that government subsidies weren't mentioned (at least I didn't notice them mentioned in my quick viewing).

8. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

True, I didn't notice them in the video. According to this article the oil companies will get subsides worth about $2B per year for the next 10 years. As far as I know, those subsides are paid via taxes and so even if they were withdrawn the consumer would still lose as it would more-than-likely result in even higher gas (and oil) prices.

9. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

The oil consumer, that is.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Of course! They would pass the loss of subsidies on to their customers.

Not like they could give up having the worlds largest record breaking profit business of all time. Wouldn't want to cut into that...

11. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Saw Leo di C tweet this recently

12. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

The issue is: In any political environment, it is easier to continue to pay the subsidies than take the heat for making the price of fuel rise!!

13. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

In any political environment in the US....

There are usually hidden variables in these apparent constants.

14. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

That was informative.

15. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

$5.00/gal tax on gasoline

At the EVCCON (Electric Vehicle Conversion Conference) Jack Rickart of EVTV fame had what I thought was a brilliant suggestion to move us off oil. Forget all subsidies, energy tax credits and like and replace it with a simple policy to raise the taxes on gasoline $5/gal phased in over 20 years at $.25/gal/year. This would be a clear signal to US consumers and the world that cheap gasoline will never return. With a slow but predictable rise in taxes people planning for the long term would know fuel prices will rise and with the phase in over 20 years people and business can easily prepare and plan for this.

In all likelyhood the price of gas would actually drop over the next year or two as this would be a very clear signal to speculators that demand will drop off.

Thsi replaces our very confusing and changing energy policy with a simple but clear message, prepare to wean ourselves off of imported oil. I have written my congressman about this plan, not that I think he would ever consider supporting such a high tax. But I think that is exactly what we need to make the changes we need to make.

16. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

17. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I think this is a really good idea but agree it'll probably never happen. That would be considered a tax increase so you loose over half of the house right there. Then it would make travel more expensive for voters so you lose the other half. We need to do something though. The US doesn't have any plan when it comes to energy.

18. BinDrinkin

BinDrinkin New Member

How can burning one gallon of gas create 19 pounds of pollution when it weighs less than half that? Conservation of mass?

19. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

#20 Norbert, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
    gas + air ?

Or even + the pollution created by producing the gallon of gas?

Where did you get the number?