Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Rolling Naked Tesla Short

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'm wondering if i really need to pursue this any further? by now pretty much everyone should understand what's going on.

Do you mind to keep posting these trades until after the earnings announcement? As we assume it's a short seller, it would be good to know when this seller finally "gives up".

We have very few other indication on how much short covering activity is currently driving the stock, seeing that Nasdaq only publishes open short interest every 2 weeks :(.

Do you mind to keep posting these trades until after the earnings announcement? As we assume it's a short seller, it would be good to know when this seller finally "gives up".

We have very few other indication on how much short covering activity is currently driving the stock, seeing that Nasdaq only publishes open short interest every 2 weeks :(.

This is not the right request if you want to get real time on short interest. The "three stooges" trade won't tell you much about short interest. What will give you information on that are the borrowing rates and the anecdotal "shares available for shorting" information luvb2b (God bless him) posts in this thread.

right so it is probably a short seller, as he gets the most economic benefit, but it doesn't have to be a short. it could be a big investment house that can loan the shares out to their customers doing the trade.

the way the stooges theory works, the larry & moe characters could be shorts, big brokerage firms who can monetize the shares they get to lend, or even a stat-arb type hedge funds.

today is tuesday, so you should be seeing a bunch of activity again. especially with the move the stock has had, wow! a lot of strikes became deep in the money and with the lending rate over 50% larry & moe will get paid well to keep screwing shemp.

the stooges have gone absolutely wild today. check out the insane volume in the june $40 call, among others. huge volume in deep in the money may strikes. huge volume in deep in the money june strikes.
my guess is they are going to do about 45,000-50,000 contracts again today.

the stooges have gone absolutely wild today. check out the insane volume in the june $40 call, among others. huge volume in deep in the money may strikes. huge volume in deep in the money june strikes.
my guess is they are going to do about 45,000-50,000 contracts again today.

Last week of their play before earnings report- where they may be betting their play will have to change (or not) in some way so they're doubling up this week... perhaps

I know earlier there was a question about whether there were other stocks that behave this way.

I found the following - maybe it's worth seeing if this is also a Tuesday effect on them (I don't know of a way to look up historic open interest):

High Call Volume vs. Low Open InterestOptionCast | OptionCast

Here are the top 10 in case the site changes daily:

TickerCompany NameExpiryCall StrikeOpen InterestVolume
QQQ PowerShares QQQ 13Jun 7136404114333
TSLA Tesla Motors Inc. 13Jun 40635223275
PCS METROPCS COMM INC 13Nov 14720422
QQQ PowerShares QQQ 13Jun 75334515123
EFA iShares MSCI EAFE Index 13Dec 7118015000
MBI M B I A INC 13Jun 1152212155
PSX Phillips 66 13May 67.5181810262
VIX CBOE VOLATILITY INDEX#index 13Oct 2417210250
YHOO YAHOO INC 15Jan 30250610189
UA UNDER ARMOUR INC 13Jun 6019310050

Take a look at the Open Interest for various Jan 2014 strikes - I've never seen anything like this:

Screen shot 2013-04-30 at 9.47.34 PM.png

For instance, the $35 Calls have an OI of 2,183, but the $34 and $36 Calls have an OI of zero. The $49 Calls jumped $2.34 in value, but the $50 Calls declined 9 cents.

I don't know what to make of this. Clearly some kind of programmed trading at specific strikes. Any got a good explanation?

I bought a bunch of the Jan 40's when they were $3.00 about a month ago. Then I bought $45's and 50's and 55's as the stock kept running. The leverage is insane. I keep adding them to my IRA account as a long time play but the gains have been immediate.

For instance, the $35 Calls have an OI of 2,183, but the $34 and $36 Calls have an OI of zero. The $49 Calls jumped $2.34 in value, but the $50 Calls declined 9 cents.

I don't know what to make of this. Clearly some kind of programmed trading at specific strikes. Any got a good explanation?

$35, $40 calls were available since Nov. 2011 or so. The intermediary strikes are newer, as the share price increased in this territory and we are approaching expiration, so more liquidity is needed.

Those price variations are compared to the last trade. There may have been no trade yesterday in $49 calls, therefore the price jumped compared to last week or earlier, there's nothing fishy here.

usually in the longer dated options people doing large positions will do multiples of 5. that's because there tends be a bit more liquidity in those strikes as more people trade those 10's and 5's strikes. not surprising at all and i would even say somewhat common.

They are saving pennies on this trickery and losing dollars on the market moving against their short positions.

The persistence of this activity reduces the likelyhood of the "stooges" explanation being the right one, since many shorts are probably covering (with new shorters taking positions). However, in the absence of an alternative explanation this still looks like the best hypothesis.

They're back indeed today, May 39 to 45, Jun 32 to 41, Sep 34 to 38, with every strike in between. 33'611 contracts so far.

and all those as big blocks on the phlx right? that would be the stooges for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

They are saving pennies on this trickery and losing dollars on the market moving against their short positions.

The persistence of this activity reduces the likelyhood of the "stooges" explanation being the right one, since many shorts are probably covering (with new shorters taking positions). However, in the absence of an alternative explanation this still looks like the best hypothesis.

it could also be a market maker or prop trading desk that can earn the full rebate for lending out the shares.