Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The real purpose of the tri-motor Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to take my MY PUP from NJ to FL, it will require 5 charge stops and I think it'll be fine. I had a diesel MB GL350BTC and it only had to stop once, but my wife's bladder requires at least two additional stops so this won't be bad. Planning splitting over two days. 90% charge is about 250 miles.
As an FYI, it takes 3 charges from Charleston SC to Miami, in my 3P so it might be a few more.

Reactions: Zer0t
2 things a bigger battery pack helps with

1. The rated range will not be achieved but the 20-80% SOC will be standard, your 500 mile vehicle has just become a 300-400
2. the battery pack can accept a high charge rate for a longer period of time

I am getting a tri motor because I feel it is the best BEV value on the market today and for me will be a daily driver, I have an ICE truck for when I need to work

to elaborate on point #1, for those of us in the colder climates, that 300-400 range can be reduced by another 30-40% during the winter months.
that has been my experience with the model Y

What is this "on the go toilet" you speak of?

1616034086702.jpeg

1616034184137.jpeg

. . . is towing.

I'm sure lots of people have realized this. There's no point to a truck doing 0-60 in 3s, or getting 500+ miles of range on a charge. You're not drag racing a pickup and you are not going to hold your pee for 500 miles. The point of the tri-motor, 500mi range Cybertruck is to get decent (~250mi) range and a sub-10s 0-60 time while towing a big trailer!

The tri-motor Cybertruck will be an awesome tow vehicle.
You're pretty on point. Aside from the obvious general cybertruck features that are the real driving factor for me, the tri-motor specifically is definitely for the towing aspect.

Related to the importance of range, if you are towing chances are you will need to charge before returning home. What are peoples experiences with supercharging with a trailer? Just getting gas with my highlander hybrid and 8’ trailer can be tricky at a busy station. How do you supercharge a cyber truck w/10,000 trailer at a busy supercharger station?

Last edited:
You're pretty on point. Aside from the obvious general cybertruck features that are the real driving factor for me, the tri-motor specifically is definitely for the towing aspect.
It is not about the off the line speed that matters, but Range does matter. A lot. Range is the most important thing. Always has been. Anybody with a decreasing range battery pack will tell you that.

Reactions: Big Earl
It is not about the off the line speed that matters, but Range does matter. A lot. Range is the most important thing. Always has been. Anybody with a decreasing range battery pack will tell you that.
ya exactly, the side effect of electric drive train with high torque is fast acceleration. like for instance the semi was not designed to do 0-60 in 5 sec. The acceleration is more of a side effect in order to get the towing capacity and range.

What are peoples experiences with supercharging with a trailer? How do you supercharge a cyber truck w/10,000lb. trailer at a busy supercharger station?
That's probably why everyone is so excited for truck-stops to start having Megachargers that will not only work for the Semi but hopefully the CyberTruck too. Elon claimed that the top charging speed of the CyberTruck was to be announced later, and filling a 500 mile 3 motor truck from a charger that really only gives fast charging to the Model 3 will be painful and as you say difficult with a trailer. As the Megacharger network starts to build out I can see the cT zipping in for some 7¢/kWh power just like the Semi's.

A guy can dream can't he?

. . . is towing.

I'm sure lots of people have realized this. There's no point to a truck doing 0-60 in 3s, or getting 500+ miles of range on a charge. You're not drag racing a pickup and you are not going to hold your pee for 500 miles. The point of the tri-motor, 500mi range Cybertruck is to get decent (~250mi) range and a sub-10s 0-60 time while towing a big trailer!

The tri-motor Cybertruck will be an awesome tow vehicle.

As an “Electric Service Representative” for the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power we would routinely set up Construction Temporary Electric Services. These services would supply electric power for sites to enable construction workers to power their tools. Fees for these services would run from $1,000 to upwards of $5,000 for residential sites.

A shrewd contractor could avoid these costs with the power supplied by a Cybertruck. Most tools today are battery powered anyway — the Cybertruck could be used to power the exceptions.

A smart contractor could justify the cost of a Cybertruck pretty damn quick.

I'm talking about the tri-motor with the largest battery, specifically. A ~200kWh battery is awfully big for running power tools. Even a big 50A 240V welder won't use up even half that battery in a full day of continuous use. If your use case is running power tools at a job site, you'll be just fine with the small battery.

I wonder if you will be able to power multiple tools at once at a jobsite? Such as a table saw an air compressor and a welder. How low will the truck let the battery get before it cuts off the power?
With a ~200kW battery, you could run a table saw, air compressor, and a welder for weeks at a normal rate of use before the battery runs low.

FWIW Mr. Uujjj's father is a contractor, with a Cybertruck on order! But he'll probably be retired by the time the truck shows up.

I pre-ordered the trimotor as a road trip vehicle. I do about 12 MD-FL trips a year that work out to about 900 miles each way. The range, ride, storage and ease of maintenance (bugs on the stainless steel front I don't think will be a problem) - make this the ultimate Atlantic coast to FL roadtripper for me. I love the range on my M3P, but it is tight both in storage and ride. I much preferred the more comfortable long trip ride on my Model S. To be clear, this thing will be a pain for most of everyday suburban life where I live (parking, road size) - but may just be with the trade off.

Reactions: Zer0t
I pre-ordered the trimotor as a road trip vehicle. I do about 12 MD-FL trips a year that work out to about 900 miles each way. The range, ride, storage and ease of maintenance (bugs on the stainless steel front I don't think will be a problem) - make this the ultimate Atlantic coast to FL roadtripper for me. I love the range on my M3P, but it is tight both in storage and ride. I much preferred the more comfortable long trip ride on my Model S. To be clear, this thing will be a pain for most of everyday suburban life where I live (parking, road size) - but may just be with the trade off.
I think its great tesla solved the pain of owning a cybertruck (parking and road size) by the invention of fsd. A car that drives and parks itself can behave like a normal smaller car