Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The real reason for scrapping ventilated seats!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is one of those instances where Tesla didn't need to reinvent the wheel but attempted to, failed, and now we're all left wondering whats going on...??? For instance, my Silverado had outstanding ventilated seats... They blew cold air on you from what I think was a built in a/c system as the seat had ventilation ports on the back where you could feel a bit of hot air coming out when they were running. Chevy, to my knowledge, doesn't build these in house they are sourced so why can't Tesla simply do the same?

It's my understanding, if you believe rumors, that Tesla discontinued the ventilated seats due to complaints that they didn't work... Well okay... That would likely be because Tesla never explained that they weren't actively cooled and only sucked the air away from you which is different and wouldn't meet the expectations of someone coming from an actively cooled seat...

I wish they would bring them back but at this point I've given up hope... Such is life...

Jeff

This is one of those instances where Tesla didn't need to reinvent the wheel but attempted to, failed, and now we're all left wondering whats going on...??? For instance, my Silverado had outstanding ventilated seats... They blew cold air on you from what I think was a built in a/c system as the seat had ventilation ports on the back where you could feel a bit of hot air coming out when they were running. Chevy, to my knowledge, doesn't build these in house they are sourced so why can't Tesla simply do the same?

It's my understanding, if you believe rumors, that Tesla discontinued the ventilated seats due to complaints that they didn't work... Well okay... That would likely be because Tesla never explained that they weren't actively cooled and only sucked the air away from you which is different and wouldn't meet the expectations of someone coming from an actively cooled seat...

I wish they would bring them back but at this point I've given up hope... Such is life...

Jeff
GREAT POINT

Reactions: beachmiles
Chevy, to my knowledge, doesn't build these in house they are sourced so why can't Tesla simply do the same?

Is this a serious question? I'm going to pull your Elon Musk knowledge card lol. This is the guy who made his CTO build Tesla's frickin' ERP software from scratch rather than just buying and customizing SAP/ Oracle like any sane company would do. This is the guy who didn't want Mobileye so he built vision from scratch. This is the guy who reportedly doesn't even want anybody else's silicone running his vision code so rumor is he's building custom chips. I could go on but I'll spare you lol.

BINGO - You got this right 100% - they should have explained it but there was no mention anywhere on Tesla's site or by their sales reps. I only remembered the vacuum/vapor pressure stuff because I paid attention in g-chem years ago during the gas laws chapter lol.

And I also noticed in the bad reviews when people said "They don't work. I can't FEEL anything" they were not specifying whether the seats prevented your shirt/jeans from getting damp in the summer. So I'd ask this specific question and almost never got an answer.

Personally, the chill-your-butt-like-an-ice-cube 2016 Mustang I rented last year was uncomfortably cold. The Tesla system keeps me from getting sweaty and that's all I ask. Sucks that they took it away.

Jeff

They gotta bring 'em back - it's a must-have feature today. If you really need vented seats the Katzkins solution looks pretty elegant and they have installers all over. A good upholsterer can do work as good as factory - I know a great one in Hollywood.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
To date, I've yet to feel a cooled seat that actually performed as advertised. At best they made noise but had almost no affect. And this was in nice cars too. M5, FX35, 550i, 535D, A8L, etc. They're as gimmicky as most car's massage features. Except for the 2011+ A8's massage features which are amazing but I digress.

Really? I had the Comfort Seats in a 2008 535Xi touring - by far the best seats I've had (although I almost bought a Volvo based on their seats alone). I could feel the air flow when I put my hand on the seat of my BMW. Far better than the ones in the 2013 Ford Explorer I had afterwards.

I still keep hoping Tesla will add in more functional adjustments to their seats (especially extending the seat bottom for longer legs and adjusting side bolsters).

Is this a serious question? I'm going to pull your Elon Musk knowledge card lol. This is the guy who made his CTO build Tesla's frickin' ERP software from scratch rather than just buying and customizing SAP/ Oracle like any sane company would do. This is the guy who didn't want Mobileye so he built vision from scratch. This is the guy who reportedly doesn't even want anybody else's silicone running his vision code so rumor is he's building custom chips. I could go on but I'll spare you lol.

Okay so you got me on that one for sure... Very valid point... Reinvent the wheel for absolutely no reason is sort of the mantra at Tesla... :)

Jeff

• Funny
Reactions: calisnow
Okay so you got me on that one for sure... Very valid point... Reinvent the wheel for absolutely no reason is sort of the mantra at Tesla... :)

Jeff
On a more serious note - I have often wondered if the reason Tesla customer service on both the sales and service side seems to be such a giant clusterf*ck where nobody knows what anybody else is doing - is precisely because maybe they are still using some hacked together, home brew ERP/CRM still creaking along from back in the day. I was shocked when I read that Elon had really made his guy code up ERP from scratch - was in his biography or an article somewhere I think.

There's no "real" reason if people are just making speculations here. I thought you got the "real" reason from Tesla from the thread subject.

Should have a question mark on this thread title, it's misleading.

Sorry?

You folks must live in far more mild summer climates than we do! Ventilated seat effect isn't subtle in the slightest for us here in sweltering central Texas.

I must be the only person on this thread who drives my car full Commando bottomless.... The answer is clear. Tesla vegan non-perforated may be "cool".... but to me, they taint' as nice

On a more serious note - I have often wondered if the reason Tesla customer service on both the sales and service side seems to be such a giant clusterf*ck where nobody knows what anybody else is doing - is precisely because maybe they are still using some hacked together, home brew ERP/CRM still creaking along from back in the day. I was shocked when I read that Elon had really made his guy code up ERP from scratch - was in his biography or an article somewhere I think.

I think part of the information gap between the various teams is by design. Investors, both positive and negative, are constantly clamoring for the latest information which could have major impacts on current and future sales. I think because of that the shell game Tesla plays internally is important even if it frustrates the hell out of the rest of us more often than not.

Elon should try to remember that new isn't always better and different isn't always necessary...

Jeff

I think part of the information gap between the various teams is by design. Investors, both positive and negative, are constantly clamoring for the latest information which could have major impacts on current and future sales. I think because of that the shell game Tesla plays internally is important even if it frustrates the hell out of the rest of us more often than not.

Elon should try to remember that new isn't always better and different isn't always necessary...

Jeff
Wisely said @jeffro01 after all, don't get me started on my next thread, "The real reason Tesla eliminated dark headliner for tan interiors"....

Really? I had the Comfort Seats in a 2008 535Xi touring - by far the best seats I've had (although I almost bought a Volvo based on their seats alone). I could feel the air flow when I put my hand on the seat of my BMW. Far better than the ones in the 2013 Ford Explorer I had afterwards.

I still keep hoping Tesla will add in more functional adjustments to their seats (especially extending the seat bottom for longer legs and adjusting side bolsters).
BMW's "comfort seats" take the crown imho for car seats. Had em on a '97 540i. The best. Just the best. Loved the articulating back.

BMW's "comfort seats" take the crown imho for car seats. Had em on a '97 540i. The best. Just the best. Loved the articulating back.

Oddly enough, I took a test drive of a 2017 Volvo V90 and found their seats too firm. The ones in a 2012/3 Volvo V70 were just amazing - you just sank into the soft leather just enough to be enveloped (although I don't remember if they had ventilation in the ones I tested).

The BMW's are still great seats with far more functionality, adjustability and roominess. Very comfortable for long trips.

So far as Tesla goes, they've made improvements. The difference between my 2016 and 2017 Model Ss are noticeable. They fall short (especially on the seat bottom - I would like to have the ability to extend the length to support my thighs for long trips) and adjustment of the side bolsters, seat bottom angle and ALL functions need to be on the seat - not through a screen (ie. headrests).