Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The real purpose of the tri-motor Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not like 5th Wheels - you cannot be in them while on the road. I am waiting for the Tesla Semi to come out - then they can make motorhomes that are all electric - that is what I am going to purchase. I have the Tri-Motor on reservation. I do not care about anything other than the range. I do not need the additional acceleration. I will have a tow hitch, but I do not know if I will actually tow anything.

Brent

I wonder why the tow capacity is so different between the three models of cT. 7,500lbs for one motor, 10,000lbs for two, and 14,000lbs for three. The tires are the same, the brakes are the same, surely the exoskeleton is the same. Is the motor diff really that important? Surely for getting up to speed quickly, and the larger battery pack allows for sufficient range when towing more weight. But can I really not tow (the 70's P.I.) Rockford's mobile home from where it normally sits to safety, when gangsters come for him because an investigation gets too close?

I wonder why the tow capacity is so different between the three models of cT. 7,500lbs for one motor, 10,000lbs for two, and 14,000lbs for three. The tires are the same, the brakes are the same, surely the exoskeleton is the same. Is the motor diff really that important? Surely for getting up to speed quickly, and the larger battery pack allows for sufficient range when towing more weight. But can I really not tow (the 70's P.I.) Rockford's mobile home from where it normally sits to safety, when gangsters come for him because an investigation gets too close?
Remember that electric cars don't coast like ICE cars do.

So you would have to engage the brakes to stop more weight? If the battery was full NONE of the motors would generate ReGen, so if the Tri-motor can stop 14,000lbs can the single motor? Perhaps the tri-motor does have better brakes, is that what you mean?

So you would have to engage the brakes to stop more weight? If the battery was full NONE of the motors would generate ReGen, so if the Tri-motor can stop 14,000lbs can the single motor? Perhaps the tri-motor does have better brakes, is that what you mean?
I'm not sure of the physics, honestly, just that it must have been a challenge to design an electric with towing in mind.

I wouldn't be surprised if the tri motor had better brakes specifically for that purpose. The performance models usually have upgraded brakes don't they?

If I want to even attempt to drive around the North Maine Woods, I would need 500 miles of BEV range. It's really the minimum range you'd want. And people up here driving ICE pickups frequently carry extra fuel with them for an emergency- something you can't do with an EV. I dare say the 500 mi range Cybertruck will be the first actual adventure vehicle Tesla will make.
You can carry a generator or solar panels for recharge.... just saying it can be done :)

Reactions: jsight and Gurule92
No. not really. Solar Panels on the CT are a hard no. Way to much money for way to little return. Keeping a generator in your bed of your truck to charge it? Possible but not likely.
Except we don't know a cost. I wonder if you had solar on your ev, could you count the whole purchase as a solar purchase for your home? Maybe if it had v2g.

That could be an interesting way to bring back some tax incentives for Tesla

I do wish people would lighten up about the colloquial term "bulletproof".

Yes, it (whatever "it" is) is not "bulletproof" against sufficiently fast/heavy/incendiary bullets; few products indeed will withstand a .50BMG SLAP round.
Yes, Elon used the term "bulletproof" for something not certified ballistic armor - it will stop lightweight normal-velocity 9mm under limited conditions ... unlike most vehicles for which such penetrates with ease.

If you're earnest about the "bulletproof" term, obviously you need look for something certified to an armor rating, which Cybertruck isn't (maybe because there aren't enough Cybertrucks to expend for ballistic ratings yet). Otherwise, recognize it's just a colloquial term for providing some level of resistance to common street-thug guns.

In time, someone will get a ballistic certification for Cybertruck. Let's get the pickups into production first.
Not many 50cal in my area, but 9mm seems to be the what gets shot mostly..