TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The Rules of Model S Road Tripping

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Doug_G, Apr 22, 2013.

1. jake13S

jake13S Member

Thanks Doug_G...I will check out some I'm sure....we'll see

J

2. Archduke

Archduke Member

Thank you, Doug. This is the best post I've seen so far on TeslaMotorsClub.

3. electric frank

WOW!!!! SUPER helpful, Doug - thanks for your efforts putting this together. First time EV owner (I don't count my GEM car) waiiting for my CPO S85 delivery. Trying to absorb all our your collective experience.

4. jan van hecke

jan van hecke New Member

Thank you Doug and followers. A must read item for all new drivers. Greetings from Belgium!

5. BobbyO

BobbyO New Member

Best day today when I hooked up with TMC... Model S owner and always looking for great tips....Thanks

6. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

Doug, great blog. I think you captured everything.

It is interesting that you had the foresight to predict the arrival of 100D in 2013 -:)

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I've made a few minor updates, because some things have had major changes over time.

8. Don TLR

Don TLR Active Member

Thank You Doug,, I'm new to EV and Tesla,, picking my CPO P85 this week and learned a lot from your tips!

• Like x 1
  9. Thiago

Thiago S75D

Wow. I am really happy to have stumbled here.
    Great insight and thoroughly written. I am yet to experience a winter but would appreciate any tips regarding a trip to the slopes. Something other than what's said here to watch for while climbing the Alps?

10. CinRedMan

CinRedMan Member

Great info from 2013. Curious if there are any significant changes with respect to 2016/2017 technology & enhancements. Once I take delivery of my 2017 MS100D, I would be more than happy to share my personal observations

11. DIL

DIL Member

You learn something new everyday...on TMC. Thanks for the great post. I’m sure somebody has already asked but what’s that pretty thing under wraps next to your MS?

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The main difference is AWD, which improves handling in snow even with less-than-stellar winter tires. I still recommend getting good tires though!

Little things wiper heaters and steering wheel heaters really have no impact except convenience. Rear seat heaters may help on long trips with a full passenger load.

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Tesla Roadster.

14. zeusdlord

zeusdlord New Member

Great post for long trips. I am new owner of MX and surely this post will be in my trip check list for long trips..

15. Sharpgt

Sharpgt Member

Incredibly helpful tips and advice! Thanks!

16. ACA Man

ACA Man Member

Thanks for this!

17. chetmmd

chetmmd Member

I would add this: While on a road trip, plan ahead and incorporate your charges into your plans. Sounds easy, no?

Well, it factors not only into the road trip but when you get there. I just had one to Washington DC and back. When I got there, I wanted lunch with my family. We drove around and found a Panera bread....but shouldn't I have driven to the supercharger at Potomac Mills and ate lunch while charging the car?

Then, late at night when I DID drive to Potomac Mills and charged the car (and by this point I had to, I was down to 16 miles), I should 've brought a family member with me, so we could wander into the grill nearby and I would have had somebody to share my beer with. (I grasp that Tesla cannot exactly say 'have a beer while you are charging your car, but nonetheless...'

And when I stopped at Laurel the nest day, learning my lesson I made it clear that it was dinnertime at well. There is A buffalo Wild Wings next to the supercharger there.

So, to go along with the theme of the post, a EV is a bit of a lifestyle change, but it can be a pleasant one, if you just start to think a little differently

18. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

This is all great advice for beginners when striking out from your home, but especially in areas where supercharger coverage is thin.

With experience, however, one begins to realize that a better strategy is to charge no more than necessary to reach a supercharger with as little margin as is comfortable, given uncertainties about the route and conditions. EV driving is more like driving in the days when we were young and poor and put no more fuel in the vehicle than necessary. That way, the charging time is minimized.

The folks who drove the Tesla cross country charging time run reportedly used a buffer of as little as 3% and passed up superchargers in many cases to keep their state of charge as low as possible. That approach is not for every one and we like a buffer of 20% on unfamiliar routes and 10% on very familiar routes.

The bottom line of this approach is that it is virtually never necessary to charge to 100%, so 95% is plenty and that keeps the car out of the reduced regenerative braking mode. If you find yourself charging to 100%, it's probably because you are trying to go too far per leg of your journey, which is only serving to feed your range anxiety. By not charging as much, and recharging sooner, you will likely save on your total travel time, as well as your nerves.

Of course, there may still be some areas where the superchargers are nearly 400 km apart and you have to cut it close. But they are disappearing rapidly with the push to fill out the network.

• Like x 1
  19. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

@ThosEM Yes the Supercharger network is changing the equation, but I don't entirely agree with your position. Yes if you want to minimize total trip time, deliberately coming into a Supercharger at 3% is the way to do it. You always charge at the fastest rate possible. However, you are also rolling the dice. All it takes is one detour or a missed exit to end up on a flatbed. I'd rather take an extra 10 minutes per stop.

• Like x 1
  20. Limbo2121

Limbo2121 Active Member

Great; much appreciated. Thnx and regards from the Netherlands.