Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Rise of Self-Driving Trucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[9:50] "Even the most advanced technology still struggles with bad weather...."

If they don't overcome that problem then the geographical range is going to be limited; we had great weather yesterday till a heavy rain storm appeared out of nowhere (even my X indicated that "blindspot detection was unavailable") so would a driverless vehicle just stop? Gotta fix some basic issues if driverless vehicles are ever to become a reality.

[9:50] "Even the most advanced technology still struggles with bad weather...."

... we had great weather yesterday till a heavy rain storm appeared out of nowhere (even my X indicated that "blindspot detection was unavailable") so would a driverless vehicle just stop? ...

Stopping would be the reasonable thing to do (safely, of course).

About 1.25 million people per year killed in auto accidents - every 30 seconds or so.
Some no doubt do to "unreasonable" driving and/or unreasonable conditions.

Stopping would be the reasonable thing to do (safely, of course).

Where and how are critical questions. In my example case i was on a 2 lane windy road so there would be no where for a driverless vehicle to pull over; equally if a driverless truck was on the freeway and suddenly hit heavy rain like that so that blindspot detection was unavailable how could the vehicle pull over safely? You certainly wouldn't want it to stop in a driving lane.

IMO, FSD cannot currently deal with all the real world weather variables in a safe manner.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
As Elon calls them - 2 ton death machines - zero deaths? nothing perfect, is it?
Save 500,000 lives each year? only kill 750,000 ?

Well you can do your own calculations. expecting FSD to have ZERO risk ??
- even Boeing can't seem to make an updated 737 MAX two down and what ~300 dead?