Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Rolling Naked Tesla Short

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reluctantly agree. I hope the "tsunami" of pain Elon promised shorts is coming in May.

Based on luvb2b's figures on shorting costs, it seems that many shorts have covered now. Obviously most have covered with substantial losses (double-digit percentages). The holdouts are mostly way out of the money. The winners: Longs who have taken profits at the 40-45 levels.

I don't know if this counts as a "tsunami", but the shorts are certainly already in pain.

i'm trying to figure out where he is rolling out of his short from last week. according to the trades i noted tuesday last week, he did 2 million shares this way.

now today in the options he did at least 1.5+ million shares more. once those calls are exercised he'll be short 1.5+ million shares.

but now the question remains, what will happen to those 2 million short shares from last week? did he locate, borrow, and deliver those shares? in that case that's not a naked short.
if he didn't deliver the shares, then he should have to buy them back in. there hasn't been enough volume today to accomplish that. not even close. it wouldn't make sense to have been buying them in yesterday and then sell them today at a lower price.

the only other thing i can think is maybe the rogue trader bought some calls to open and sold some other deep in the money calls to open. if the trader exercises the buy-to-open side to cover his short and the sell-to-open side is exercised by the market maker to create a new short, then the trader wouldn't have to cover in the open market. however in that case you'd have very little market impact because the market maker would be doing 2 sides of a spread.

so wtf is going on around here.

words escape me now. i haven't seen anything quite like this before. the volumes in the deep in the money calls expanded again at the end of the day. the pattern was a little bit different in that the prints when posted were on the ask side of the spread. i don't know if they were executed on the bid and then posted late, or something else. for the first time i'm seeing odd sized prints - how about that 666 print in the jun 33 calls?

size is just breathtaking. volume of deep in the money calls traded on the philly represent 2.22 million shares, nearly 50% above tesla's day volume of 1.7 million.

apr 33 calls qty 752: [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] - times 10:15, 11:29, 3:47 et oi 76
apr 34 calls qty 752: [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] - times 10:15, 11:29 et oi 76
apr 35 calls qty 1258: [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] - times 10:15, 11:29-11:30, 2:48 et oi 154
apr 36 calls qty 986: [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] - times 10:16, 11:30, 2:48 et oi 112
apr 37 calls qty 2100: [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] - times 10:17, 11:31 et oi 341
may 33 calls qty 964: [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] - times 10:17, 11:34, 2:50 et est oi 117
may 35 calls qty 3300: [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] - times 10:17, 11:35 et oi 529
jun 25 calls qty 6596: [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] - times 10:18, 11:35-11:36, 2:50 et oi 540
jun 32 calls qty 2782: [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] - times 10:18, 11:39, 2:52 et oi 341
jun 33 calls qty 2766: [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected] - times 10:19, 11:39, 2:52 et oi 333

total volume is 22,256 contracts, representing over 2.2 million shares.

FWIW, TSLA's latest short interest data is now available: Tesla Motors, Inc. (TSLA) Short Interest - NASDAQ.com

No material change in short interest in the month of March. We'll have to wait for the April data to see if there was any substantial covering recently.

Screen Shot 2013-04-09 at 1.38.40 PM.png

I have attempted to comprehend this thread after re-reading it, I am only assured that I know practically nothing about options trading. So after tracking along with this topic for a few days, I do have one question that I was wondering could pose as a possible/partial explanation.

In this separate thread, it speaks of some brokerage firms providing their investors (long) with a share borrow model. Is it possible that these shares, available to borrow, could constitute an available pool of shares that these "rolling" option contracts are being traded against?
Willing to let someone borrow your Tesla shares?

Given that it appears that each stock holder is contacted directly by their brokerage house, how are these borrowed shared registered?

@luvb2b - thanks for your insight on this and for bringing this thread forward for our further understanding.

Looks like full scale last ditch attack on Tesla - see post below copied from the Tesla Motors Enthusiasts Forum:

larno | April 9, 2013 cfr DonS & scaesare
So are we to conclude that there is no more backlog for the US (all reservations that have finalized have been/are being produced)?
That might certainly explain the announcement of the 'financing product' (aka the leasing) for the Model S. It would then also imply that demand for the Model S in the US has stagnated, or even dropped.

I would expect the sales to follow a typical 'hype cycle', but more in the form of the video game hype cycle, avoiding the 'Trough of Disillusionment'
video-game-hype-cycle1.png

Did you happen to check SolarCity's stock? Does it have similar activity?

don't follow solarcity, but in 20+ years i've never seen anything so difficult to understand in the options world.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it possible that these shares, available to borrow, could constitute an available pool of shares that these "rolling" option contracts are being traded against?
Given that it appears that each stock holder is contacted directly by their brokerage house, how are these borrowed shared registered?

but then why bother with the options? just borrow those shares and short them. no need for an extra step. and of course if he borrows the shares he pays the borrowing costs, which are horrible.

@luvb2b - thanks for your insight on this and for bringing this thread forward for our further understanding.

today's activity doesn't fit well with any of my explanations. i am pretty well lost too now. i called a friend who had been an options market maker for a while, and even he had no idea.

jeff- I don't Option SCTY - but do have some stock, so I follow it and check the Options from time to time;
Answer to your ? is No- nothing even close to this kind of thing happening there; Trade volumes are well below Open Interest with rare exceptions;
Bid-Ask pretty wide but normal for low volume Option listing like SCTY or TSLA (as opposed to an APPL for example);
I see no sign of any correlation over there

Ok, if someone "big guy" sells 20,000 calls(2M shares) to market maker. Obviously not an individual investor but someone who have direct access to floor...

Market maker hedges by selling naked shorts and exercise calls right away.

3 days passed. No shares delivered.

One or two more days passed. Shares show up(as we saw) in failed to deliver data. By law MM is about to have to take actions or whatever(please collaborate) against party that sold him calls.

But "big guy" not interested in delivering shares. Next thing - big guy sells new 20,000 calls to MM again! Market maker "transfer" short position he has hedged previous calls with to new contracts. And MM quietly marks previous calls as delivered. MM exercise new calls.

Repeat loop.

1) This way "big guy" had to sell new calls every week. Explains huge volume of option trading we see each week.
2) "Big guy" do not need to buy shares on open market. Explains low day trading volume.
3) Market maker technically protected. At any time MM got call contracts that are exercised and is waiting for delivery of shares. Also MM position is hedged.

A perfect rolling naked short without need to pay "TSLA Cost to Borrow", except to sell calls to MM at discount to intrinsic value of a stock... And sure "big guy" will need to have a buddy on MM side, but all MM's accounts are holding correct sums, all positions are hedged and all contracts are in place...

luvb2b, what do you think?

- - - Updated - - -

And btw, it explains another inconsistency.
Trades were done on March 5th, March 12th, March 19th, March 25th, and April 2nd.
Four out of five of those days TSLA were up. So no huge positions were shorted on those days...

Last edited:
today's activity doesn't fit well with any of my explanations. i am pretty well lost too now. i called a friend who had been an options market maker for a while, and even he had no idea.

Whoever is doing this must be quite hell-bent on it, and would have to follow the stock very closely. If so, the idea of that person not reading this forum is rather absurd. So: Would you keep doing the same thing if someone were on to you? Or would you change your MO (either to be able to keep your short position, or to obfuscate your trading pattern and create some sort of plausible story for what you have done)?

Whoever is doing this must be quite hell-bent on it, and would have to follow the stock very closely. If so, the idea of that person not reading this forum is rather absurd. So: Would you keep doing the same thing if someone were on to you? Or would you change your MO (either to be able to keep your short position, or to obfuscate your trading pattern and create some sort of plausible story for what you have done)?

+1. Not implausible. Luvb2b also mentioned word of an ongoing/iminent investigation. Surely the person doing this, in collusion with the Market Maker, knows of this as well.

+1. Not implausible. Luvb2b also mentioned word of an ongoing/iminent investigation. Surely the person doing this, in collusion with the Market Maker, knows of this as well.

I've spoken to folks with both large and small short positions. They all read TMC forums and it would be the opposite of shocking if this guy is paying attention to this thread.

Frankly, all of the smart money has research staff monitoring TMC, or else they are failing the essential test of smartness and should not be considered as such.

One or two more days passed. Shares show up(as we saw) in failed to deliver data. By law MM is about to have to take actions or whatever(please collaborate) against party that sold him calls.

the problem now is that he's become so big that he would cause tesla to show up on the reg sho threshhold list. which it has not.
2 million shares is more than 2% of the float. even a quarter of these shares being fails-to-deliver would put him on the reg sho list, which only requires a 0.5% fail-to-deliver rate.

1) This way "big guy" had to sell new calls every week. Explains huge volume of option trading we see each week.
2) "Big guy" do not need to buy shares on open market. Explains low day trading volume.

i thought about this sort of thing too. except several problems - first, i have watched these trades go off and they usually go off after the stock is down a bit. it does look like the market maker is hedging out at least part of this beforehand. second, if it's two unrelated parties, i think the share volume has to show up as a trade. even if the trade is done in a dark pool i think it has to be reported on the consolidated tape somewhere, and therefore get counted into volume. we're not seeing big enough block trades on these days to account for this guy.

i suppose one possibility is that the trader is somehow affiliated with the market maker, so positions might be transferred internally without trade reporting? and then maybe they don't report the shares failed to deliver? but this makes no sense either, because the options get exercised against each other and offset the trade internally. so why even bother to put that on an exchange, just do it as an internal accounting entry.

A perfect rolling naked short without need to pay "TSLA Cost to Borrow", except to sell calls to MM at discount to intrinsic value of a stock... And sure "big guy" will need to have a buddy on MM side, but all MM's accounts are holding correct sums, all positions are hedged and all contracts are in place... Trades were done on March 5th, March 12th, March 19th, March 25th, and April 2nd. Four out of five of those days TSLA were up. So no huge positions were shorted on those days...

i understand your explanation. i was thinking that way as mentioned above, but can't quite make it work.

as far as no big shorts on those days, that's not necessarily true. shorts sell into a rally quite often, and generally when i watched those trades go off it was towards the lows of the day. for example the stock would go up, and then reverse as if someone was selling into it, and then the prints would show up.

i dunno man. hoping that one of the regulators will get back to me with an explanation.

they said they are looking into it, but historically the philly has been the dirtiest exchange out there. they were cited in the past for not having adequate policing.
http://www.sec.gov/news/press/2006/2006-84.htm

- - - Updated - - -

right, and some of the patterns have changed in the last week. some of the blocks are smaller. they are spreading across more strikes. the time of day has gotten later on some of the prints.

but no matter what they do, it's hard to hide this stuff. they have to go into deep in the money strikes where the time premium is near zero. otherwise they'll start putting up big prints well outside of where the options are trading and it will definitely arouse more suspicion. so as a daily check one just has to run through the first few expirations with strikes that are a few dollars or more in the money.

the jun 25 calls are the most glaring. once a week this trade gets done in good size with no increase in open interest. he can try to move to the jun 32/33s as he has, but that doesn't really hide him much.

all you have to do is look to the deep in the money strikes. look for prints that are near zero or negative intrinsic value (i.e. zero time premium), and then check open interest one day to the next. if the open interest doesn't change with big volume in the contract, then where are all those traded options contracts going?

- - - Updated - - -

so let me clear the wording. i know the trades are being reviewed and investigated. but that doesn't mean there's a formal investigation ongoing. i hope you understand the subtle difference.

i don't know why it would take them more than a day or two to review this stuff. especially with the huge volume that went off yesterday. but the regulators move real slow. so who knows.

Updated Open Interest

updating open interest from yesterday - no changes as usual. 20,000 deep in the money calls trade on one exchange. open interest changes by a total of less than 200 contracts in those series. wtf. the picture below shows the most actives table from yesterday and then matches to the open interest off today's quote board. price tables are copied/pasted from nasdaq.com.

stock sure has an easier time going up when there aren't two million phantom shares being sold into it.

tesla_options_20130410.png

open interest changes by a total of less than 200 contracts in those series. wtf.

Due to time value of options, it's very rare to have options exercised before expiration. Even so, if 333 contracts are open. Then 2,000 are traded and exercised. Every person short that contract should have a 2,000/2,333 chance of getting exercised.

Anyone short these calls getting assigned early?

luvb2b,
Thanks for your diligence on this. I made a big bet yesterday buying calls based on your thesis. I assumed that the 3% decline was largely due to this the "phantom shares" as you called them and that buyers would come in to pick up the pieces today. Worked out nicely as you can see.