Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

the "rear camera doesn't work" problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
in fact my SA did say that he didn't think that either the two-button salute, or the two-button + brake probably wouldn't reset the camera system.

I'm having the same exact problem. I think this is a different glitch beyond just the issues people have had with the backup camera not working. Beyond the backup camera issue, my location is stuck at one spot and doesn't change as I drive. Looks like I"m parked and not moving even through I can drive. It looks like the other cameras also don't work since not other cars show up on the screen and no road lines or other obstacles when driving. Nothing I've done has fixed this although I haven't done a hard reset yet. DId you try the hard reset (two button + brake) and did it fix your problem?

funny - just today I had all cameras (except dash cam, oddly enough) stop on me. not the purple lines but black on backup camera (white guide lines there, though) - and no autopilot for my drive since cams were all down.

tried 2 button reset twice. tried the 'turn off the car' button on the display. still no luck.

I'm thinking that timing is relevant. my current theory is that the car is about to put various subsystems to sleep and just as that was happening, I entered the car, started it and drove it. we call that a 'race condition', when things can happen at nearly the same time and the logic wasn't correct, in the code. if the user enters the car as a 'go to sleep' command is being sent, that has to finish (or be aborted) and then the systems have to be woken up, immediately. my guess is that the sleep and wake was not completed fully and so the cams are in a non-working state.

had I waited a bit longer before getting into my car - or maybe even less time - that might have avoided this race.

just a guess, but it does happen in embedded systems.

when I got to my destination, I plugged in, did a charge and when I drove home tonite, all was well again.

I have to say, this is quite an annoying bug. when I want autopilot to be there, I want it to be THERE and not in some wedged state that I, as a user, can't even nudge back to the right state.

stuff like this makes me have serious doubts if elon's gang will ever get the software quality up to level 5 standards ;(

funny - just today I had all cameras (except dash cam, oddly enough) stop on me. not the purple lines but black on backup camera (white guide lines there, though) - and no autopilot for my drive since cams were all down.

tried 2 button reset twice. tried the 'turn off the car' button on the display. still no luck.

I'm thinking that timing is relevant. my current theory is that the car is about to put various subsystems to sleep and just as that was happening, I entered the car, started it and drove it. we call that a 'race condition', when things can happen at nearly the same time and the logic wasn't correct, in the code. if the user enters the car as a 'go to sleep' command is being sent, that has to finish (or be aborted) and then the systems have to be woken up, immediately. my guess is that the sleep and wake was not completed fully and so the cams are in a non-working state.

had I waited a bit longer before getting into my car - or maybe even less time - that might have avoided this race.

just a guess, but it does happen in embedded systems.

when I got to my destination, I plugged in, did a charge and when I drove home tonite, all was well again.

I have to say, this is quite an annoying bug. when I want autopilot to be there, I want it to be THERE and not in some wedged state that I, as a user, can't even nudge back to the right state.

stuff like this makes me have serious doubts if elon's gang will ever get the software quality up to level 5 standards ;(

Yep, my autopilot isn't working either. So you didn't do a hard reset or anything and it just fixed itself? Mine has been like this for over a day now. I've tried everything short of a hard reset -- soft reset, turning off the car, letting it go to sleep for 9 hours today with no Sentry mode on.

Mine has been making that buzzing sound near front of the car that it usually makes when it conditions the battery for the last 5 hours, which really worries me. This is the first major issue I've had in almost 8 months of ownership. I definitely agree there's some kind of glitch in the software that we happened to hit it right to trigger somehow.

• Informative
Reactions: bcpm3p
....I've tried everything short of a hard reset -- soft reset, turning off the car, letting it go to sleep for 9 hours today with no Sentry mode on.

Mine has been making that buzzing sound near front of the car that it usually makes when it conditions the battery for the last 5 hours, which really worries me....
When you let it go to sleep for 9 hours was it plugged into the charger? If yes, try sleeping it unplugged for a few hours. Perhaps the charger charging intermittently has prevented a deep enough sleep for the Autopilot ECU to power cycle.

When you let it go to sleep for 9 hours was it plugged into the charger? If yes, try sleeping it unplugged for a few hours. Perhaps the charger charging intermittently has prevented a deep enough sleep for the Autopilot ECU to power cycle.

No, it was at work and it was not connected to a charger at all. I left it all the way in the back of the parking lot by itself. I tried the opposite last night by leaving it plugged into the wall charger at home all night. Still hasn't fixed itself this morning. I'm about at the point of doing the hard reset even though that's not the option I'd like to take.

No, it was at work and it was not connected to a charger at all. I left it all the way in the back of the parking lot by itself. I tried the opposite last night by leaving it plugged into the wall charger at home all night. Still hasn't fixed itself this morning. I'm about at the point of doing the hard reset even though that's not the option I'd like to take.
Running out of options I guess. Let us know how it goes. By hard reset you mean pulling the 12v battery as described earlier?

Last edited:
for those that are having problems getting the cameras back, are you sure you've disabled *all* things that might keep your car awake?

turn off sentry, maybe even go so far as to properly eject all usb devices (press on cam icons to turn dots from red to black then remove usb storage).

turn off wifi; extreme would be to remove all SSIDs that you've manually entered or auto-connected to.

park where you can get good LTE reception (car should be able to phone home if/when it wants).

don't use any websites that poll for status. don't use your phone to check on the car.

there's not a lot you can do to try to force a proper 'deep sleep' but those things listed can help (or remove some blockers).

Reactions: bcpm3p and Flatbat
I'm having the same exact problem. I think this is a different glitch beyond just the issues people have had with the backup camera not working. Beyond the backup camera issue, my location is stuck at one spot and doesn't change as I drive. Looks like I"m parked and not moving even through I can drive. It looks like the other cameras also don't work since not other cars show up on the screen and no road lines or other obstacles when driving. Nothing I've done has fixed this although I haven't done a hard reset yet. DId you try the hard reset (two button + brake) and did it fix your problem?

this is precisely what happened to me. a whole subsystem was down - cameras and GPS, and there was nothing in the "avatar" as my service advisor described the view of the car beneath the speed indicator.

2-button reset (two of them) did not fix the problem. the only thing that fixed it was letting the car go into a deep sleep overnight - the next morning it was fine.

on the bright side, since most of these seem to be fixed by the software self-resetting the right things, its just a matter of time before tesla nails this bug and hopefully we don't get regressions.

but there may be more failure modes than the ones that can be auto-fixed by sleep/resume cycles.

Reactions: bcpm3p
for those that are having problems getting the cameras back, are you sure you've disabled *all* things that might keep your car awake?

turn off sentry, maybe even go so far as to properly eject all usb devices (press on cam icons to turn dots from red to black then remove usb storage).

turn off wifi; extreme would be to remove all SSIDs that you've manually entered or auto-connected to.

park where you can get good LTE reception (car should be able to phone home if/when it wants).

don't use any websites that poll for status. don't use your phone to check on the car.

there's not a lot you can do to try to force a proper 'deep sleep' but those things listed can help (or remove some blockers).

Yes, I believe I disabled everything required to put into a deep sleep for the 9 hours I was at work. Not sure if there's a way to check if it actually went into deep sleep, but everything was off except LTE, didn't check through the app, Sentry off, etc.

I'm going to schedule service to see what they can do.

this is precisely what happened to me. a whole subsystem was down - cameras and GPS, and there was nothing in the "avatar" as my service advisor described the view of the car beneath the speed indicator.

2-button reset (two of them) did not fix the problem. the only thing that fixed it was letting the car go into a deep sleep overnight - the next morning it was fine.

Going to schedule service to see what they can figure out - hopefully remote diagnosis. Will post back on what they come up with.

hopefully you get a resolution. in my case they pulled logs from the car, couldn’t find anything they deemed interesting and canceled the service appt...

that's one way to read it.

another way is: they know about the problem, there's nothing a service center can do and everyone's waiting/hoping the developers find the memory or resource leak and roll it into one of the ota updates.

I'm quite sure they DID find the issue in the logs.

here is verbatim what they told me via text message:

That is strange I am not seeing anything in the logs and I was going to see if you could preform a scroll wheel reset to see if rebooting the modules would help resolved the concern.​

why gaslight?

logging depends on a few things. if apps are built with verbose logging on one software release but not another, then extra debug output may not be available. or logging can be turned off (we wanted them to do that due to the flash wear-out issue). or logging can be rotated (typical on unix systems) so that older logs get purged in a 'keep last N copies' style. and even a combination, where you have verbose logging and the logs send so much data out that they get rotated too often and you have less of a past time window still left on the car when they peek at the logs.

but again, my guess (just a guess) is that its easier to just say what they did than to go into the literal actual truth of the matter.

(it could also be that the people who can truly parse all the various logfiles are just too busy to look at YOUR case. the service guy can only look at summaries; the developers would have to look at tiny details and that takes a lot of time)

well all i can say is that this problem has seemingly been around for a long time and is not resolved, so if i were in charge of SW development i think i'd want the logging in place to isolate the error, even if that meant pushing a special build.

in my case < 24h elapsed from the bug report to their check, so there's just no way the logs were rotated in that amount of time. they'd never be able to catch anything if they were turfing logs so fast.

more than likely by now they know this is a real problem and they can't solve it, hence they are just shining us on.

well all i can say is that this problem has seemingly been around for a long time and is not resolved, so if i were in charge of SW development i think i'd want the logging in place to isolate the error, even if that meant pushing a special build.

in my case < 24h elapsed from the bug report to their check, so there's just no way the logs were rotated in that amount of time. they'd never be able to catch anything if they were turfing logs so fast.

more than likely by now they know this is a real problem and they can't solve it, hence they are just shining us on.

I hope they have a solve for this. It looks like there's been a complete failure of the camera system so it's not just a small thing.

You don't realize how much of the car is run by the cameras until something like this happens -- cruise control/autopilot has been completely shut down, the car thinks it's dark outside because the side and rear view mirrors have auto dimming turned on, the center screen is also dimmed like it's dark outside, auto mode on the wipers also doesn't work because the cameras aren't on to see the rain, sentry mode doesn't work, etc.

Earliest appointment I could get is for over a week from now at a service center so we'll see what they say. I'm sure they're going to run me through the same thing -- did you try the two button reset, did you try a full two-button+brake reset, etc. I'm guessing they can't look at logs or anything like that at the service center level, but hopefully they at least have an answer. I'm 3 days in now and still shows no sign of fixing itself.

Reactions: astrorob
So my rear camera failed again today, leaving me with this.

upload_2020-1-28_22-10-31.png

To recover it I first tried resetting with the steering wheel buttons and as expected it did not recover.
Then I disabled sentry, unplugged the hdd and let the car go to sleep. Teslafi emails me when it is asleep, which is handy. After about 45 minute of sleep I needed to use the car. On wake the camera was back and working properly. So the method recommended to me by the SC worked perfectly to recover the camera.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Had my appointment this morning to get it fixed. They said it would take a few days to complete so they gave us a loaner. Was surprised to get the notification that service was complete in the afternoon. My wife picked up the car and didn't ask questions, but here's what the service invoice said - "drivers assist module unresponsive after failed update. Performed 12V reset and restored communication."

Everything is now fixed. That was one of the fixes I had read about online and just wished I went through with it myself. I guess the silver lining is that I got a free interior and exterior wash out of it. All is well.