Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The S85 vs. P85, Minnesota Winter Blues Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read through numerous threads about the pros/cons of the standard 85 vs. the performance 85. Price is somewhat of an issue for me, but I also know that my ego may regret not biting the bullet on the performance version. But then I layer that dilemma with the fact that I live in Minnesota and don't have the luxury of having a different car to use during the winter. I have read about the torque being so strong with the standard car, that icy streets can cause excessive spinning (more than usual). I assume that the P85 would be potentially worse. My daily driving consists of taking a kid to school, a 5 mile commute and sometimes crosstown travel for meetings, appointments, etc.

I am OK with buying snow tires and changing them out seasonally. Can anyone give me some insight to the realities of daily driving a P85 with snow tires in our climate?

I don't think you'll have too much of an issue unless you're one of the "binary accelerator pedal" types, where it's either "on" or "off". I'm in St. Louis so I can't compare too easily, although I drove mine fairly easily in snow last year.

If you're worried about driving in winter, get winter tires.
If you're really worried about driving in winter, get winter tires and chains.
If you're really, really worried about driving in, get winter tires and chains and keep an eye on your range at low temperatures.

Nothing about winter driving plays into the S85 vs. P85 decision, IMO.

It might play into the Plus package decision (since that package involves summer wheels and tires).

I have had my car since Christmas Day last year so I have a decent amount of a winter season under my belt.

When I started out I had the summer tires on my P85 and really didn't have to many issues with them. About 30 days in I had them swapped with winter tires and it was even better.

I came from an AWD VW and I honestly think the Model S with winter tires easily out preforms that car with all seasons. When I had real winter tires on the R32 I would say they were on par with each other.

So as Brianman said I don't think it should really factor into your choice. Now if we were talking about the summer that might change things a bit...:smile:

My only advice to add is that the car is pretty heavy so you can get stuck in slush when it turns to ice. Turn off traction control and you can get unstuck rather well. Tesla Motors did their winter testing in Baudette, MN, so you're in good company up here with a Tesla. I think for pure ego reasons, you should have winter tires, because you don't want performance to be impacted, even in winter. Besides, you saved money by not getting the Performance model.

I appreciate all of the advice everyone. I am leaning toward the P85 and will put on snow tires. I think I will wait a bit to order so that I don't take delivery until Spring. I hate getting any new car mid-winter. The cost may go up, but who knows what features may be added in several months (fingers crossed for 4WD) ... ?

I have the S85 with all-season tires on 19" wheels. I also think P85 vs. S85 is irrelevant as it's easy to control how much torque you're putting down. I was a Feb '12 delivery and found the car to be just as good as any front wheel drive car. The traction/stability control does a great job, IMO.
My main concern is the ride height or clearance. I've pleaded with Tesla to allow us to override the speed sensitive suspension setting(on air suspension only, of course). Sometimes you just want it set to "Very High" and carry a little more speed to traverse an unplowed road. Maybe a few more of us need to contact them??

I have never had the wheels spin due to too much torque on ice (had my S85 since last October). It worked great with the 19" all season tires although I have heard it works even better with the winter tires.
The traction control is exceptional.

As far is timing of delivery, I would recommend getting the car in the winter. The range is cut about 30% (200 miles) in the winter. However, when spring arrives it is like getting the car for the first time all over again;)
Although I can't fault you for the delay to see if the car improves.
If I had waited 10 months I could have had parking sensors and the winter package. However, I would have also missed out on 10 months of the best driving experience I have ever had!

If you are not already planning on it, I hope you would join us at NPID at the State Capitol National Plug In Day - Twin Cities