TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The Riverhouse in Bend OR is installing 4 HPWCs!

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Lyon, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

My dad and I stayed there with our Models S a few months ago and had a great conversation with the guy who handles the day-to-day physical maintenance. During that visit he ran some extension cords for us to trickle charge over night but we didn't get enough charge to get home on that and ended up having to do some scrounging. We encouraged him to get in touch with Tesla and it would appear as though he listened. More interesting is that Tesla appears to have provided the hotel with the units! This is, quite frankly, just as important, IMHO, as the Supercharger network. Tesla needs to start giving HPWCs to hotels in places like Bend where they're not likely to install Superchargers but where folks with Teslas are likely to go! Now, I have no proof that this is how it actually went down but I like to think we had a small part in it.

One of the points we made the guy at The Riverhouse was that the hotel in the area that puts in charging is the one the Model S owner (person who can afford a nice hotel) is going to stay. There are nicer hotels in Bend but I'll be staying at the Riverhouse in the near future simply because they have charging available

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

3. Lyon

That's just fantastic! Thanks for sharing that, I'll make sure to tell business owners!

4. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Lately we've seen a number of hotels putting in chargers - 14-50s, j1772s, HPWCs. I believe we are close to a tipping point where charging will just become another standard hotel amenity.

5. Lyon

That would be awesome.

6. BobtheV

BobtheV Member

If only the Brasada Ranch would install some HPWC's

7. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

call them up. ask them about chargers. when they say no, let them know that you'll be staying at the River House. Nothing gets their attention more than an actual loss of a customer. Be ready to help them understand how to install one. If they get enough requests and see other hotels like the River House taking business away they will have to do it to compete.

8. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

A simple call usually does the trick. My small hometown in Minnesota has zero places to charge. When I drive back in my X (hey, it will happen!), I don't want to drive 30 miles to a supercharger, I want to plug in at my hotel. So I called the hotel where I like to stay, got the manager on the line, and simply asked him. They're now working with Tesla's destination program & charging will be in place with plenty of time to spare.

They're excited to be the first hotel in the area providing charging to guests, know about Plugshare and other apps that will direct people to their location, & plan to have the local newspaper write a small blurb on it. It's all good.

The point here is don't wait for someone else to think about putting in charging. If YOU want charging someplace, it's likely the business will be open to it. Make the call, find out. That's a great first step. Much better than Tesla or Chargepoint or some other business making the call ... then everyone is suspicious about what they're up to. You want charging. Ask for it. :)

9. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Well said, Bonnie.

Though, I did get a no from the Hotel we stayed at in Jacksonville, OR. We had to stay there because my in-laws had reserved it for all the relatives (took the entire hotel). Still, they were open to hearing about it so it wasn't a total loss.

10. memcd

memcd Member

11. mattkc1

mattkc1 Member

They are active and work great ... called them yesterday, and spoke to head of Engineering. He arranged for me to come charge for 4 hours this afternoon (not a hotel guest) ... just call or go to front desk and ask to speak to Engineering about it. They currently do not leave them "on" 24 / 7 and need to flip a switch to activate. They are currently not charging for this even for non guests. YMMV.

12. roblab

roblab Active Member

I tried several places in Burns, Oregon (between Bend and Boise, ID) and kept getting, "We're not interested". So I wrote to the local newspaper editor, with, "Do you think there's a story here?" with someone offering to put in and pay for a charger and installation and no one wants to be bothered. I had talked to managers who thought it was a great idea, etc., but when they contacted the owners, it was, "Meh.""

The newspaper editor jumped on it. We have now had several more meetings, many businesses want to be involved, and things look like they will move forward.

I was not trying to pressure anyone, just asking the question, "You want to promote your town and advance tourism, and here's are families with a couple-three hours on hand that want to spend time and money at your business, but no one is interested?"

13. Odenator

Odenator P2607

I was in Bend last weekend and the front desk charged me $8 to plug my car in because I was not a guest. So yeah, YMMV.

14. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't expect any hotel to let me charge for free if I wasn't staying there.

15. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

If they were smart, they'd charge you for the charge and then give you a coupon for that amount if you eventually do stay there. Softens the blow and gets the idea of staying there in your head.