Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The REFERRAL PROGRAM - About to Expire - What's Next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I recall, the Tesla Referral Program is about to expire at the end of October, 2015.

What do you think is next? Will anything take its place?
I suspect that if the Referral Program has achieved it goals then Tesla may consider
an extension or a totally new program.

It appears that new orders placed now in the US are scheduled to be delivered at the end of December.
And your distance from Fremont, CA may extend that into 2016 based on the car's final destination.

So what are your thoughts?

Especially from those getting the referral and those who are just about to miss the referral discount?

I am going to place my order in late December for a late March delivery, so this interests me.

I think TM will extend the referral program.

Yes they might have experienced some issues in some states like VA but overall its not that bad.

Plus losing $2000 over $100K car is not big deal for Tesla.

Also owners like me have more time to convince my friends to buy Tesla:wink:

Refresh the S with features available on the X! I think there are a lot of potential S buyers who are on the fence, just waiting to hear when it will be upgraded with some of the new features available on the X. There are also lots of potential X buyers (and registration holders, like me) who would definitely consider switching to an S instead of waiting 6 months to a year for the X.

The new features would stimulate demand and sell a lot of cars without having to give away $1000 to $2000 per order. If a certain changeover date is mentioned, it could also stimulate sales of the current style if someone isn't interested in the new front end, etc.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more. I'm one of these peoplesitting on the fence waiting for the two (maybe three) most obvious features.

In my believe - it can't be that difficult to add them but I would like to getcertainty before ordering. This would even allow then to order in advance sothat number of units ordered in queue wouldn't go south.

But if Tesla does extend the program (I think they will), they will first let the current one expire or extend it at the nick of time to keep people motivated.
The program would make a lot of sense if it a large percentage of sales come from the program. Like around 20% or higher.

The main reason I think the program will be extended is giving Tesla an active promotion in USA states that ban Tesla stores. The fundamental goal is having a dozen Teslas in every city over 500k pop. in North America and Europe. That minimum critical mass creates word of mouth and informal test drive force that should lead to higher Tesla ownership and eventually enough angry voters at their local representatives claiming for the end of anti Tesla bans.

Last edited:
But if Tesla does extend the program (I think they will), they will first let the current one expire or extend it at the nick of time to keep people motivated.
The program would make a lot of sense if it a large percentage of sales come from the program. Like around 20% or higher.

I doubt it would be extended - but I could see it being reset (we all start at zero again), with new incentives so that we're all on a level playing field (no advantage anymore for those in VA and OH to get referrals because of the $2k).

I'd also expect that we'll see incentives that aren't so attractive to those only doing it to win a car,etc. Gigafactory invites, private tour of the factory, stuff like that. Incentives that mean something for the owners who were making their own brochures, going to EVents, talking to their neighbors & seling cars BEFORE this current program.

I doubt it would be extended - but I could see it being reset (we all start at zero again), with new incentives so that we're all on a level playing field (no advantage anymore for those in VA and OH to get referrals because of the $2k).

I'd also expect that we'll see incentives that aren't so attractive to those only doing it to win a car,etc. Gigafactory invites, private tour of the factory, stuff like that. Incentives that mean something for the owners who were making their own brochures, going to EVents, talking to their neighbors & seling cars BEFORE this current program.
Well put Bonnie. And if they do another, hopefully they will put stipulations and rules in to stop the shenanigans that were also present this time around.

Well, Tesla did reboot the program with some changes.
Purchaser's get US$ 1000 off.
Referrers get benefits and perks, but without a $$$ value attached to them.
Bonnie was right they would fix some issues, but the program was down for less than a week.

Bonnie wins the prescience award.

Well, Tesla did reboot the program with some changes.
Purchaser's get US$ 1000 off.
Referrers get benefits and perks, but without a $$$ value attached to them.
Bonnie was right they would fix some issues, but the program was down for less than a week.

The reboot of the referral program ends 12/31/15. Here are the incentives for this round:

• Top Referrers by Region - The owner that makes the most qualifying referrals in each of North America, Europe and Asia/Pacific will receive a Ludicrous P90D Model S and an exclusive VIP invitation for two to the Model 3 unveiling event, including travel and accommodations.
  • First to 10 by Region - The first to make 10 qualifying referrals in each of North America, Europe and Asia/Pacific will receive a Tesla Powerwall Home Battery, installation included.
  • 10+ Qualifying Referrals - Each owner that makes 10 or more qualifying referrals will receive an invitation for two to attend the Model 3 unveiling event.
  • 5+ Qualifying Referrals - Each owner that makes 5 or more qualifying referrals will receive an invitation for two to attend the Gigafactory opening event, including transportation to and from Reno, Nevada.

• 10+ Qualifying Referrals - Each owner that makes 10 or more qualifying referrals will receive an invitation for two to attend the Model 3 unveiling event.
  • 5+ Qualifying Referrals - Each owner that makes 5 or more qualifying referrals will receive an invitation for two to attend the Gigafactory opening event, including transportation to and from Reno, Nevada.

I wonder if they will eventually open up invites to the Gigafactory and Model 3 events to all X reservation holders like they did in September. If so, the latest perks really aren't that great.

I wonder if they will eventually open up invites to the Gigafactory and Model 3 events to all X reservation holders like they did in September. If so, the latest perks really aren't that great.

Historically, it's been Signature & Roadster owners that have the invites to the next launch. Roadster owners were invited to the S launch. Sig S & Roadster owners were invited to the X launch.

But given that the Model 3 marketing plan is to a much broader group, I hope they do something really creative here and make the Model 3 launch more inclusive of the target market.

But I still wanna go. (In case someone from Tesla Mktg says 'oh cool, cross Bonnie off the list'. Don't. Do. It. :) )

They could throw in Solar Panels as well. :smile:

Or choose a location for Super Chargers. :wink:

And throw in a few shares. :cool:

Oh and open it up to non owners. :biggrin:

Last edited: