Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The road trip thread....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gangzoom

May 22, 2014
Uk
I wonder if we should have a road trip thread on here, as given the news items that's are constantly on all the time a bit of Escapsim is always good :)

I know a few people on here regularly go on long trips to Europe, would be good to share tips and give ideas/help to others.

I'll start:
Where UK -> Oslo -> Atlantic Ocean road -> UK
Distance 3000 miles+
Car 2017 75D X
When July 2022
Highlights awaited........

51947133633_59242c1167_c_d.jpg

I've driven to the Alps, skiing, a few times. On way out (with loss of 1 hour time change) we tend to overnight, that gets me a 10% - 100% charge whilst I'm sleeping. On the way back we choose a lunch stop, similarly 10% - 95%-ish for the 50-60 minutes stop.

Other than that a 20 minute stop every couple of hours. In practice superchargers are not perfectly spaced for 2h30m ideal 10%-80% charge & 130KPH drive, so tends to average nearer 1h30m segments (probably same overall charging time, but an extra stop compared to optimal)

Compared to ICE, where we just swapped drivers every 2 hours and pressed on, we used to arrive knackered, and now arrive refreshed from the 20-minute leg-stretch every couple of hours.

We travel Flexi on the tunnel, and charge at the Flexi lounge (i.e. post customs) on return (Folkestone only has charger pre-customs, so harder to decide exact depart time). I've had to wait at Maidstone Supercharger in the past, presumably everyone else that came off the Chunnel, so now I charge at Flexi sufficient to get either home or a more distant UK Supercharger location. Depends a bit if trains are down to hourly whether I'll choose to charge-more and miss-one.

AlpsTrip.gif

AlpsSOC.gif

AlpsStats.gif

Reactions: Smileysam