Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there, I am placing my order this week to take advantage of the referral discount that ends 10/15 that a friend of my provided me. I know a lot of people post a lot of things about getting the fastest best Model S available out there, but I never found a good post about someone looking for the reasonably priced Model S. The one that is not stripped down to stock that no one ever buys - or is ever completely happy with, but one that is configured for mainly commuting, some luxury and just a dash of spirited driving.

Now I have been driving the same car for 15 years, it's in really good condition and it drives very well (no mechanical issues), and I have done performance modifications. I definitely would not place it in the "race" category by any means but it was a nice tuner-lite, daily driver from when I finished school. But it's time for me to treat myself to a new vehicle, hence the Model S.

I live in the Los Angeles area and my commute is roughly 18miles each way, so really nothing to worry about here and I am sure any of the alternative plug-in hybrids or smaller EVs would do, but I want something that is nice, that I would enjoy driving and that would give me an alternative my wife's GL

I really don't plan on driving out to the mountains in the winter in the Model S, I have a Mercedes GL for all the long family trips. But I do want to cut down on the GL driving during the week if I can - gas is just another added expense, and I am a solar customer that owns his own solar system that is over producing, so my electrical bill is literally $0 (plus the $22 LADWP connection fee that is).

I have 3 kids 5 and under so carseat is still in my foreseeable future. But I'm not the one primarily shuttling them around.

So here are my considerations:
  1. Keeping costs low or reasonable - Decision: 60/75, as fast as the 90D or above is I'm not needing the range or the performance. I'll be purchasing not leasing the vehicle.
  2. Rear-wheel or Dual - Decision: Rear-wheel, I'm really on the fence on this one. I am not planning on doing winter driving, and even pre-D Model S's were quite capable of winter conditions. So what am I really gaining for $5k other than 8-10 miles of range and .3 sec off of a 0-60? If performance is NOT my primary concern, will I really be missing the Dual motor? And let's put it this way, if I don't get a Dual motor, I could go on a nice Island vacation without guilt, purchase a few nice firearms before they are banned in 1/1/17 or probably more responsibly add $5k to the kids college fund. Can I afford an extra $5k, yes, but will I be disappointed not getting a D?
  3. Premium Upgrade Package - Decision Add it - doesn't make sense not to have this package.
  4. Auto Pilot - Decision: Add it - I'm commuting, in LA. Sure probably doesn't work 100% of the time but I'm not going to be taking a nap, but my stress and frustration will hopefully be less if I can just set it and enjoy being an active passenger. Suppose there could be an argument here to add this feature down the road and take advantage of a feature now that I can't, like D or Premium Sound
  5. Smart Air Suspension - Decision: Skipping it. I know the ride is a bit smoother with it, and there's the capability of raising your car if you are driving on a steep driveway, but no where in my daily commute do I have these conditions, and the few times I may be approaching a condition where this might be useful, I'm used to navigating carefully with my current car which is lowered. I actually prefer a bit more of the sporty feel of coils, makes me feel more connected to the road. I also had an issue with the Mercedes air suspension once and it was only 2 months out of warranty and that cost me $4000 for the front pair only to replace. An expense I'll look to avoid.
  6. Sub-zero Weather - Decision: Skipping it. Again, I'm in Los Angeles. This would make sense to add if I were in a cold climate zone but I am more worried about cooling my butt than heating it.
  7. Ultra high fidelity sound - Decision: On the fence. Arguments can be had for or against this. I am an audiophile when it come to my home AV equipment but I don't typically listen to a lot of music in the car. I enjoy audiobooks for commutes most of the time, but I can see times where even in my current vehicle I wish I had some more oomph to the system. I'm a far cry from my teenage self where blaring music was really fun. I also read that even with the UHF option, the sound is not superior to aftermarket. I'm leaning towards skipping it, but I want to hear some feedback in this area too. I'm a DIYer so I'm not opposed to NVX BOOST bass kit or a Light Harmonics replacement of stock. It's about the same price in the end but from what I've read much better quality.
  8. Rear-facing Seats - Decision: Skipping it. As I am looking at a purchase vs a lease, it's an investment with diminishing returns for me as a family man. My kids will be in the back row most of the time but the few weeks I might have my parents visiting I could stick my two older boys in the back. But kids will only grow bigger and eventually won't be able to sit back there. And if I seat them back their I won't have space for luggage, strollers or other things, putting me back into my GL if I need to haul 7.
  9. Charge Upgrade - Decision: Skipping it. Majority of my driving will be local and on the off chance I take the Model S vs the GL on a road trip, I can afford to take the little bit extra time to let the vehicle charge and enjoy what's around a charging station.
  10. Personalization - I'm not really looking for much feedback in this area as I believe any owner customizing his/her own car will have their preferences, I will share what I decided to go with. Decision: Pano roof, Red paint, Light grey interior/2nd gen seats, stock 19" wheels. All I will add here is that I opted for 19" wheels because it's cheaper to replace the tires eventually, provides a better ride, you won't cringe and pray you didn't bend a wheel if you it a pot hole and performance wise is actually better if that's what you're looking for over 21".
Anyways, can't wait to hear some feedback. Remember the name of the game here is keeping it reasonable $75-85K budget.

I'd drop the Pano roof; we have on both of ours and, frankly, the light it lets in is marginal at best. Don't even notice it from the driver's seat. Consideration: if you get UHF Sound, then you'll lose the XM Sat radio capability. (Not that you'll be missing much as internet radio is quite a thing.)

I'd also ADD the "D." Since you have a bit of sport in you, I've found the launch and general acceleration are greatly enhanced by the dual motors. Note that you will NOT get a larger frunk with the single motor any longer as all the mid-life cycle update cars have the same frunk: small.

Lastly, consider saving another few grand by dropping the leather seats and getting the standard seats: much better for the environment, they'll wear FOREVER (very much unlike the dead cow skins' seats), and they're much cooler in hot weather.

Oh, and the charging upgrade has no bearing on trips--Superchargers bypass onboard charging. (And, no you don't really need it for home use either, unless you're an "on call" doctor that might need to drive a very long distance an hour or two after arriving home.

I'd drop the Pano roof; we have on both of ours and, frankly, the light it lets in is marginal at best. Don't even notice it from the driver's seat. Consideration: if you get UHF Sound, then you'll lose the XM Sat radio capability. (Not that you'll be missing much as internet radio is quite a thing.)

I'd also ADD the "D." Since you have a bit of sport in you, I've found the launch and general acceleration are greatly enhanced by the dual motors. Note that you will NOT get a larger frunk with the single motor any longer as all the mid-life cycle update cars have the same frunk: small.

Lastly, consider saving another few grand by dropping the leather seats and getting the standard seats: much better for the environment, they'll wear FOREVER (very much unlike the dead cow skins' seats), and they're much cooler in hot weather.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know that the Frunk was standardized to the smaller size regardless of the motors. I don't care for XM Sat Radio so it's not much of an up-sell. As for the Pano roof, I suppose it's not as impressive as the X having a sweeping front glass bubble, but I like the openness of it. And I like the option of opening the roof. But not a necessity, just a personal preference.

I'm swaying a bit towards the D now.

As someone in a similar position, trying to get into a Tesla without completely breaking the bank, I was ready to make almost all the same choices. However, I couldn't pass up a great deal on an inventory S90D for $600/mo on a 2 year. Now I'm worried what will happen after 2 years when I will probably have to downgrade! At least it's a chance to determine what features really are important once we buy.

Definitely get the D, even if it means getting a 60 instead of 75, or giving up other options. This was a requirement for me.

The upgraded seats were also requirement for me after sitting in them both. The cloth is OK, but I think the deeper buckets of the premium seats are worlds more comfortable. I also had an issue with the standard seats head rest hitting the back of my neck in a weird annoying way (I'm 6'2).

I ideally wanted the premium package, but the car I found doesn't have it. I don't really miss any of those features. I would like the trunk button, but not worth the price just for that. However, I could change my mind when the time comes... could be one of those "well if I'm spending THIS much, what's a little more" things!

I didn't care about the UHFS, but my car has it. It's not bad, but nothing compared to higher end components. If I was buying, I'd order without and build it myself.

I drove both suspensions down our super bumpy country roads and actually prefer the ride without air suspension, good choice there.

Agree, no need for the charger upgrade, especially if you're near a SC. At 240v/40a you'll easily be able to top off even a totally drained car overnight.

Good luck on your decision. Whatever you choose, you will love it!! We've only had the MS for 2 weeks and my wife and I both grin ear to ear every time we go for a drive.

Good luck on your decision. Whatever you choose, you will love it!! We've only had the MS for 2 weeks and my wife and I both grin ear to ear every time we go for a drive.

Thanks, I'm sure you guys do. And $600/month for 24 is an awesome deal! I am positioning myself to take delivery in 2017 because I can't use the tax credit this year. I already have carry-over from my solar project that I have to use this year or lose it. I'm looking at the Model S to be owned for 10years. I also have a Model 3 on reserve so we'll see what happens there.

Another vote for D, did you drive a D vs non-D? I test drove the 75D with no air suspension and I was pleased, but no reference to non-D.

Thanks, I'm sure you guys do. And $600/month for 24 is an awesome deal! I am positioning myself to take delivery in 2017 because I can't use the tax credit this year. I already have carry-over from my solar project that I have to use this year or lose it. I'm looking at the Model S to be owned for 10years. I also have a Model 3 on reserve so we'll see what happens there.

Another vote for D, did you drive a D vs non-D? I test drove the 75D with no air suspension and I was pleased, but no reference to non-D.

I did not drive the RWD model. I want to visit Tahoe in the winter, which meant D and 19's. But even if that wasn't the case, I would still choose D for the performance, range (slight, but pays back some of the 60 vs 75 decision), and handling, especially in wet weather.

You can see my cars in the signature. I have had the 90D only 300 miles but the only feature I really value in the 90D over the S85 is autopilot. The extra speed isn't that impressive. Have to get a PXXD for that. S60, S60D, and S85 are not that different. UHF, Pano, Air Suspension didn't impress me. I use the power lift gate all the time so I would get premium. I haven't sat in textile but many people love it.

Just another opinion though, FWIW.

• I got the cloth seats. They're comfortable enough for me and I disliked the concept of "sticking" to leather in previous cars.
  • I also did NOT get the D which for my original nose-style car gives me extra frunk space. I believe the non-D in the refreshed nose doesn't have that extra space, but I could be wrong.
  • I didn't get the premium package but I would have liked to have the auto trunk function. It just wasn't worth the extra cost.
  • Definitely get the pano. It not only makes you feel less claustrophobic but it gives you so much head room. I'm not too tall and my head still hits the roof before the pano starts.
If you haven't already, can you head to a showroom and see if they have different models that you can play around with? I didn't do that when I ordered mine and, if I had, I probably would have added one or two things. The problem I had seen with a few showrooms was they didn't have much variety but, if you go to someplace like Buena Park (which is basically like a traditional dealership), I would hope they had every option on the lot. Definitely call before you head down to confirm though!

Similar boat for me, but I'm in Chicago. Got a 60D. Cold weather package a must.
I like the pano, really enjoyable in spring and fall. Also useful going into the parking garage at my work because the automated transmitter won't work through the Tesla windshield.
No premium. I miss the rear tailgate lift but I'll be okay.
Got leather, that grey looks so nice and seats are comfy.
Kept the price down a bit, but realistically it's still an expensive car.

IMO you should've gotten in when they were having a end of quarter sale. There were many tesla all in your specs and range. But anyways what is done is done. Unless you have a time machine we should focus on going forward.

Here is my take:

1) unless you go for the 60kwh you will be hard press to get the out of the door price in the range you want. After tax credits and such maybe. But keep in mind the options adds up pretty quick.

2) if you are coming from awd car I suspect you will be missing the awd feature. Whether it is worth the 5K price tag that is your call. But IMO the D cars are more desirable. So you might recoup it back when you sell the car.

3) spot on your analysis of what your needs are.

4) I would skip the next gen seats if you want to save some money. But I would see how each feels and decide if it is worth the extra cash.

5) unless you have a major preference for the red, go with the black to save another grand.

6) also factor in the accessories and charging setup cost. Most people leave that out but you should include it. For me that came out to 3-4K extra.

Good luck and hopefully all the comments here are helping decide if tesla is right for you.

I have the 60 non D: Red, Pano Roof,Auto Pilot and that's it. Had a 3 on reserve but when 60 re-released I jumped on it. I pinch myself everyday I drive it...absolutely blows away every car I've ever driven and makes ICE vehicles seem old fashioned...driving among all the ICE vehicles I feel like George Jetson on a Flintstones episode(although in all fairness to the Flintstones...they did drive energy efficient vehicles).

• Red is awesome!!(unless you don't like red)...constant head turns and compliments...it just looks so sweet
  • To D or not to D. I've lived in Southern New England most of my life(we get blizzards and stuff but not as consistently harsh as farther North) and I'm one of those guys who never had 4WD or AWD(just a small FWD) and it's been fine(of course If it's too terrible I don't go out). As far as the performance on my non-D: it sticks to the road like glue and handles better then any car I've ever owned and it's still faster then most cars on the road.
  • Auto Pilot...heck ya!! Out of all options I would say this is the only absolute "must have"
  • Pano Roof...I like sunroofs so yeah...also one of those good "helps at resale time"
  • Stereo...I like the stock sound system but this is a case of personal preference...

As there is no such thing as a low performance, slow Tesla...a budget minded shopper could get the absolute base model (as long the range of the 60 suits their driving style) add Auto Pilot as the one option and have an amazing vehicle more advanced than 99% of cars on the road.

This is all great feedback and I am glad that this community is so great at participating and helping out.

I think I'm going to stick with red as my color, though my wife doesn't like as much as other reds. I've owned a silver car forever and i want a different color scheme, but I still really like the dark grey or even the metallic blue. $1000-1500 decision to customize this isn't going to break my bank and I'd prefer a color I like vs one I will live with.

As for D and non-D, I'm still on the fence but the deciding factor might be the resale, I'm someone who takes really good care of my vehicle and could drive it for years beyond a lease, so I don't know how much of that consideration should be weighed in.

Does any one with a D vs non-D experience feel that the car is under or over steering with each configuration. I know with my current FWD car it understeers slightly, and I owned a MB CLS that is Rear-wheel and I found it steered just right; my GL though an SUV is All-wheel and not driven like a sports car, but on occasion when I've had to do some evasive driving it has felt a bit on the understeer side and less responsive, but again it's an SUV so that's to be expected. I'm like 60% to 40% for the D vs non-D hearing some feedback. Actually after reading the spec comparison here Tesla Model S - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it looks like the 60 vs 60 D has a potential max output differential of 136hp. For $5000 more that's a pretty inexpensive way to add power. Please someone talk me into or out of it. :confused::D

My goal here isn't to build the lowest cost Model S but the most reasonably built value/options - but it is good to see that some owners on here provided feedback on their barebones 60's and are still happy with it. So knowing that I am capable and willing to build mine out with a bit more than the minimum I know I'm going to be elated.

TBH my daily driver is an 2001 Honda Accord that I've tuned and taken care of, but even with a 60 bare bones it's going to be a big step up. My other cars are for my wife and kids primarily as she doesn't drive manual.

I would go the cpo route with a classic 60 if cost is a significant factor. The new cars also have essentially zero space in the frunk.

Cost isn't a significant factor but options can always creep up. I really want the new body style and since this is my treat to myself I kind of want it new. I will be willing to get a CPO for a secondary vehicle. Actually am considering it for getting out of my MB GL550 once CPO X's are available.

I would go the cpo route with a classic 60 if cost is a significant factor. The new cars also have essentially zero space in the frunk.
Completely agree with the above. Don't have a long communte (<50 miles both ways) so the 60 fits me perfectly. was considering placing an order on a new 60 but kept stalking the CPO site for a while. Ended up on the phone with one of the sales reps who informed me of a CPO 60 that had just come in (not even up on the CPO site yet). He gave me a price of 43K, I consulted (more like negotiated) with my wife, and withing an hour placed the order. And with the remaining Powertrain warrenty and 4 year 50k bumper to bumper, no regrets here. Currently awaiting the delivery to my SC! :)

Reactions: davidc18