Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The reveal part 3 was a big disapointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Power seats and power side mirrors is locked behind the premium package that costs a cool $5000. Color me unimpressed. My mom's 2009 Honda Accord that she paid $28,000 for had those included. Should have been standard on the 3.

You are forgetting this is a $25K base car in CA (the only place it will be available for the foreseeable future). They can adjust to competition in the future. OK, so actually $49K-10K base in CA for the model anybody will want. But you can never compete against an ICE car without taking a lot more into account anyway.

To those comparing the price of a 3 to the price of an ICE:

You're doing it wrong.

First, fuel and cost of operation is *significantly* lower on the 3 vs. other cars. You have to account for that.
Second. Virtually every gas car even remotely in this price range drives like garbage once you've driven electric. If you haven't tried it yet, just wait and see. You'll get it once you drive it.

I need a car that can drive in winter - with snow and ice on roads.
So Long Range only and options are tied together.

So: $50.000 for a car with heated mirrors (needs $1k paint because standard black is impossible to keep clean) with enough battery to keep driving in the cold climate...

And I want AP. $55.000. Not cheap at all :(

I wonder how much will AWD add to this...

Reactions: N5329K
Shipping details available now under this link Tesla SSO - Login (requires login)

First Production
310 mile range with Rear Wheel Drive
$49,000
Dec 2017 - Feb 2018

Standard Battery
220 mile range with Rear Wheel Drive
$35,000
Feb - Apr 2018

Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
Choice of 220 or 310 mile range
Oct - Dec 2018

As you can see by price the first production units only available with long range battery ($9000) AND premium package ($5000)...

We have known for a while that this kind of release was coming, so why the surprise or "disappointment" ?
None of the release should have been a surprise - and all of the flights of fancy along with all of the unrealistic expectations (HUD anyone?)
I'm amazed that some seem to expect some combination of 75KW, AWD, enhanced AP, Leather etc for 42K
Time for everyone to wake up to reality - which is, you can't rapidly ramp up to these kind of numbers and customize a car like they do with Model S & X

Nope, just $3100 for a 3-series.

What?

6e7j8accSCmrHeoM9Mk63Q.jpeg

It's $995 on a $33,450 car. Standard on the Audi A4 at $36,000.

• Informative
Reactions: AZ-3 and anonim1979
I should feel lucky. My shipping estimate is the same whatever I choose:
Late 2018
Wait a minute...I really am a little disappointed. I thought I might at least get it late in the first half of 2018.

About the options though, I think a can relax. Will get the black base colour and get it wrapped in a custom colour of my choice, get the premium upgrade package, and that's it. I don't give a toss about AP or FSD so can forego those useless and overpriced options, and don't need 19 inch wheels either. Only have to chose whether I take the big battery with RWD or the D. Will depend on final pricing in Euro.

Entry Level Model S

2013 .................................................... Today

Price*...........................................$69,500 ................................................ $69,500

EPA Range ..................................218 miles ..............................................249 miles
0-60 mph* ...................................5.5 seconds ..........................................4.3 seconds
Smart Air Suspension ............... option ($thousands) ............................ Included

Power Liftgate .............................option package items ......................... Included
Ambient Interior Lighting ........... part of a total package**
Nav w/real time traffic ............... cost ~$4.5K
HomeLink

Center Console ............................option ~$1K ........................................ Included

Active Safety Tech
-Collision Avoidance ........................all............................................................all
-Auto. Emergency Braking ..........unavailable........................................... Included
-other a.s.t.

Side Mirrors
-Power folding .................................all ..........................................................all
-auto dimming ........................... unavailable ........................................... Included
-heated

LED turning lights ..................... available (?) ......................................... Included

LED Fog Lights ......................... option.................................................... Included

Here's my point, limits to my TMC chart-making skills notwithstanding,

I was hoping for more range on the base model myself, but, I don't see Tesla's strategy as trying to game the public by offering as little as possible for as much as possible. Consider all the value added to the entry Model S over the past 4 years was without ANY competing long range EVs reaching the market in the Model S' class to date. That is, Tesla enhanced value by adding many many features, battery size, and improving performance for the same price, not because the market place required them to, but because with the passage of time, Tesla was able to add more capability to the Model S for less cost.

Similarly, in time, with the GF and Fremont reaching volume production (which means markedly lower costs for Tesla to produce the Model 3), it is all but certain that Tesla will offer more value because they will be able to. Producing an affordable EV that is compelling to as much of the market as possible is an ongoing process, and the tax incentives are there to help accelerate the process (yes, I realize not everyone qualifies for them, they are not perfect).

As I said, I was hoping myself for something like 240 miles of range for $35K, so I "feel that pain" some myself. If these specs are a deal breaker for anyone, that's their own call. Maybe you buy another car, or maybe you wait to see what kind of value Tesla will offer you in a couple of years. That said, I strongly sense that this is simply about the path to producing compelling mass market EVs being challenging, rather than Tesla trying to offer as little as possible for as much as possible.

* a few of these numbers on the 2013 Model S 60 are based off memory and may be slightly off.

** I'm not sure if all the parts of the original total package are now all included in the base vehicle.

Last edited:
Model 3 Long range is definitely not disappointing. Lots of miles for the money.
View attachment 238536
While its great to see the model 3 on the top of this chart what is the real meaning of this stat ($/mile range)???
Has anyone every created a $/range for ICE cars? or more likely a $/0-60mph or $/quarter mile comparison?

In my opinion it is $/whatever is a meaningless stat because the total value of the car is more than the range (or 0-60 or quarter mile)...