Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Rear Thump Sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DRIVE UNIT REPLACEMENT.

I had the same issue and (in my mind) it started with the firmware release that had torque sleep to save power. I assumed it was the motor powering down and didn't give a second thought.

However, my 'service light' came on last month and they replaced my entire rear drive unit. I wondered what warranted that and they asked if I heard a 'thumping*' noise (*they used an official word for it that slips my mind). Anyways, there is a certain tolerance for whatever that is and they replace the motor when the computer or technician feel it's excessive.

So, keep an ear open and perhaps even record the frequency and severity over time. Mention it next time you bring the car in.

DRIVE UNIT REPLACEMENT.

I had the same issue and (in my mind) it started with the firmware release that had torque sleep to save power. I assumed it was the motor powering down and didn't give a second thought.

However, my 'service light' came on last month and they replaced my entire rear drive unit. I wondered what warranted that and they asked if I heard a 'thumping*' noise (*they used an official word for it that slips my mind). Anyways, there is a certain tolerance for whatever that is and they replace the motor when the computer or technician feel it's excessive.

So, keep an ear open and perhaps even record the frequency and severity over time. Mention it next time you bring the car in.
My old DU had this thump sound, but I didn't think much of it. I had my DU replaced for the milling noise but my new one has the thumping noise too. I'll see how it plays out, hope I don't need another replacement.

I just started experiencing this (significant thump in the rear that feels like something heavy dropping into the trunk) recently. Was there any consensus as to what it is? Rear Drive Unit issue? I have service scheduled for May 27 but I'm wondering if I should push this up.

Thanks!

Recently had my S serviced and when I mentioned the thumping noise, the service guy said it's the AC unit, and he knows it's an annoying sound since he has a model S of his own. So when I received my car back a few days later (they replaced my DU and fixed a PANO leak), I heard the thumping noise at a red light, consistent every 3-4 seconds. I turned off the AC to see what would happen, and the thump went away.

As I said I have this noise too, and although my drive unit needs to be replaced as well, I do not think this noise is drive unit related.
I am becoming convinced that it is indeed something with the AC unit, like a ventilation flap or valve that makes that noise when it changes position.

I have a 2013 P85+ and I've started hearing this so-called thumping sound from the rear a few months back.

I usually hear it in the morning when I leave for work. Back out the car and then going forward is when I hear the metal thump (or clank) sound coming from the rear. I know it is not the AC unit since I always turn off the AC when I get home so the AC is off when I start up the car.

There's nothing in my car's trunk so the sound is coming from somewhere. I have a scheduled appointment with the SC next week for other issues (wheel alignment, panoramic roof seal, smart air suspension noise) so I'll bring up this item to them.

All,

I know there have been some threads on the thump sound that sounds like someone is bumping in to your rear end. Seems to happen when the car is at a stop for a minute or two and is, for me, very uncommon.

I'm going in to the SC for another reason and I'm thinking about mentioning it to them. Has anyone had experience dealing with the SC on this "issue"?

Thanks.
Tim

I recorded the frequency of the thud/thunk sounds and for my 2013 S85 with firmware v9.0(2018.48.12.1 d6999f5) it is happening every ~13 seconds. After four or five such 13-second intervals, there is a gap of about 2 minutes. This was while supercharging. Haven’t yet checked while parked.