TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The real master plan

Discussion in 'Future Cars' started by gjunky, May 12, 2014.

1. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

#1 gjunky, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    (disclaimer: not to be taken serious)

TM stated their master plan for the company in the past and even posted on their blog about it:
    http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/secret-tesla-motors-master-plan-just-between-you-and-me
    However, I think the real plan behind their car design simply follows Elon’s personal needs throughout time. Let’s follow the past and speculate on the future.

Car #1: The Roadster. Was designed and developed before Elon was heavily involved and, more importantly, before he had kids. It was ok to have a 2 door sports car to drive around.

Car #2: The Model S. Move forward in time a little and Elon’s personal needs are changing with 5 boys in the baby/toddler stages at the time, the requirement for the Model S included seating for 7 including the two rear facing seats for young kids. As the car is now on the road and Elon has proven the full use of this design for his family on his cross country road trip, we are moving on to…

Car #3: The Model X. As his kids are getting older and bigger, Elon’s family will soon need space for 7 larger / adult people and the additional room to take them to events and to have a good alternative to the soccer mom cars on the road.

Car #4: The GenIII. Mentioned to be a high volume and lower priced car in the BMW 3 series range, this will be the perfect safety car for when his first kids start being of driving age. He won’t be asked for gas money and the build-in safety of the Tesla cars will keep his young ones safe. The addition of a possible auto pilot or other driving aids will assist in this.

Car #5: I am expecting will be a mid-life crisis car more sporty car or new roadster. Elon’s kids are on their own and driving their smaller Teslas. It is again time for Elon to take on the sportier 2-door coupe.

Car #6: A replacement for the now aging Model S to help his kids with their family needs.
    As you can see, the master plan is simply based on the Musk Family needs. It is a good thing if you can build your own cars 

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

What about the truck ?

3. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

... anf for Elon's final years:
    eqedype2.jpg

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

@gjunky, very clever and uncannily accurate analysis! Even though I believe that Tesla's car lineup just coincidentally happens to align with Elon's personal needs, I am hopeful that a future Tesla sports car does appear just as you have predicted ;-)

5. callmesam

callmesam Member

Next generation Roadster can be built on the GEN III base.

Pickup built on MS/MX skateboard.

6. gjunky

A car 4.5: Fun car could be a truck / dune buggy. I am thinking rally fighter style, but of course an EV, to take the boys off-roading

7. voidptr

voidptr Member

I've said something similar on other forums, but you missed the most obvious final stage:

Car #7: Mars rovers. No gasoline to burn on Mars, and that's where Elon's planning on retiring. Having a fully electric ground vehicle platform ready to go and with all the IP in house when the colonization starts is an obvious end game to me.

Add in hyperloop which is practically designed for Mars and connecting cities there. It even alludes to it in the white paper by using the Martian atmosphere as a point of reference to the tube atmosphere several times, which isn't a unit most people would pick.

8. gjunky

Yes, I agree. #7 was an obvious oversight.

9. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

The GranTurismo drawing really gives us all an insight as to what the very sports car may look like. Here's a link with more information.

And here's a pic.

i1iZJgJNzhJ5FC-1024x650.jpg