Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Rear Thump Sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

I know there have been some threads on the thump sound that sounds like someone is bumping in to your rear end. Seems to happen when the car is at a stop for a minute or two and is, for me, very uncommon.

I'm going in to the SC for another reason and I'm thinking about mentioning it to them. Has anyone had experience dealing with the SC on this "issue"?

Thanks.
Tim

All,

I know there have been some threads on the thump sound that sounds like someone is bumping in to your rear end. Seems to happen when the car is at a stop for a minute or two and is, for me, very uncommon.

I'm going in to the SC for another reason and I'm thinking about mentioning it to them. Has anyone had experience dealing with the SC on this "issue"?

Thanks.
Tim

Of course the SC is the best place to get your answer.... but here's an alternative which: sounds | Search Results | TeslaTap

My Dec 2014 S85 has starting making this kind of noise recently.
Very odd as it happens at full stop only. It is not very loud, but a very low-frequency sound. It is as if some torque was still applied to the transmission, then suddenly not applied anymore, releasing tension on the drive train. But there is absolutely no shake or vibration when it happens.

I hear the same noise as well. Usually when the car is stopped waiting to pick up the kids from school. Sounds like another card door right next to mine is closing and you can sometime feel a pressure change. I though it was normal. But it does get me every time.

I have the same thing on my 85D... It started after the last update. I thought it was some type of torque sleep..... Sometimes air suspension causes the breaks to grind while raising and lowering. I thought this might have something to do with it as well.

The first 2 times I used a supercharger (after delivery) I had this happen. Haven't had it happen since.
I was sitting in the car and just feel this bone jarring clunk. 2nd time it happened, my passenger thought we had been rear ended.

90D w/ SAS, delivered 9/25/2015 and both occurrences sometime in the couple months.

Upgraded my FW this afternoon, tonight I heard the thump for the firs time(s) when stopped at a light. I say time(s) because it was a long light, and I heard multiple thumps (seemed like every 5 seconds or so) while my foot was on the brake.