Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The real purpose of the tri-motor Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can see a use of 500+ miles without towing. If I plan to spend my vacation somewhere in Rocky Mountains with little or no access to electricity (super- or any-charger) (like this: Google Maps) and about 200 miles of driving to the nearest supercharger, a 500+ miles capable Cybertruck will have a big advantage over lower-mileage models.
Same...I plan to use it to go camping, and use it a stationary power source to power an air conditioner or heater for the tent...or for a small AC unit and fridge when the power goes out at home...the possibilities are endless.

It's going to be the most anticipated release yet. No real reference to compare, just green field thinking inside and out.
Proving my point, but doesn't stop me from dreaming too...

I still want the drop-down rear seat to extend the bed to inside the cab, and now I wanna be able to pull into a truck stop and MEGAcharge my cT in 15 minutes, as I just heard suggested on The Limiting Factor channel on YouTube.

Do you mean 'Greenfield' as in not 'Brownfield'? Constructing on virgin area? Or some other use of the word? Jenny Greenfield was always smart, perhaps you mean her, but that assumes you also grew up in Arlington.

Tell that to any EV hater talking about a road trip. I've heard "my diesel can go 700 miles and I don't need to stop."

Ok then enjoy lol

I notice that a lot, tbh. I read the comments on InsideEVs and Teslarati from time to time, and I see constant debates between the folks that need to pee for 30 minutes every two hours against the folks that drive 600+ mile diesel station wagons that only stop for 5 minutes before the next 600 mile leg.

Neither is a representative sample of the average buyer, of course.

Reactions: DirtyT3sla
I think the volumes are going to be huge so the aftermarket is going to take care of us. I figure the CT will have good "bones" (drive-train, battery, suspension, shell, ...etc..) so all sorts of mods and additions are going to be possible.

We'll get a preview of the new large cells when the Model S Plaid comes out and gets torn down and tested.

Yes, "greenfield" and not green (space) field. ;)

Greenfield project - Wikipedia

In many disciplines a greenfield project is one that lacks constraints imposed by prior work. The analogy is to that of construction on greenfield land where there is no need to work within the constraints of existing buildings or infrastructure.

Proving my point, but doesn't stop me from dreaming too...

I still want the drop-down rear seat to extend the bed to inside the cab, and now I wanna be able to pull into a truck stop and MEGAcharge my cT in 15 minutes, as I just heard suggested on The Limiting Factor channel on YouTube.

Do you mean 'Greenfield' as in not 'Brownfield'? Constructing on virgin area? Or some other use of the word? Jenny Greenfield was always smart, perhaps you mean her, but that assumes you also grew up in Arlington.

Mr. Uujjj's rule of thumb for towing with an electric vehicle is that a trailer of x pounds will use x/10 Wh/mi on top of what the vehicle itself uses, regardless of what EV you are using. So if the Cybertruck gets 500mi with a 200kWh battery (my best guess), it uses around 400Wh/mi. A 10000lb trailer will use an additional 1000Wh/mi on top of that for a total of 1400Wh/mi. So the Cybertruck with a 10000lb trailer should get around 142mi of range.

(This is a wild guess crudely based on what I've read about towing with the Model X and some basic physics calculations. Mr. Uujjj does not guarantee the accuracy of this rule.)

Now, I'm ignoring aerodynamics here, and aero matters a lot, so the "Uujjj rule" is very crude. But it can at least get the discussion started before we start seeing real world numbers.

• Funny
Reactions: Phlier and KenC
Depends on aerodynamics and how many layers the driver is wearing ;)

I lived in the Midwest for seven years. I saw people pulling boats and campers everywhere in the summer, but rarely saw anyone towing anything in the winter months. Towing a big boat at 30 below is pretty sketchy even with a diesel F-250 dually. Even here in California I see far fewer trailers during rainy season. Towing is mostly a summertime thing.

Maine, you will see people tow all year long. Boat, snowmobiles, trailers full of wood, construction trailers.
My dump trailer seems to get used all year long. Between wood, compost, sand, gravel, helping people move it gets a fair amount of use.

We don't currently own a travel trailer but had the dump trailer, boat/trailer, and 12 spot kayak trailer. I seem to be towing something a fair amount. The supercharger network in Maine has large gaps where you can go hundreds of miles without one.

My Tundra is sketchy once my dump trailer is full I was looking at an F350 before I ordered the Cyber truck. With the air suspension it should be a great upgrade.

Keep in mind 500 miles “range” is just a metric.

500 miles range is really 300-350 miles range in practice. Depending on a dozen things.

So no, it’s not just towing.

I also suspect eventually there will be a dual motor option with the Tri motor battery and perhaps get 600 miles range option.

RE: Range

I've always worked and lived in urban areas. That means traffic, traffic lights, general congestion, pedestrians, bicycle riders, ...etc.. so I'm getting good mileage with my MY.

Hypermiling Records: nextmove sets world records - Lausitzring

I'm really impressed with the MY efficiency after going up and down 2000 ft mountains to go hiking.

Sustained freeway drives are rare right now, but I'm planning to be taking long road trips when the CT is released. It's going to be interesting to see the CT's efficiency going off-roading. I won't be doing the Baja or any sort of trophy truck racing.

I want the range to do the 200 miles trip to the mountains without charging. Due to the 7000' climb to Donner pass and healthy highway speeds, it consumes over 300 miles of range (plus I carry a bike on a hitch rack) with the X. With 500 miles, I can charge to 90% and just go. The closed bed is added bonus. And the stainless steel body will be great to venture off the beaten path without worrying about paint.

Reactions: mark95476
We'll be using the Cybertruck as our main family travel vehicle, due to the storage capacity, seating, and range. I would also point out that the Raptor and RAM TRX absolutely don't need the performance characteristics either...but people sure do seem to desire them.

Of course, yes, towing is definitely a reason Tesla is pushing for longer range...but you'd think if that was the sole purpose they'd offer similar range on the Dual Motor.
Agree with your synopsis especially because I have a Raptor. I love it but it serves no real purpose and than to be fun. I ordered a tri-motor CT because it serves the same purpose--FUN!!! And, tbh, the range is really attractive. My Raven S at 400 on a full charge is great. However, if we want to road trip more range, more space for stuff will be great. It almost begs for you to take it on a road trip. Of course my last comment is the ultimate in pure conjecture because I've never, seen or sat in one. However, I've made a decision in my mind that it's going to be great thus it will. I think we are going to venture to Yellowstone from the east coast as soon as we get it and shake it down.

Reactions: JohnSnowNW
Yeah, having just done the trip from LA in a car with 325 miles of range, yet I had to stop TWICE for power I am beginning to seriously think about getting the TriMotor instead of the AWD I ordered. Wind and rain can limit your range.

I'll have to look around for a 14,000lb trailer now. Have we figured out if we can tow a 5th wheel yet?
I'm going to take my MY PUP from NJ to FL, it will require 5 charge stops and I think it'll be fine. I had a diesel MB GL350BTC and it only had to stop once, but my wife's bladder requires at least two additional stops so this won't be bad. Planning splitting over two days. 90% charge is about 250 miles.

So, am I the only one that sees this vehicle as the ultimate family car? Ample room for 6
I know I am going to use it as a replacement for our family trip car. We sold our suv a couple years ago for an E wagon and that was a huge upgrade. I am looking to replace the wagon with a CT, but probably not for another 3 or 4 years. I love the thought of being able to store all our ski/camping gear securely in the back without a extremely loud ski box on top.

I am not sure how far your family vacations are but I don't think seating 6 would be enjoyable.

• Funny
Reactions: Dan Detweiler
I know I am going to use it as a replacement for our family trip car. We sold our suv a couple years ago for an E wagon and that was a huge upgrade. I am looking to replace the wagon with a CT, but probably not for another 3 or 4 years. I love the thought of being able to store all our ski/camping gear securely in the back without a extremely loud ski box on top.

I am not sure how far your family vacations are but I don't think seating 6 would be enjoyable.
LOL, I just said it could fit 6. Never said it was advisable in every instance.

Dan