Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The reason Tesla will overtake BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's rage about BMW itt.

There are a lot of BMW transplants on this subforum who share my disdain for what the brand has become, and although I typically find Doug DeMoron's videos pretty 'meh' - he absolutely nails it with this one:

I can't quite explain it, but to me, Tesla today feels more like BMW did when they peaked in the early/mid-2000s. There's a simplicity and balance to the Model 3's "philosophy" that's more familiar to me than that of any newer BMW.

I also agree that it'll take a monumental effort to turn this around. Anyone who's worked in a corporate environment knows the staggering momentum that idiotic leadership can create. It's gonna be tough to get rid of these guys in time...

upload_2021-2-7_12-14-19.png

BMW 2020 US sales 280,297 vehicles

Tesla 2020 US sales 292,902 vehicles.

Worldwide we're probably looking at 2023 for Tesla to pass BMW in annual sales, though 2022 might be possible if BMWs sales keep dropping YoY as they did 19->20.

Reactions: 67King
BMW 2020 US sales 280,297 vehicles

Tesla 2020 US sales 292,902 vehicles.

Worldwide we're probably looking at 2023 for Tesla to pass BMW in annual sales, though 2022 might be possible if BMWs sales keep dropping YoY as they did 19->20.
That’s kind of amazing considering Tesla has only 4 models and 2 of which are mainstream. BMW has like 16 SUVs and practically zero electric cars now. BMW could’ve kept their lead on EVs if they evolved the i3. Instead they decided to make 16 SUVs

The video is the definition of fluff :( No research at all, just some guy's opinion based on like 2 tweets. It's a complaint about BMW *marketing*. Retail marketing these days is pretty universally bad, regardless of brand. Fun fact, marketing has very little to do with product design. "The lineup is dominated by crossovers!" Well yeah, that's because everyone else in your family buys crossovers Mr. Car Enthusiast! Every car brand is facing this challenge, not just BMW. Just like every brand is struggling to tackle the EV challenge, and will continue to do so, none of them have the agility to actually compete with Tesla.

I enjoy my Model 3 a lot, but it's no BMW. My 2017 330xi wagon was better in nearly every way. Better handling, better balance, better seats, better steering wheel, better NVH, better fit and finish, better headlights, better lighting overall, better styling, the list goes on. The Model 3's main advantages are more power, autopilot, and better infotainment.

To be fair, my wagon was well optioned. M Sport and Track Handling packages along with fancy lights. My one regret was not getting the adaptive cruise control. But mod-wise all I did was change the springs (AC Schnitzer) and add a thicker rear sway bar. If the wagon came in a 6 cylinder in the US there's a good chance I'd still have that car.

I really enjoyed pushing the bimmer. It felt super composed at brisk speeds. But ~250hp just isn't enough to have real fun :) One of the major factors in my decision to rid myself of the BMW is the hostility CA has towards car engine modification. I'm sure I could have bumped the hp up to 300ish but it would have been a pain in the ass to do so.

OTOH, having driven some newer stock 3 series' as loaners, I agree the BMW is losing it's "touch". You can still get a proper baddass M-series car but the prices are pretty outrageous. I wouldn't buy a non-M BMW without the electronic dampers (M Sport or Track Handling give you those). But with that in place the wagon was the perfect blend for hauling kids and dogs one day, and hauling ass the next (minus the lack of power) if you're the kind of person that wants to drive a car and not a boat.

I enjoy my Model 3 a lot, but it's no BMW. My 2017 330xi wagon was better in nearly every way. Better handling, better balance, better seats, better steering wheel, better NVH, better fit and finish, better headlights, better lighting overall, better styling, the list goes on. The Model 3's main advantages are more power, autopilot, and better infotainment.

How much does the MPP comfort coilovers close the gap by?

That’s kind of amazing considering Tesla has only 4 models and 2 of which are mainstream. BMW has like 16 SUVs and practically zero electric cars now. BMW could’ve kept their lead on EVs if they evolved the i3. Instead they decided to make 16 SUVs

I owned mine from 1970-1982, wrenched it, competed with it, was in a club that shared expensive tools and worked on their cars. That was when bimmers started turning into beamers and when they only had about 4 models. I got the first ticket issued to a 3 series in the US but after the first M1 they've lost their vision to me.

I8 cool looking, no range, fake sound wtf?

Reactions: Dolemite
How much does the MPP comfort coilovers close the gap by?

Not as much as I would have hoped. To be fair they are WAY better than the stock dampers. The stock performance dampers are really poorly tuned and, after adding lowering springs, it just made things worse. OTOH I chose the MPP Comforts as a cheap stop-gap. I really hope someone (e.g. KW) makes electronic dampers for the Model 3. It's so nice to be able to toggle the ride at the press of a button. But even if we had something like KW DDC, we won't have the software controlled damping like a BMW.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tres_Azul and zhu-
As someone who is in the waiting room for a model 3 performance and an owner of bmw m2, I can say that tesla sure has overtaken bmw currently. However, I can also say that most people who buy bmws lease their cars as they want a new car every 3 to 4 years. Will be interesting to see what will happen once those "mainstream" model 3 owners, not the tesla fanboys who had a deposit down on day 1, get tired of their model 3 or y.

As someone who is in the waiting room for a model 3 performance and an owner of bmw m2, I can say that tesla sure has overtaken bmw currently. However, I can also say that most people who buy bmws lease their cars as they want a new car every 3 to 4 years. Will be interesting to see what will happen once those "mainstream" model 3 owners, not the tesla fanboys who had a deposit down on day 1, get tired of their model 3 or y.

I am one of those "BMW mainstream" people who leased basically only BMWs for both my wife and I for the past 15 years or so. My model 3 performance (purchased in 2018) replaced an estoril blue 435 M sport model, pretty much every option that BMW puts on that vehicle from the factory, including the M performance power and sound kit, adjustable suspension, etc. It had an MSRP north of 65k (leased it, and did not pay anywhere near that for it but that gives BMW people an idea of the options selected for that vehicle).

Anyway, when it went back, I didnt want a 440, and was going to lease an M3. since they were not being made any longer I couldnt order it, but had found one I wanted that BMW had made at the end of it the f80 run in individual color for no additional charge, in a color I really liked (one of the greys, I forget the exact name).

Anyway, went to test drive a model 3 performance, and never finished negotiating on the M3. I have my model 3 performance a little more than 2 years now, and like it as much as I did when I got it. By this time, I am normally pricing out replacement cars. Part of it, for me, is that I like technology, and would always get annoyed how "the new BMWs" did something mine didnt, even though I ordered every option. The other was, I needed to drive it in sport mode to be happy with how it drove, which ment I got about 17-18 MPG. It also didnt "love" to drive slow, so cruising in it was not "great".

My model 3 performance solves both of those issues for me. It drives great, is very comfortable to cruise in as well, is faster in usable speed than my 435 was (significantly so), and I dont have to get annoyed because "iDrive 7 will have XXX but your car leased 2 years ago wont have that feature because you have iDrive 6". My model 3 performance is faster, quicker, and much cheaper to operate.

I wont be going back to an ICE vehicle as a daily driver. My wife still has a leased X3 M40, and not sure what I will replace it with when the lease is up. She doesnt like the look of a model Y, we cant afford a new model X. We might keep it, since she only put 5k miles on it in 2 years so far.... even though buying out BMW leases is normally not a smart idea due to the inflated residuals BMW assigns to their cars when leased through BMW FS.

=======================
moderator note:

I have been looking at this thread for a couple of days, wondering if it should stay here in this section. The video is one on BMW (so not model 3 relevant). I havent watched it, but doubt its a comparo between the two vehicles. The thread isnt couched as a "comparing a model 3 and XXXX BMW" which would make it belong here.

On the other hand, the model 3 specifically is a direct competitor to the 3 series (among other vehicles), and a comparison between the two vehicles would be appropriate here. The thread is more about BMW than tesla model 3s though.

In the end, I decided to leave it here and hope that the discussion would be between BMW and tesla model 3s and why people picked one over the other, which would be appropriate here.

Last edited:
Really love my current F30 335. Had been planning to test drive a Model 3 when Covid hit and we tightened up expenses for a bit. Now that we're in an even way better financial situation than before (due to very good investments made last year) and my car spending targets have gone up, I'm still coming back to the Model 3. Nothing BMW makes right now looks enticing. The M340 and M5 are the only cars that still look half decent, but the prices on them are not intriguing. I think a green RS5 Sportback or E63 AMG wagon might be the only cars that could beat out a Model 3 right now for me, but the increased cost to own just projects to be way too much for the difference in vehicles. The G70 and Giulia both seem like potentially better alternatives than BMW right now (tho smallish back seats in those could be a problem for the two large car seats I now need). With BMWs current direction, I'd almost be tempted to short the stock. In general tho, American car dominance seems to be making a comeback with GM, F, and TSLA looking more and more like the future.

TLDR; this BMW owner is likely moving on

Reactions: jjrandorin