Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Resource Angle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lake still moving, up 15% at the moment. I almost wonder if it's because of confusion about a similarly named company announcing it's IPO

I saw that with another stock. The stock was a Canadian stock with a different ticker code in the US. The US company with that code would move whenever news would come out about the Canadian company.

MP showing strength after positive earnings. MP Materials Reports Third Quarter 2021 Results

I'm glad I jumped back in. That has been one of the hottest stocks this week.

Array (ARRY) has come back too. They had a bunch of lawyers trying to start a class action lawsuit for a few months that halved the stock price and kept it down. Since the deadline for the class formation passed the stock has been roaring back. Array makes the bases for commercial solar panels that track the sun.

A company in the same position as Array was is TMC (The Metals Company). To my eyes the class action suit looks even weaker than Array's, but there are lots of law firms trying to create a class. To form a class they need an investor who lost at least $50K on TMC. That's going to narrow the list a fair amount right there. The deadlines for most of the classes is the end of the year. I expect it will come back once the classes fail to form.

MP Materials having a good month, nice bump today on announcement of a new factory and supply agreement with GM

MP Materials having a good month, nice bump today on announcement of a new factory and supply agreement with GM

I'm glad I own some. I wish it was more. It's been a hard month for my portfolio because I haven't unloaded all the oil stocks yet.

How Bolivian lithium could help fight climate change
from The Economist

This isn't my area, so I'd welcome any thoughts on how accurate or inaccurate the article is. It covers a number of topics, but the key quote might be:

Benchmark does not expect large quantities of Bolivian lithium to hit markets until at least 2030, when DLE [direct lithium extraction] will be better developed.​

Reactions: petit_bateau
Right now the world is getting by with current sources. Bolivia is the world's Saudi Arabia for lithium, but bringing it all online now would crash the price and those who want to develop it could go bankrupt. The key for developing the Bolivian lithium is for demand to be high enough to support the massive supply coming on the market.

• Informative
Reactions: Buckminster
1639340436790.png

I have worked in the frontier area of Bolivia/Argentina/Brazil/Paraguay. Anybody putting significant capital into Bolivia is acutely conscious that political risk is even greater than project risk. As a result investors tend to move projects ahead in phases, ensuring that each expansion phase fully functions in all respects and is profitable with money flowing out of the country (not a detail to be taken for granted), and that nothing hijacks the whole thing. Only then do they proceed with the next step. That approach also tends to fit well with the other risks in Bolivia. As a result I would be suprised if the market were swamped by a dramatic surge in Bolivian output. You can of course be 100% certain that the normal global politics will intrude hugely onto the more local ones.

While there is plenty of lithium in the world, converting it into battery-grade chemicals is a long, expensive ordeal. With traders and corporate buyers riding momentum, prices are prone to big moves in both directions.

“It’s like being in a hot real-estate market,” said Jon Evans, CEO of Lithium Americas Corp., a startup working to produce lithium in Nevada that also co-owns a project in Argentina with a Chinese partner. “There’s a mad scramble.”

NHK is reporting on magnesium:

[...]​
But production in China slowed earlier this year on the back of a fuel shortage and Beijing’s decision to limit electricity supply in order to meet environmental goals. Many factories have been hit by blackouts.​
The situation is worrying industry groups in Europe and the United States. WV Metalle, a German metals trade association, fears magnesium stocks may run out by the end of the year. North American aluminum companies, including Alcoa and Matalco, have warned that production will be affected if the shortage lingers.​
[...]​

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
Magnis Energy down 26% after an odd off take agreement with Traxys:

Magnis Energy Technologies (ASX:MNS) announced today it has paid Traxys Europe SA, a commodities broker, to enter into a binding offtake agreement for the supply of natural graphite product from its Nachu Graphite Project in Tanzania. The project is not yet funded or built, and the agreement will take effect from 2024.

Traxys is a physical commodity trader with a record of several controversial dealings. It has previously been linked to investigations into forced labour by African mining interests and buying conflict minerals in South America. The company has denied any involvement by it or its partners.

Tesla will buy the majority of graphite output expected from the proposed expansion of capacity at the Syrah facility in Vidalia, with an option to purchase more.