Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"The S and X are better cars than the Model 3" - Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

viper2ko

Aug 30, 2017
USA
As each day goes by I'm finding this statement from Elon a few conference calls ago getting farther and farther from the truth. How can you say this yet not allow new S and X to support V3 supercharger? It even took a full year after Model 3 was released to upgrade the MCU in the S and X. My S is two years old and I'm fine with not being to use V3 supercharger at 250KW. But they are still building and selling cars that can't, which just seems wrong.

I think the pace of innovation here is really exciting.

When you move that fast - faster than any reasonable and sustainable refresh rate of an automotive platform - you have some necessary amount of leapfrogging as new products emerge.

It’s the only way Tesla is going to survive as a company, and frankly I find the bitching about this to be utterly pointless. We’re all early adopters in a very fast moving market. There’s really no excuse for being surprised.

I think the pace of innovation here is really exciting.

When you move that fast - faster than any reasonable and sustainable refresh rate of an automotive platform - you have some necessary amount of leapfrogging as new products emerge.

It’s the only way Tesla is going to survive as a company, and frankly I find the bitching about this to be utterly pointless. We’re all early adopters in a very fast moving market. There’s really no excuse for being surprised.

This. I'm not an S owner, but I am an early 3 LR RWD owner. Today a new buyer can order my config as AWD and with FSD tacked on for the same price I paid. Yet my car remains just as awesome as it was on day one. In fact, it's more awesome from several OTA upgrades and is about to receive more power and range via another OTA update.

Progress is fun. It's unevenly distributed but eventually we all benefit.

The poster has a good point though. You buy a Model S today you get a bigger car, but dated technology. You buy a Model 3 you get the latest technology.

You buy a BMW 5 series, it will always be at least as good as, and typically better than, a 3 series. They're never that far apart because of course BMW would rather you buy the 5 series.

I agree upgrades are unusual in the auto industry and 25% faster charging is appreciated, it doesn't feel like a huge differentiator for a $30-$40k price difference.

The poster has a good point though. You buy a Model S today you get a bigger car, but dated technology. You buy a Model 3 you get the latest technology.

You buy a BMW 5 series, it will always be at least as good as, and typically better than, a 3 series. They're never that far apart because of course BMW would rather you buy the 5 series.

I agree upgrades are unusual in the auto industry and 25% faster charging is appreciated, it doesn't feel like a huge differentiator for a $30-$40k price difference.

That BMW example is not always true. Over the years I owned many a BMW 7 series car. BMW would often introduce some new feature in the 3 or 5 and it could take a model year or two for that feature to show up in the 7 series. It's strictly a volume issue. The 7 being a low production vehicle, the costs for re-tooling and re-engineering were too high for them to keep making feature changes so they would introduce them in the 3/5 models and recoup their development costs before moving them to the lower production models. This is not unusual in the industry.

Well, I think it's assumed that the current Model S/X are older technology, but we don't really know that for sure. Folks were saying upon its release that the Model 3 had a lot more tech in both computing and battery design compared to the S/X at the time. If the assumption that current S/X will not utilize V3 Supercharging than I would join you in your criticism, but right now we just don't have the facts. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a future OTA update for 2018 and newer Model S/X to unlock some faster charging rates.

Reactions: shellderp and OPRCE
Someone post something from Elon/Tesla that states the S/X wont get V3 supercharging full capability. Then I’ll believe it.

I’m thinking it’s just a battery software update coming for S/X. The M3 cell structure allows for better energy density, but likely charging rate capabilities are very similar for all models.

Reactions: Jack007 and OPRCE
...S/X wont get V3 supercharging full capability. Then I’ll believe it...

If you read the blog, the emphasis is V3 and Model 3.

"We’re launching V3 Supercharging for Model 3, our highest volume vehicle, and we’ll continue to expand access as we review and assess the results of millions of charging events. We will increase Model S and X charging speeds via software updates in the coming months."

V2 and S/X took a back seat with some consolations: V2 and S and X will be faster but the post does not mention that they will reach V3 speed.

I believe next-generation S and X will catch up with V3 someday but I am doubtful for current S and X with current technology.

Let the model 3 owners enjoy their honeymoon. When Y comes up, 3 will be left behind. Then they will join S and X owners complaining about Elon

Look. I understand technology evolves. No way older S and X can get all the new features. The issue is Elon. The guy keeps lying and set incorrect expectations. That is what pissing people off

I don’t understood why they have not released a next gen X and S yet. High end models are the one giving him the best margin. Besides their size, give me one reason why I should buy X or S today.

It has been obvious for a long time now that Model 3 is really Tesla Version 3 no matter what Tesla wanted us to believe when they were still trying to sell Model S/X and were only starting to ramp up Model 3.

The 21-70 battery cell has shown its superiority in many features now and I expect it will continue to do so.

Too bad Tesla felt the need to go through the motions to convince us otherwise.

Reactions: viper2ko
I do have both and while the 3 is nice, my favorite to drive is my oldest S.

Analogy:

IPhone 6+ (Plus) to and iPhone 8 (non plus)

Both amazing technology in their own right.
The former will be larger, perhaps more comfortable to text with, larger screen, same software, older chip, architecture, older hardware, older assembly techniques, older but perhaps stronger casing/body however will not process as fast as the newer but smaller model.

Yet someone will pay a bit less for it, for the added comfort, the size and basically the same software...for the same or lower price than the newer, quicker software 8 with some nifty new features.

I love my S and I’m sure I’d be as enthralled with a 3 even though the S just fits better with me.

Enough said :)

Last edited:
S will get some love, but not for a while yet. They have a lot on their plate. I personally will wait to upgrade from my P85D. I just don't see any point in upgrading to a current (P)100D as it's largely the same as my current car in most respects. Once they go to a full 21-70 battery pack with 400 EPA miles, update the interior and move to HW3 autopilot, then I think it may be time to consider an upgrade.