Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Real Use for Auto-Pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AKinDC

Apr 30, 2019
DC
I've never really understood the love for auto-pilot...this is a car I love to drive, why would I want to take that away?
I've tried it on the highways, and enjoyed the novelty for a few seconds, and then turned it back off. To be fair, I never really used cruise control on any cars I've had.

But this morning, for the first time, I loved AP.

I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, which is always miserable. Turned on AP, and let the car take over.
This is what AP is for. Being able to sit back and relax in heavy traffic.

Love it.

I've never really understood the love for auto-pilot...this is a car I love to drive, why would I want to take that away?
I've tried it on the highways, and enjoyed the novelty for a few seconds, and then turned it back off. To be fair, I never really used cruise control on any cars I've had.

I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, which is always miserable. Turned on AP, and let the car take over.

Love it.

Yes!

I've said this since before I even placed my Model 3 order.... and it's exceeded my wildest expectations. Autopilot in bumper to bumper traffic changes EVERYTHING.

It reduces stress. I don't get into that angry-gotta-get-me-out-of-this mode anymore. I don't need to change lanes. I can just relax during traffic, let the car do its thing, keep my eyes aware but just relax and listen to music, a ball game, or a podcast, or an audiobook, or whatever... and just almost enjoy the time in traffic.

It's unbelievable. Really, truly unbelievable.

Love it.

Just watch out for sudden braking sometimes. Sometimes it starts tracking vehicles in adjacent lanes and TACC triggers on them as if they are about to cut in front of you.

Love it.
So you don't live in LA....

You've obviously have never driven across some of the open and deserted western states. AP is a life saver.

Area-51-5.jpg

I was traveling this past weekend from near DC to Charleston, WV and decided to take the scenic route through the Potomac highlands of eastern West Virginia. I actually thought AP was working better for me in this area than on the interstate where it seems more "nervous" (phantom braking, swerving when lanes begin/end, etc.). A lot of the drive was mostly deserted two lane back roads and just letting AP drive while I watched the scenery roll by. At one point, Ode to Joy started streaming and it was like I was watching a travel documentary with sound track through the windshield.

And, I also agree that the few times I've been stuck in construction traffic, that AP has worked well in that situation.

Quick question, what's the best way to take over AP if something is going wrong? Just take the wheel and move it right? I've heard people disable it by stepping on the gas pedal? Which one is safest in case of emergency? Thank you

Quick question, what's the best way to take over AP if something is going wrong? Just take the wheel and move it right? I've heard people disable it by stepping on the gas pedal? Which one is safest in case of emergency? Thank you
There are three options to disengage Autopilot on a Tesla:

1. Take assertive control of the steering wheel.
2. Press the brake pedal.
3. Press up on the gear stalk (Model 3 / Y) or push out on the Autopilot stalk (Model S / X)

The go pedal only accelerates the car, it will remain at cruise control (though with no TACC braking) and Autosteer and coast back to the set speed when you let off the accelerator.

I agree with the OP. The main reason I was excited to get my Model 3 was AP in traffic (Los Angeles). I was pleasantly surprised that my expectations have been met. Not necessarily stress-free. It is still new to me and I am on high alert when using it. Not interested in being a negative Tesla statistic.

Interesting. So many stories of people loving AP. My experience was different. I just wasn't very impressed.

My M3 is used mostly for commuting from Oakland to SF and back every day. So I travel through neighborhood/residential, city, and 3-4 different limited-access highways in 40 minutes each way.

(NB: I should mention that I do not consider driving on public roads to be a chore or particularly mentally taxing as a baseline. Most people are garbage drivers, so I consider my job to get from point A to point B without letting anyone try to kill me, and that's all. I did some quantitative studies long ago showing that defensive/low-aggression driving adds less than a minute to my 40 minute commute. Long following distances, as few lane changes as possible, identify and avoid poor drivers, look way ahead, always leave an out, zero aggression.)

Anyway, my observations of AP were:

• When no traffic present, was about the same as regular cruise control
  • In heavy traffic, reduced mental load by maybe 10%ish (again reiterating that I don't get particularly anxious in the first place)
  • In flowing but heavy traffic, AP does not drive defensively. It does not leave itself outs or set itself up for smoothness (e.g. I know my target lane for ease of exit, and I switch to that lane whenever an easy opportunity presents itself). AP would sit in people's blind spots, leave inappropriate follow distances at low speeds which would lead to me getting cut off, etc. It doesn't anticipate that the guy to the left is getting twitchy and are clearly going to dive-bomb the next exit so you better give him some extra space or he'll do something stupid. Etc. It stressed me out how "dumb" AP was vs. just driving myself.
  • I tried using AP various places, but really the only place I could use it reliably was on the Bay Bridge, only after the toll plazas, and only after the post-plaza merge, which is a total of like 10 minutes of my 40 minute commute.
So I figured it was marginally valuable but probably not worth $3,000, and then after some strange behavior chasing lane lines, I decided I trusted it less than I trust myself. I guess I could see some limited situations where it could be nice, especially if it were free. But in general, I feel there is a long, long way to go with the technology before it would be valuable for my situation.

Q....I've heard people disable it by stepping on the gas pedal? Which one is safest in case of emergency? Thank you
The safest thing is to NOT put gas in your Tesla. :eek: I try and flip the lever up or tap the brake (if emergency ) since jerking the wheel still leaves adaptive cruse on and is more dangerous if you are startled.