Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The REAL reason I’m excited about the Model Y...it’s not the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally understood. I think this might be the beginning of a new industry standard.
I personally don't like when people tell me what to do in 2019 i don't think "fat shaming" is necessary haha
20190227_153359.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: CarlK
Agreed on the depreciation hit for AP1 Model X vehicles. I just checked and there's a 90D for $59k and yesterday there was one for $58k. By the time the Y comes out, AP1 X cars are going to be high 40s / low 50s. And my 2014 MS 75 is prob going to be a $25k car.

Reactions: Latorre
@MrMannnilow,

Nice ride, could need some prettier wheels, though.

Our other vehicle besides the X is an '02 Tahoe.....

That's the best part about this Forum. It's not an "EV" forum, its just a place where People who like Teslas, talk about Tesla's. My wife is shopping for a Car and isn't ready for a Tesla (she's more traditional), so what am I steering her towards? V8 Performance SUV's of course, lol.
Once you get use to the Electric Juice, you always need that power, even if driving a station wagon.

Agreed on the depreciation hit for AP1 Model X vehicles. I just checked and there's a 90D for $59k and yesterday there was one for $58k. By the time the Y comes out, AP1 X cars are going to be high 40s / low 50s. And my 2014 MS 75 is prob going to be a $25k car.

Exciting times man. I saw an MX for $59k but it didn't last a day at the dealer, it was gone by the time I called.

Last edited:
Model Y would fit my use patterns well. We are urban dwellers, upper west side NYC, so a small suv is perfect for getting around for the few errands we run, visiting family in the burns, the occasional road trip and tailgating at giants games. It’s just the size to meet our needs. The Y isn’t overly large but has the conveniences of an SUV. I wish it wasn’t 2 years away and beyond for the 7 seat config (not a deal killer)

Last edited:
That's the best part about this Forum. It's not an "EV" forum, its just a place where People who like Teslas, talk about Tesla's. My wife is shopping for a Car and isn't ready for a Tesla (she's more traditional), so what am I steering her towards? V8 Performance SUV's of course, lol.
Once you get use to the Electric Juice, you always need that power, even if driving a station wagon.
I enter up driving a few v8 suvs. Was sold on a 2018 SRT Grand Cheroke but the Tesla is just so much more technology. And for some reason the car was originally titled in Canada and brought to the US and with 8k miles on it Jeep said it had no warranty so I quickly passed. Happy with my tesla even though I was looking for an suv

Purchased my X as my "last car" Reputation that it would go for 1 million miles with just a little maintenance.

Aluminum structure would never rust, regen braking make the brakes last a long time etc.

Now I am thinking I might be able to pull off a trade into a Y at no cost in about 3 years. Would get the new technology and greater range with probably an even $ swap.

Main reason that Tesla prices are going lower is that the cars are getting older. A 2016 model is of course selling for less than a 2016 was a couple years ago...it is now a 3 year old car, no longer a 1 year old car.

Purchased my X as my "last car" Reputation that it would go for 1 million miles with just a little maintenance.

Aluminum structure would never rust, regen braking make the brakes last a long time etc.

Now I am thinking I might be able to pull off a trade into a Y at no cost in about 3 years. Would get the new technology and greater range with probably an even $ swap.

Main reason that Tesla prices are going lower is that the cars are getting older. A 2016 model is of course selling for less than a 2016 was a couple years ago...it is now a 3 year old car, no longer a 1 year old car.
I chose to purchase a new 3 vs a used S for the tech reasons alone. I wanted the latest and greatest AP hardware. I think we are going to see cars with this kind of technology will change how we see depreciation hit.

I don't foresee them making the cars modular where you can easily upgrade the hardware causing the car to age very quickly. Look at the people with AP1 that were promised to get upgrades...we will always chase the latest tech. So I'm ultimately interested to see how this affects car prices

Is the X owner really going to want to do the downsize to a Y? Tiny in comparison if just a few inches expanded M3. I drive a mid sized SW, a Prius v (no longer made) and was stuck in traffic for 10 minutes yesterday. A blue M3 was directly behind me and I was admiring it but noticing how small it was by comparison. Most of the CUV/SUV models that are MPG economical have tiny trunk space in comparison to my wagon. I'm waiting to see an EV that I can get 4 people and 4 golf bags into comfortably for a 10 mile trip. Or 3 bags of trash and two big containers of recyclables. Or luggage for a two week vacation in another climate. Or a 6' driver, a 6'6" son, a 6'5" 300 lb son and a 5.6 wife for a 50 mile trip. Sloping rear of the M3 and the Y make that impossible.

@mikefocke :

Well, this X owner is really going to downsize to the Y ;)!

I don't really think the Prius V is much bigger than the Y - it does of course have a more squared-off rear end, but it's about the same size, and if anything, the Y will be bigger.

We have enjoyed the time with our X, but for one thing it's BIG by European standards (in fact, one of the BIG issues is the less than 5 millimetres remaining between the X nose and our garage door, after reversing in and making solid physical contact with the rear wall). And our garage isn't small (again by European standards). Another reason for changing will be the cost of fixing "problematic" issues with the X (front driveshafts, FWD etc.) after end of the 4 yr/80 K km warranty coverage.

We'll regret saying goodbye to the view through the super windshield and the advantage of FUSC, but look forward to getting a vehicle better adapted to local conditions - and in our case, like @Uncle Paul, we hope to be able to do the swap at no cost, and also for us it might become the "last" :eek: vehicle.

Model Y would fit my use patterns well. We are urban dwellers, upper west side NYC, so a small suv is perfect for getting around for the few errands we run, visiting family in the burns, the occasional road trip and tailgating at giants games. It’s just the size to meet our needs. The Y isn’t overly large but has the conveniences of an SUV. I wish it wasn’t 2 years away and beyond for the 7 seat config (not a deal killer)

I could relate my Man, I use to live in the city, now I'm up in Westchester. World of a difference regarding the parking situation. 2 years will be here before you know it.

Reactions: Zer0t