Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Roadster Meets the Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
If you blinked you might have missed a gathering this weekend that will be mentioned in a History of Electric Cars.

Saturday there was a PIA fundraiser at Chris Paine's house. The gatherers were visibly emotional when Chris stood on his roof and spoke about his film "Who Killed the Electric Car" and how it documented the actions of GM taking away customer's EV1s and crushing them.
Now, here on his patio is GM's one and only prototype of it’s new Chevy Volt straight from its debut in Detroit (via Alt Car expo). The feelings of pride, excitement and grassroots accomplishment were expressed with words from some of the stars of the film and a few of those behind the scenes folk that make things happen. They spoke with humor ("Here we are on a roof -a long way from the back of a truck"), passion and joy tinged with a touch of vindication.
GM's fig leaf moment was all filmed for the next movie tentatively titled "Revenge of the Electric Car”.

Tesla brought a Roadster and put it in front of the Volt. The two seemed to eye each other over like curious newborn animals. Like children, there was no apprehension, animosity or fear because as different as they are, both of them carry genes from the EV1 and neither really needed to blink.

Last edited:
2899036768_a8b5151a2f_b.jpg

So much for Chris Paine being the "anti-GM". Even after WKtEC, GM sends the Volt prototype along as a major olive branch.

It will be interesting to see what Chris' next movie says about GM now.

So much for Chris Paine being the "anti-GM". Even after WKtEC, GM sends the Volt prototype along as a major olive branch.

It will be interesting to see what Chris' next movie says about GM now.

"Life is about Compromise"

Yesterdays enemies, are todays friends. I think there should be some partnerships established towards China, they are a "sleeping giant" that will play a factor. Martin just mentioned BYD (which bought a Chinese auto company) on his blog. I was recently in China, & there were electric bikes & scooters EVERYWHERE. You don't see that here in US (guess why?). China is already embracing electric (leaving US behind), & moving forward. Chinese are very pragmatic, & don't fool around.

I always felt that the "extremists" (EV'ers, who advocated the leap from gas-guzzlers to EV) were trying to go too fast. I remember Martin taking a cut at hybrids, saying that EV is here..why not take the leap? However, things don't happen overnight (especially public perception & acceptance), there is a progressive development curve. Generally, there needs a "bridge" technology like hybrids. The bottleneck for EV is the range & battery weight.

There needs to be time to develop battery Technology: increase Range/Weight ratio. The hybrids will give EV the a time cushion to work with.

The above being said, I'm an extremist & like to move fast (leaps, verses steps). I don't like hybrids myself (like Martin), I declared my gas guzzling 4x4 van non-operational until June 2009. I swear, I don't think I will EVER put gasoline in a personal car..EVER.

Caltech put Dr. Steven Koonin as a "plant" at BP (British Petroleum) as Chief Scientist (I think), as part of a progressive plan to invoke a paradigm shift in the Oil Industry. Once BP shifts, everyone else will follow ("sheep syndrome"). I think an aspect of Martin's plan/portfolio (based on his brand-name recognition as Tesla creator & founder) should include something similar to Koonin's outreach to Auto companies. I hear he's friends with Bob Lutz/GM.

The current crisis in US Economy is actually a "blessing in disguise".

"Not only do you have to demonstrate a Solution [ EV, et al for the hot Alternative Energy sector, a real economic opportunity ], but THEY HAVE TO WANT IT at that time"
-- H. Nakajima, Champcar journalist
[ were talking about my multimedia Technology Initiative, to help Champcar PR/Marketing ]

Here's a perfect-timing situation, to get Washington DC to get mobilized for Alternative Energy:

1) develop an organized Infrastructure to boost Alternative Energy
start an NCEA/Nat'l Center for Energy Applications (parallel to the NCSA/Nat'l Cetner for Supercomputing Appications). NCSA was approved, using an argument that played into Washington DC's "playing not to Lose" modus-operanda.

The above is what Judy Estrin refers to as "Innovation Ecosystem", as part of her recent book (alarmist message about deteriorating R&D Infrastructure in US):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/judy-estrin/innovation-crucial-to-our_b_123556.html

Also, a joint Industry/Govt Collaborative/Cooperative program. Similar to the Japanese plan for their Auto Industry, & the Germans do for their Industry (in general, not just Automotive) via Fraunhofer Inst.

2) incentives for Business & Consumers
incentives for startups in Alternative Energy, & consumers to adopt buy Green Tech solutions.

3) Educational Program
the deteriorating Educational Program in US is an embarassment & disaster. Need to address SET (Science/Engineering/Technology), especially PR/Outreach.

"Inspiration, before Eduation/Outreach"

http://www.kyte.tv/ch/130271-pats2008

A couple of U. of Arizona alumni (geologist & astronomer, adjunct professor @Steward Observatory), have told me bluntly

"We're [ American public ] in the Dark Ages"

I am not surprised Education is taking a back seat, & US is not able to compete in SET ("the world is passing us by")

"Success in the Mission, depends not on Luck..but FORETHOUGHT [ good plan, involving Govt/Industrial collaboration ]"
-- Wo Fat, Hawaii Five-O episode
[ classic 60's cop-show, Steve McGarrett/Five-O vs Bad Guys: battle involving Wits, Brawn, etc ]

In short, US needs to get their SH*T together..OR ELSE.

Martin & his Tesla vision was the "straw that stirs the Drink [ Auto Industry ]". It was the spark, that lit the fire underneath the status-quo ("hanging around for a paycheck", the GM dinosaurs).

Getting back to the reply about "GM hater being woo'ed by GM". GM move might be a signal of compromise, trying to work towards a future plan. Looks like they have no choice, their backs are against the wall & the future is EV. They might be a cooperative/collaborative partner in the above Grand Plan.

Last edited: