Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The recent price drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(moderator note)

Further discussion on the topic of tesla pricing, price drops etc can take place in the stickied thread that has been created for this discussion, which can be found here:

=======================================================

This is my response to the recent price drops with Tesla.

Tesla,

Let me begin by expressing my complete disappointment and utter astonishment at the recent actions of Tesla Motor Corporation and the recent aggressive price cuts of its automobiles. In late September I purchased a Model Y performance for $77,440 plus tax and license totaling some $85,400 and of course waiting 3 months for delivery. Just before the year end I learned of the new price cuts, tax credits and free supercharging not to mention the less than one week delivery. If that wasn’t shocking enough and now just a couple months later I find out my car is only worth $65,380, the price at which I can buy the same vehicle today. If I knew this was coming I would have simply waited 3 months and saved nearing $15,000. I can’t even take advantage of the tax credits, supercharging or price breaks and now can never sell my car without taking a huge loss. Thanks for the immediate depreciation of my vehicle!!

As a read through on-line posts and social media, I’m certainly not the only one who is outraged by this action. I believe Tesla Motor Company should provide a rebate at some level to its clients who purchased a vehicle say within 6 months of this recent news. At the very least, Tesla should provide the free Supercharging offer and free full self-driving capability as this would cost Tesla essentially nothing. This would not in any way make me whole but at least it’s something other than the gut punch Tesla and Elon Musk just served up. It must be comforting for a Billionaire to make these rash decisions while hard working loyal customers like myself who support him have to just sit here and take it.

I expect a qualified response to this e-mail and not some “canned” cut and paste reply. This situation represents real money and is a valid concern by one of Tesla’s valued customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you settle for a 1/43 die cast of a Model 3?

BBA3065F-5398-4213-85F6-3DA64CD80DCD.jpeg

I am feeling exactly the same. We took delivery of our model Y LR car in November. I was debating making the jump to an electric car as I was completely happy with the gas car I traded in except the ridiculous California gas prices -- so when notified we went ahead with the purchase. My first month with the car I felt I may have made a mistake as it didn't have many of the tech amenities that most cars have like apple carplay, Sirius XM, Homelink. However I quickly adapted, love the update-ability, comfort and find the car fun to drive. I am a Tesla EV advocate now concerning the build of my car and the joy of driving my car. I am enjoying it immensely except like you stated " it feels like a gut punch" regarding my car's value because of the rebates and price drops given to December and January buyers. My purchase has depreciated at least 10K in one month -- so, yes I agree -- it would be much more palatable to Tesla customers if the company realized how slighted 2023 model Tesla's buyers likely feel (September, October and November)and the remedy would be an easy fix -- notify 2023 model buyers they can have 2 years of charging and in my case we already paid for self driving and for yearly data streaming -- so yes, having free charging seems the least the company could do to ameliorate the extreme loss of value. In my opinion recognition of their customers feelings is the best way to assure brand loyalty and trust.

So what would you do for the people who purchased 6 months and 1 day before the price cut, who would be looking at the price the people paid who bought a day later? All you've done is move the day of regret -- great for you, but what about them?

If you wanna know my honest opinion, anyone who bought a 3/Y at a price higher than that offered in Q2 2019 probably overpaid.

But that doesn’t matter, Tesla was gracious enough to uphold pricing for orders placed on day one so long as the configuration was still being made even if the price difference was 5 figures plus.

If you wanna know my honest opinion, anyone who bought a 3/Y at a price higher than that offered in Q2 2019 probably overpaid.

But that doesn’t matter, Tesla was gracious enough to uphold pricing for orders placed on day one so long as the configuration was still being made even if the price difference was 5 figures plus.
So would you have written this letter offering to pay more if these would have been price increases?

"When
This is my response to the recent price drops with Tesla.

Tesla,

Let me begin by expressing my complete disappointment and utter astonishment at the recent actions of Tesla Motor Corporation and the recent aggressive price cuts of its automobiles. In late September I purchased a Model Y performance for $77,440 plus tax and license totaling some $85,400 and of course waiting 3 months for delivery. Just before the year end I learned of the new price cuts, tax credits and free supercharging not to mention the less than one week delivery. If that wasn’t shocking enough and now just a couple months later I find out my car is only worth $65,380, the price at which I can buy the same vehicle today. If I knew this was coming I would have simply waited 3 months and saved nearing $15,000. I can’t even take advantage of the tax credits, supercharging or price breaks and now can never sell my car without taking a huge loss. Thanks for the immediate depreciation of my vehicle!!

As a read through on-line posts and social media, I’m certainly not the only one who is outraged by this action. I believe Tesla Motor Company should provide a rebate at some level to its clients who purchased a vehicle say within 6 months of this recent news. At the very least, Tesla should provide the free Supercharging offer and free full self-driving capability as this would cost Tesla essentially nothing. This would not in any way make me whole but at least it’s something other than the gut punch Tesla and Elon Musk just served up. It must be comforting for a Billionaire to make these rash decisions while hard working loyal customers like myself who support him have to just sit here and take it.

I expect a qualified response to this e-mail and not some “canned” cut and paste reply. This situation represents real money and is a valid concern by one of Tesla’s valued customers.
If Telsa raised their price, would you write them a check?

"When

If Telsa raised their price, would you write them a check?
These are such dumb freaking questions, and they’re being asked by supposedly smart people even Elon. No, no one is paying more than they have to; it’s not the consumer’s job to set a fair price so it’s not their responsibility to fix a price that’s too low. More importantly this price reduction was ~20%! No one would ever pay 20% more than the Dec price for a model Y; that would put you in spitting distance of an X. So quit asking people if they would have paid more; it’s not a few hundred dollars it’s 5 figures.

For the life of me, I cannot understand how all the people saying "would you write a check when the price goes up?" can think that they are making any kind of a point. It's a useless statement that is nonsensical.
Seems you finally arrived at the point.

Of course it’s useless and nonsensical. It’s precisely as useless and nonsensical as feeling entitled to a retroactive discount.

Last edited:
These are such dumb freaking questions, and they’re being asked by supposedly smart people even Elon. No, no one is paying more than they have to; it’s not the consumer’s job to set a fair price so it’s not their responsibility to fix a price that’s too low. More importantly this price reduction was ~20%! No one would ever pay 20% more than the Dec price for a model Y; that would put you in spitting distance of an X. So quit asking people if they would have paid more; it’s not a few hundred dollars it’s 5 figures.

Noone is willing to pay more than they have to. It is the same as noone is forcing you to buy it in the first place. If Tesla used illegal tactics and forced you to buy their products, then report it. Otherwise, live with it. dumb question? kinda double stadard, is it?

You haven’t lost anything if you’re not planning to sell. You bought a car at a price you determined to be acceptable to you at the time you bought it.
This is just false. Many of those (including me) put a big down payment down on the car and did not get GAP. With the recent price drop, our vehicles' values have dropped tremendously. We are now driving a ticking time bomb that can be involved in an accident at any moment, totaled, and places us on the hook for paying the loan off.

So we actually did lose something.. our positive equity.

Dear Tesla,

I'm quite pissed that you didn't Osborne yourselves and crash your stock even further, possibly bankrupting the company. In the future please announce significant price decreases or product improvements way in advance to give us all a chance to stop buying your products until the announced decreases or improvements come to pass. Thank you.

Also, please give me a bunch of stuff for free that normally costs thousands of dollars. Otherwise, 5 or 10 years from now when you're selling tens of millions of cars per year, I might not buy a car from you. Yes, I am that pissed off. This is not an idle threat. I'm serious. I also plan to sue the state lottery because someone else won the jackpot and I didn't even though I paid just as much for the ticket as they did. This is clearly unfair and a shoddy business practice.

Kindest regards, etc, etc.

For some reason I'm reminded of this pool hall scene from My Cousin Vinny.

Status
Not open for further replies.