TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The Rules of Model S Road Tripping

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Doug_G, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

2. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

The calm voice of Uncle Doug telling it like it is: this is a superb primer on EV road tripping.

3. Jack_L

Jack_L Member

As one who is getting closer to ordering a MS, I found Doug's blog very helpful and reassuring. Thanks for a well written and most informative piece!

4. Holden

Holden Member

Meanwhile, the first pic has me convinced that THAT red is the absolute best color for a Model S. Wow. (And I still far prefer the 19" wheels.)

5. bob_p

bob_p Member

Might be useful to provide estimates on charging rates for different charging stations/connections. Of course, those will vary but especially for first time long distance drivers - it's an unknown.

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking of adding an "appendix" with some extra details like that, and also some Roadster-specific details.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to tell you that I've got my summers on now, and they're on 21" grey wheels. But yes, the Sig Red looks gorgeous on a Model S.

7. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

THIS thread has a list of places to plug in, and how fast each is theoretically capable of charging.

THIS thread (the second half of the first long post) gives some example rates that I observed on a road trip.

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I added a charge rate table. There wasn't enough room for the Roadster stuff - there's a character limit on blog posts! I'll find another place to put that.

9. epley

epley P85 VIN 693