Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Resource Angle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"It doesn’t require a market sage to deduce that Piedmont’s deal with Tesla leaked. Whoever was beneficially buying large licks of Piedmont last week will want to have an impregnable explanation at the ready. Clearing and settlement house Pershing alone executed 3.4 million Piedmont shares last Thursday, and you can bet it’ll be taking calls from the Australian Securities and Investments Commission."

Yeah, I found all those, but the last one just says that trading would resume two days ago, or after the press release. @Knightshade's article is behind a paywall, thanks to him and @JRP3 (I assume that's where his quote comes from) for finding it.

If the press release (it's now gone) was false or premature, like if the deal hadn't actually gone through yet and releasing the news was an accident, then it makes sense that the trading is still halted. If it was true, it seems to me that there are other entities beside the company itself that should be investigated. Now, if one or more of the entities in question were officers of the company, yes, trading should be halted. But if somehow the information leaked but not from the company, trading should have already resumed. It's still very muddy.

Another wrinkle: it seems to be generally accepted that the Battery Day slide showed a source of Lithium that looked a lot like it was Piedmont's deposit. Was this Tesla leaking? But most of what they talked about was the Nevada clay. Maybe Tesla backed out of the deal with Piedmont, or were stalling its completion?

(I'm fascinated by this one, and IRL am involved in a very big deal that seems to be unable to complete because bloody lawyers can't agree on the wording of wire transfer instructions, so I just want to understand... sigh.)

• Informative
Reactions: Boomer19
(I'm fascinated by this one, and IRL am involved in a very big deal that seems to be unable to complete because bloody lawyers can't agree on the wording of wire transfer instructions, so I just want to understand... sigh.)

At some point in every deal, the business people in charge need to tell their lawyers to wrap it up and get the deal done. If left entirely to lawyers, nothing would get done.

I have come across a link to the benchmark minerals presentation.

Feel free to PM me.

I did not get a reply from my pm to you. I would love to be a subscriber and get all of Benchmark Minerals research but not at $2500+ for it. I wonder if we could talk them into giving something like 25 of us access as a retail investors club at $100 each? As a club we could pool capitol to even possibly make some investments not normally available to the public market. Does anyone have any experience with these types of investment clubs and the logistics involved?

I just want to echo a post above which cautions investing in resource stocks. Sure, you can day trade the occasional stupid price dislocation like a 20% drop in ALB just due to Tesla battery day, but medium to long term investing in commodities is quite different than investing in technology growth stocks. You really should have a lot of knowledge about the industries and do continual research.

• Helpful
Reactions: Off Shore
I just want to echo a post above which cautions investing in resource stocks. Sure, you can day trade the occasional stupid price dislocation like a 20% drop in ALB just due to Tesla battery day, but medium to long term investing in commodities is quite different than investing in technology growth stocks. You really should have a lot of knowledge about the industries and do continual research.

indeed, commodities trading is not always supply and demand

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Does this tell us the earliest Tesla expects to send lithium to GF1 from their Nevada Lithium Clay deposits is ~Jan 2028.
I think it tells us more about the rate of production they expect (and still not much of that). The agreement is for (approximately) 1/3 of the Piedmont SP6 (IIRC) output, with an option for an unspecified amount more, and -- most significantly -- guarantees purchase for five years. This is so Piedmont will be secure in spending money on increasing output.

In short, Tesla needs to have lots of lithium available and cannot afford to have shortages as they scale up battery production. The Piedmont agreement is to support that. Their own lithium production is to support that. Without enough lithium to satisfy their needs the company would be at considerable risk. They are building out three factories right now and presumably have more planned within the next six or seven years. All of that capex is wasted if they cannot turn those factories into money printing machines due to an insufficiency of lithium.

I also expect to see an agreement for nickel purchasing. That got a lot of attention at the last earnings call. While nickel may not be rare Tesla needs to have guarantees of sufficient supply rate to feed their production.

Not sure if this has been posted here yet.
Been pretty busy drinking beer and waiting on A SpaceX launch.

Piedmont Lithium Signs Sales Agreement With Tesla
Yes, it's
a) already been posted and discussed days ago, and
b) PLL (Edit: not necessarily the company, but people involved) is under investigation for insider trading, trading is halted, and it's possible that the announcement is false, and
c) moderator said that the discussion should go in the resources thread.

Last edited:
I think a few people here bought $PLL anticipating a Tesla deal, no? If you did, congratulations, starts trading today:

View attachment 592964

Well, did buy LAC, sold too early, PLL harder to guess prior to when that trading halt was made. The announcement info

Piedmont to Supply Spodumene Concentrate to Tesla

Piedmont to Supply Spodumene Concentrate to Tesla
6:31 AM ET 9/28/20 | Dow Jones - By Dave Sebastian

Piedmont Lithium Ltd. said it has entered a five-year agreement with Tesla Inc. to supply spodumene concentrate, or SC6, from its North Carolina deposit.

The agreement represents about a third of Piedmont's planned SC6 annual production of 160,000 tons, as well as additional quantity based on Tesla's requests. The deliveries could start between July 2022 and July 2023, based on the development schedules of both parties, the companies said. <...>

This was my post on Aug 3rd:

There's rumors here in Western NC that local mining company Piedmont Lithium (PLL) is in talks with Tesla. That would make sense, I actually brought this up here over a year ago.

And there's an article about Tesla on a Piedmont Lithium-sponsored marketing site here Piedmont Lithium Limited (NASDAQ: PLL). Hmmm.

Company website is here Piedmont Lithium Limited (PLL)

Another take on this:

If this is true, I'd expect an announcement on Battery Day.

Full Disclosure: Bought a little bit of PLL, as Jack Rickard would say, "for fun".

Not an advice.

PLL stock price then was 6$.

Now:

621DEBAA-C007-4126-8960-F4781B95C10A.jpeg

You had your chance!

Yay!

Although doesn’t feel like much after that Novonix hit last week. lol

once again....should of bought more.

Yup... I sold mine on the bump, nice ~6x profit per share.... don't see it going a ton higher beyond the announcement bump in fact it's already down to ~32 (peaked just over 40), and maybe lower if there's still investigations on insider stuff going on...

So when it goes up another bunch because I sold mine you can thank me later :)