Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The reason Tesla will overtake BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe that Tesla has had tremendous conquests from prior BMW owners. Lots on 3 series and 5 series trade in for Tesla.

Their biggest advantage is Tesla's far lower center of gravity, instant throttle control and recently BMW has gotten away from their famed 50/50 front rear balance.

For many BMW owners, a Tesla has become their aspirational vehicle. Few want to own a BMW after their warranty runs out.

Lots of enthusiasts on BMW forums complain that they have lost their way, and do not have that old BMW magic.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
upload_2021-2-8_17-47-50.png

why would anyone want this

ICE vehicles have a huge styling disadvantage over EVs.

The latest pedestrian protection mandates require them to keep pedestrians from hitting solid motor structures upon impact.

This has resulted in ICE cars getting significantly more ugly recently.

EVs do not have this issue, because there is so much empty safety crush space beneath their hoods.

Notice the awkward nose slope and phony side grills on the front of the BMW above.

• Informative
ICE vehicles have a huge styling disadvantage over EVs.

The latest pedestrian protection mandates require them to keep pedestrians from hitting solid motor structures upon impact.

This has resulted in ICE cars getting significantly more ugly recently.

EVs do not have this issue, because there is so much empty safety crush space beneath their hoods.

Notice the awkward nose slope and phony side grills on the front of the BMW above.
This.

A lot of people don't understand this. I've been complaining about it for over a decade now? A number of years ago they enacted European safety standards mandating a certain amount of space between the hood & the engine so that inebriated pedestrians have a higher chance of survival when they leap out in front of your car from behind a bus.

IMO it's the single most responsible thing for the uglification of modern cars. Raising the hood changes everything - the entire car basically has to be redesigned. The beltline has to be raised - so the wheels look smaller, which means they have to make them bigger to compensate. The windows get smaller, the ass-end has to get taller, and a whole host of other design elements have to change to match. It's awful. I miss cars having a tiny "overhang" above the front wheel:

upload_2021-2-8_21-24-32.png

upload_2021-2-8_21-25-3.png

The darker side of me believes that politicians do these things to ultimately make cars & driving totally undesirable in the quest to eliminate personal transport. Thankfully EVs have a lot of breathing room to make cars beautiful again so let's hope they take advantage of that (until they ruin them too). I'd take higher pedestrian impact fatalities over ugly cars any day of the week. But that's just me. ;)

De gustibus non disputandem est.
It is objectively hideous.

Last edited:

Oh, yes. Yes it is. I don't care for the new BMW stuff at all. Looks like an Infiniti from the side, the light look like Audi, and the front end looks like Dodge.

E46 was a beautiful car. I still have my E60, and I'd call it a very handsome car (M-Sport). Of course, it is a 535i, so it is pretty light and nimble compared to the nose heavy 550i. Has a 6-speed, too, which helps. There used to be a simple elegance with BMW. Now the are just charicatures.

All that said, each generation laments the passing of other things. 1974 saw bumpers change, and people hated it. 347 airbags per car and anti roof collapse stuff have made A-pillars bigger than the C-pillars on 70-74 GM F-bodies. Which makes visibility tough. People hated the Bangle era BMW"s initially, but now they are pretty classic looking. Who knows how things will be decades later. All that said, BMW has just lost its way. Audis still look good. Mercedes Benz look good, especially to be comprised of pure fecal matter. The pedestrian safety requirements haven't killed the looks of all cars.

The prototypical car to which young adults aspire to own.
I think this is true. At least in Cali little kids point at Tesla. When people know you drive a Tesla people are more curious. My accounting significant others office mates found out I drove a Tesla, they’re like “dude... he drives a.” And when nurses ask about cars they want they say “Tesla.”We know the quality issues and issues with the service center which I agree but there no denying Tesla has the culturally Zeitgeist. I remember growing up in the 80s bmw had that image now it’s Tesla.

Last edited:
This.

A lot of people don't understand this. I've been complaining about it for over a decade now? A number of years ago they enacted European safety standards mandating a certain amount of space between the hood & the engine so that inebriated pedestrians have a higher chance of survival when they leap out in front of your car from behind a bus.

IMO it's the single most responsible thing for the uglification of modern cars. Raising the hood changes everything - the entire car basically has to be redesigned. The beltline has to be raised - so the wheels look smaller, which means they have to make them bigger to compensate. The windows get smaller, the ass-end has to get taller, and a whole host of other design elements have to change to match. It's awful. I miss cars having a tiny "overhang" above the front wheel:

View attachment 635167

View attachment 635168

The darker side of me believes that politicians do these things to ultimately make cars & driving totally undesirable in the quest to eliminate personal transport. Thankfully EVs have a lot of breathing room to make cars beautiful again so let's hope they take advantage of that (until they ruin them too). I'd take higher pedestrian impact fatalities over ugly cars any day of the week. But that's just me. ;)

I'm sorry but that's just an excuse. If Kia and Hyundai can start making attractive vehicles, BMW doesn't have an excuse on why they put such a big beaver teeth on their cars.

I really really really regret selling my 2010 bmw 128i manual with m-sport package. One of these best cars I've had. Solid build quality, cheap to own, reliable. Not fancy at all, and the cup holders were inadequate, very basic car but it was pure classic BMW. Yes it was 0-60 under 6 sec and my tesla is way quicker but man that was a fun car. Great shifter. If I had known I'd buy a tesla I would have held on to that car and not bought my prius.

Best thing about my old Z4 was that since the roof leaked and it had a host of other maladies, there were some terrific loaners over the years:

GOAT - 330i Loved that loaner so much I was tempted to sneak into the service bays and hack off a fuel line or something... just to keep that 330i for a few more days

Close to GOAT - 530i station wagon with manual transmission. The dealership apologized that this was the only loaner they had left that week. (Presumably because it was a manual). Apologize for what ? That thing was the best highway cruiser I ever drove. I avoided returning the "your Z4 is ready" phone calls so I could keep the 530i over the weekend.

No reason to go into the Tesla lack of loaners in my area... sigh...

I'm coming off of a E90 335i 6MT and while I love driving the car, it's a reliability nightmare. It's been in the shop 27 times for something moderately to severely problematic like the HPFP failing (6 times). Yet, I would have considered getting a 340i however they got rid of the manual which was the only reason for me to get one. Additionally, I haven't heard many positive things about the driving dynamics of BMWs with electric steering. I got my M3P in December and am really pleased with it, panel gaps and all. I was driving it today and seeing 93 octane prices up to $3.29, I felt I made the right choice. I'll never go back to ICE again.