Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Rise of Self-Driving Trucks

NigelM

Recovering Member
Apr 3, 2011
Northern Virginia
[9:50] "Even the most advanced technology still struggles with bad weather...."

If they don't overcome that problem then the geographical range is going to be limited; we had great weather yesterday till a heavy rain storm appeared out of nowhere (even my X indicated that "blindspot detection was unavailable") so would a driverless vehicle just stop? Gotta fix some basic issues if driverless vehicles are ever to become a reality.

Brando

Sep 27, 2016
Bainbridge Island, WA
Investors/owners won't allow truck drivers to make liveable wage. Workers are not allowed to share in profits or increases in productivity.
Last 30 years has proven this to be true.

golfpilot

Oct 14, 2016
Modesto, CA
Seems like every time I pass a truck it finds its way into my lane at one point or another during the pass. Some autosteer automation is much needed.

Brando

Sep 27, 2016
Bainbridge Island, WA
[9:50] "Even the most advanced technology still struggles with bad weather...."

... we had great weather yesterday till a heavy rain storm appeared out of nowhere (even my X indicated that "blindspot detection was unavailable") so would a driverless vehicle just stop? ...

Stopping would be the reasonable thing to do (safely, of course).

About 1.25 million people per year killed in auto accidents - every 30 seconds or so.
Some no doubt do to "unreasonable" driving and/or unreasonable conditions.

NigelM

Recovering Member
Apr 3, 2011
Northern Virginia
Stopping would be the reasonable thing to do (safely, of course).

Where and how are critical questions. In my example case i was on a 2 lane windy road so there would be no where for a driverless vehicle to pull over; equally if a driverless truck was on the freeway and suddenly hit heavy rain like that so that blindspot detection was unavailable how could the vehicle pull over safely? You certainly wouldn't want it to stop in a driving lane.

IMO, FSD cannot currently deal with all the real world weather variables in a safe manner.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando

Brando

Sep 27, 2016
Bainbridge Island, WA
As Elon calls them - 2 ton death machines - zero deaths? nothing perfect, is it?
Save 500,000 lives each year? only kill 750,000 ?

Well you can do your own calculations. expecting FSD to have ZERO risk ??
- even Boeing can't seem to make an updated 737 MAX two down and what ~300 dead?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC