Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Return of Rail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing as there are many locals on here, I wondered what you might think about this:

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_10139005?nclick_check=1

Peninsula cities planning suit to block bullet trains in South Bay

By Will Oremus
Bay Area News Group
Article Launched: 08/08/2008 08:18:31 AM PDT

Menlo Park and Atherton are among a coalition of plaintiffs expected to file a lawsuit today against plans for a $40 billion bullet train from Los Angeles to San Francisco.

The two Peninsula cities voted this week to join several environmental and rail groups* in fighting the project's environmental certification. They argue it understates the damage the rail line's construction would cause on the Peninsula and elsewhere.

The suit comes as voters statewide are beginning to consider a $10 billion start-up bond for the project on the November ballot. If Proposition 1 passes, construction on the 800-mile high-speed rail network could begin by 2011.

And

Yahoo! Groups

Published Wednesday, August 13, 2008, by the Menlo Park Almanac

Editorial

Can cities stop a juggernaut?

It was a no-brainer for the Menlo Park and Atherton city councils to
join a cost-free lawsuit challenging the route chosen for the high-
speed rail project that will be on this November's state ballot.
What local resident wants the impact of 220-mph-trains in his or
her backyard? [BATN notes: the HSRA has never proposed trains
anywhere near those speeds on the Peninsula.]

The two cities have made no secret of their strong opposition to the
project, which would require grade separations that would rip up
Menlo Park's downtown and create gigantic intrusions into several
Atherton neighborhoods. Menlo Park council member Kelly Fergusson
backed taking a strong stance for the city's interests, saying the
city has seen no indications that the high-speed rail authority has
even considered the concerns of Peninsula communities. "We've been
shown no respect," she said.

But whether either community or the ad hoc group formed by Menlo Park
residents can stop approval of the $9.95 billion bond issue is open
to question, given that recent polling test suggests the bond measure
will pass. Opponents say that result was a fluke, but given the
smooth green sales pitch for high-speed rail, which is playing
especially well among young Californians, we wonder if this
juggernaut can be stopped.

Joining the lawsuit by a group of nonprofits may not cost anything
for Menlo Park and Atherton, but it also won't remove the measure
from the November ballot. If successful, the suit's only impact would
be to force the state to conduct more extensive environmental studies
if voters approve the project on Nov. 4. Such studies could be a
nuisance, but if high-speed rail is approved statewide, we doubt
that additional environmental studies would knock it off the rails.

Even more problematic is the thinking in some Peninsula communities
that an Altamont Pass route, as advocated by the lawsuit, would
alleviate any impact from the high-speed trains. Possibly, but most
maps show that either route would provide San Jose-to-San Francisco
service, which would create the same impact as trains coming over
Pacheco Pass through Gilroy and San Jose. [BATN notes the Altamont
route would split near Fremont with branches to San Jose and San
Francisco. The SF branch would follow the Dumbarton Bridge rail
corridor skirting eastern Menlo Park and bypassing Atherton
to join the Caltrain line in Redwood City.]

There is no doubt that conversion of Caltrain's Peninsula rail
corridor to carry high-speed trains would create a tremendous
disruption of downtown and residential areas in Menlo Park and
Atherton, as well as many other cities up and down the line. The
grade separations required at Ravenswood, Oak Grove, Glenwood and
Encinal avenues in Menlo Park and, Watkins Avenue and Fair Oaks
Lane in Atherton would cut huge gashes in these areas.

Unfortunately, unless voters learn more about this costly project
and act responsibly in a year when the state is facing huge deficits,
the $9.95 billion start for the project could win acceptance based on
the popular green sales pitch that electric trains could lower the
state's carbon footprint. These are powerful arguments when airlines
are sinking under tremendous increases in fuel costs, and prices at
the gas pump exceed $4 a gallon.

Last week it appeared that legislation to update the high-speed rail
measure on the ballot was headed for the governor's desk, but it was
unclear if he would sign it, given his pledge not to sign any bills
until the Legislature passed a budget. Proponents of the rail plan
said Gov. Schwarzenegger would come through, since his own staff
helped with the revision of the old bond measure, which was written
in 2002.

But regardless of whether the rail bond measure is updated, it now
appears that opponents are fighting an uphill battle against a well-
financed group of high-speed rail advocates, who see thousands of
construction jobs, millions of dollars worth of increased business
and a lower carbon footprint from the project. Such a supportive
coalition could run over Menlo Park and Atherton opponents without
even blinking.

Many of the same concerns were raised in the UK when the HS1 project started - however afterwards a lot of people have commented on how well it has been integrated into the rural and urban landscape it passes through.

Last edited:
And if you support it, this: KCBS - High-Speed Rail May be Casualty of CA Budget Stalemate

High-Speed Rail May be Casualty of CA Budget Stalemate

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KCBS) -- California's proposed high-speed rail project could fall victim to the state's budget impasse.

At issue is the wording of Proposition 1, a $10 billion start-up bond initiative headed to voters in November that would build a high speed rail between L.A. and the Bay Area.

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger wanted some fine-tuning, better oversight, and protections on how the money would be spent. The California High-Speed Rail Authority fixed that, but now the governor says he'll veto everything that comes to his desk until there's a budget.

My in-laws live very close to the tracks in question. Some years ago they "upgraded" the tracks to support the so-called "baby bullet" trains which run much faster than the traditional trains. The end result was actually very positive. The continuously welded tracks needed to support the new trains make all the trains (they run both types) much more quiet now. With gas prices up so much, ridership on the trains has been on the rise lately.

I don't know much about the new high speed train proposal, but sometimes the "upgrades" end up being worth the pain.

I do hope this passes so that train finally can compete with planes on that stretch. I saw in the article there was lots of talk about all the grading they have to do, can't they simply dig underneath ? Tunnels are very efficient for high speed trains.

Cobos

Yes!!! I am very curious if the new rail will run a car ferry. It would be great to charge my car at home, drive to the San Jose train station and ferry the car to Los Angeles and still make it back home that night without plugging in. Day trips on one charge to L.A. (or Sacramento, or San Francisco...) and back would be fantastic. Maybe we could even recharge on the train...

I voted it for it too given I have relatives in LA and live at the other end.
A bad time for us to add so much bond debt, but in 30 years when the cost of gas and jet fuel makes such trips prohibitive it seems like it will be a good thing for future generations.

I also voted against the other measures that didn't pass. They had some good attributes but were too flawed to pass as written.

I am like TEG in that I also voted for the train, but against the other measures.

I was honestly surprised that 1A passed. I am of course worried about the cost. But I am cautiously optimistic that the benefits will outweigh the problems.

They claim that the first leg will be on line in just 6 years. I know that Menlo Park and Atherton have already sued to stop it. Does that mean that the first part will go through the relatively easy political landscape of building the rural "I-5" section first? I think that will be the most useful, it would be nice if that were done earlier.

So, I have seen reports in the media which claim sections of the new rail could come on line in as few as 6 years, but I have yet to see anyone detail which sections.

From dpeilow's linked business plan, almost every sentence talks about the system as a whole coming on line sometime around 2030. The closest I could find to explaining their plans to come on line earlier are from the Completion Risk section:

To mitigate this risk, the Authority has developed a phasing plan that promotes maximum utility throughout the construction period. Smaller segments in and around the Los Angeles basin and the San Francisco Bay Area will provide immediate benefit to improved local commuter rail service and not require an operating subsidy beyond what is currently provided to local entities, even if full system funding were to fail to materialize. Thereafter, segments linking the Central Valley with a major metropolitan area will provide an immediate benefit to communities underserved by current air or rail services. In many cases, such segments are projected to be “self supporting” over time and not require an ongoing operating subsidy.

Big projects like this frequently take longer than planned and tend to run over budget. I still voted for it knowing that could happen.

Yeah. I had the same feeling. I just figured that no matter what -- and despite all the baloney that will likely accompany the project -- we'll finally have a train. I felt the cost-benefit ratio weighed so far in favor of a train and it was a no brainer. On the cost side you have, well, just money, really, albeit a lot of it in a difficult economic environment. The benefits, by contrast, are off-the-charts: Bakersfield becomes a L.A. commuter city (and similar effects elsewhere), a last-minute weekend trip LA-SF becomes possible, tourism in California benefits, pollution from airplanes all these trips is reduced, etc.

LA's subway had many problems along these lines, but it's finally operational, popular among riders who can use it, and city planners are looking to extend it.