Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Roadster shoukd go faster wiith a 5% lighter wallet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
In case you missed it....

Reserve Your 2008 Tesla Roadster Now

Effective Friday, June 15, Tesla Motors is increasing the base price of the Tesla Roadster from $92,000 to $98,000. We encourage you to submit your reservation on or before Friday, June 15, to secure your Tesla Roadster at the $92,000 price.

I'm going to start couting the pennies in my jar. If I'm still counting on the 15th, maybe I will have enough for the floor mats.

Maybe it has something to do with Porsche raising their prices. Martin once said he based the price on a Porsche, I forgot the model. More likely, though, the dollar is really weak these days and considering that most of the major parts come from overseas, this really isn't a surprise.

With a solid moth of warning, it sounds fair. Tesla's plan is to keep prices low and I see no reason to question that. With capitalisms good old supply and demand, they could probably charge double.

Announcing a price increase is a common practice.  It mitigates consumer annoyance by not taking them by surprise.  It also helps nudge those who are on the fence about a purchase to go ahead and take the plunge since there will be an added cost to waiting.

Doug wrote:

Maybe it has something to do with Porsche raising their prices. Martin once said he based the price on a Porsche, I forgot the model. More likely, though, the dollar is really weak these days and considering that most of the major parts come from overseas, this really isn't a surprise.

I'm always fascinated to find out the small numbers of cars companies like Ferrari actually sell in the US. (Perhaps it's because I live in an area where they are always buzzing around like so many roaring gnats) Even the Porsche numbers are rather small.
http://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpor...quarter1/?pool=international-de&id=2007-01-03

Low volume exotic cars like these sure do make a lot of noise in the great auto gestalt. Tesla is poised to do the same (albeit silently) and seem to have similar sales goals in the near future.